Play files other than .ts via Recorded TV section

Discussion in 'Television (MyTV frontend and TV-Server)' started by fiseor, November 16, 2012.

1. fiseor

fiseor Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    United States of America United States of America
    I know the first thing most people will say is go watch the video in the Videos section instead. Yes, I can do that and it does work. However, I find I'm running into the problem of where the less tech savvy people in my household cannot find a recorded show because of this.

I have a process setup that automatically converts recorded shows to MPEG-4 to save on harddrive space. It then deletes the .ts file and deletes the proper row in the "recoding" table of the sql db. At this point I can go to the Videos section and watch the video. However, depending on whether the video has been converted or not, it could either be in Videos or the Record Tv section, which confuses the rest of my family. I also like having it in the Recorded TV section as that keeps track of the watched status, which I use in other processes.

I realize this is probably more my own problem than MediaPortal's, but I was just curious if there was a way to change it to where the Recorded TV section could also play m4v videos. I can easily update the fileName column in the sql database with the proper path to the m4v files, but when I tried that, it woudn't play it even though the row was displayed in the Recorded TV section.

Thanks!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. kiwijunglist
    • Team MediaPortal

kiwijunglist Super Moderator

Doctor
    Ratings:
    +1,849 / 9
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Show System Specs
    why don't you just have the my videos section point to the recorded tv folder as well as any other folders that you use. That way your family members can use videos for both videos and recorded tv.

4. fiseor

fiseor Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    United States of America United States of America
    Thanks for the suggestion, I hadn't thought of that.

I ended up getting it to work by installing the latest version of MediaPortal, which I should have done from the beginning, but didn't think of until after I posted. All is working well, sorry for the wasted bandwidth.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!