Playback of a HD video crashes (1 Viewer)

Ere Maijala

Portal Member
April 25, 2013
Home Country
Finland Finland
Hi All,

I have some issues with playback of HD recordings. I have one particular recording that doesn't play at all. Attached is an excerpt from the log. Looks like the playback fails with HRESULT 0x8004022A, but I don't know why. Any ideas or anything else I can try?

I also have intermittent issues with playback stopping when skipping through HD recordings. It seems the playback crashes with the same HRESULT. Another piece of log with one crash is attached.

This is on a single-seat Windows 8.1 system using EVR, LAV Decoders, DVB subs and Mediaportal Audio Renderer.

Thanks,
Ere

Attachments

• Playback failure.txt
    8.6 KB
  • Skip failure.txt
    26.6 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello Ere

The error could be from any of the components in the DirectShow player graph - TsReader, LAV codecs, DVB subtitles handler, or renderers. Without TsReader, DVB subs and EVR log files I'm not able to say anything more.

Ere Maijala

Portal Member
    April 25, 2013
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Thanks for the reply. EVR and SVB subs logs are attached. DVB subs log is from a new run since it seems to get overwritten. Looks like on this particular file I used on the second test I can introduce the skip failure quite reliably by playing to 13 seconds and skipping back 10 seconds.

--Ere

Ere Maijala

Portal Member
    April 25, 2013
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Oops, sorry about that. TsReader log from the same run as the DVB subs log is attached.

--Ere

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I'm not seeing any errors in the log files you've provided, which suggests that the error is coming from one of the LAV codecs.
    I would suggest to try different video and audio codecs and see if it makes a difference. If different codecs work, you could also try to upgrade or downgrade the LAV codecs.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    From the TsReader log, I'm a little bit suspicious it's audio related - do you decode AC3 in LAV, or bitstream it to an AV amp/receiver ?

(the audio renderer in the logs is "Digitaalinen lähtö (2–Audio Advantage Micro 2)")

Ere Maijala

Portal Member
    April 25, 2013
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Thanks for the analysis and suggestions. I do indeed use LAV to decode AC3 and also PCM audio goes through the Audio Advantage 2 (USB -> optical) to an AV receiver. I quickly played with the settings and found that changing audio decoder helps, but I'll need to test more to see if there's anything that would help with LAV (looks like the MS codec didn't do multichannel at least by default). I also tried upgrading LAV to a recent nightly build, but to avail. For some reason Media Player Classic didn't have trouble playing the file that doesn't play with LAV audio under MP, but I've yet to check if there's something in its settings that might affect it.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    If you don't mind trying something, can you try the experimental TsReader.ax here please - https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...ching-for-testing.130394/page-17#post-1150332

Close MP, put the new TsReader into:

64Bit OS : C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal
    32Bit

(after making a backup copy of the original TsReader.ax file)

The new version has some significant audio related changes, so I'm interested to find out if it fixes the problem.

Ere Maijala

Portal Member
    April 25, 2013
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Thanks @Owlsroost, awesome stuff! After a quick test with the experimental TsReader.ax I can say that the file that wouldn't start playing now plays without a hitch, and I couldn't get skipping to crash at all. :) I'll report further findings if there are any issues.

--Ere

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom