Playback blips when watching live or currently recording TV (1 Viewer)

DragonQ

Portal Pro
August 30, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Whilst watching something live that is currently being recorded, I get fairly common playback errors. They behave exactly as if there were continuity errors in the stream (e.g. poor satellite signal) but the recordings are perfect and the logs contain nothing of interest. I've even watched the Task Manager of both my TV server and HTPC for CPU usage, disk usage, and network usage spikes and I cannot see any reason for the playback errors. LAV Filters is being used on my client machine, in CUVID mode. The two machines are connected via a switch at 1 Gb/s.

I deleted all of my logs, set both loggers to "debug", fired up MediaPortal on my HTPC and chose to watch a currently recording channel from the live point. I watched for 5 minutes or so and the problem occurred 3 times. I then exited MediaPortal and the logs are attached. Any advice is appreciated!

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello :)

I can see late video/audio render warnings and a few continuity errors in the TsReader log files, but nothing in the TsWriter log. In other words, it appears to be a client-side problem... or possibly an issue with the link between server and client.

Does the problem occur if you are not playing at the live point?
    Have you tried using UNC paths instead of RTSP?
    If yes, does it make any difference?

DragonQ

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2011
    Home Country
    Not sure but I will try both of those things today. It seems odd that there'd be a network issue when playback of my DVD/BD rips are all perfect, and obviously some of those have a much higher bit rate than broadcast HDTV.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    It seems odd that there'd be a network issue when playback of my DVD/BD rips are all perfect, and obviously some of those have a much higher bit rate than broadcast HDTV.
    That's not a fair comparison because DVD/BD rips are not "live" media. With non-live content, the player/splitter can buffer as much data as is necessary to overcome glitchy links. This is why I asked if it made a difference when not playing at the live point of the recording. :)

DragonQ

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2011
    Home Country
    I just watched a currently recording show from the beginning (so nowhere near live) and within 2 minutes saw a glitch. Logs attached. I'm using the standard 1.11.0 TS Reader.

EDIT: I switched to using UNC paths and I've been watching a currently recording show from the live point for an hour without issues. It's SD though, still need to test with HD.

Last edited:

DragonQ

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2011
    Home Country
    Quick update: I haven't seen this issue once since switching to UNC paths. I avoided using UNC paths in the past because it caused other issues but so far everything is fine so I'll stick with it for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom