Playback of rar files not working anymore

Discussion in '1.3.x' started by kobus, March 26, 2013.

1. kobus

kobus Portal Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    MediaPortal Version: 1.3.0

Description
    The playback of rarfiles is not working in MP 1.3.0 (also not in 1.3RC). The video files within the rar files do show up in the overview. But when trying to play the file the error message "Unable to play: ...." pops up.
    Please also see this thread: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/plugin-rarfilesource-a-rar-filter.91958/page-7
    Since RARfilesource is not a typical plugin (but a filter) I think this is a MP bug.

Steps to Reproduce:
    Rarfilesource should be installed.
    Navigate to My videos
    play video file within rar files will give the error

Last edited by a moderator: April 3, 2013
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. HomeY
    • Team MediaPortal

HomeY Test Group

Network Engineer
    Ratings:
    +4,736 / 16
    Home Country:
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Show System Specs
    It seems that filter hasn't been updated for over 2 years, and latest compatibility is MediaPortal v1.1.2
    This version seems to have had an update a year ago, and also supports MediaPortal v1.2.x so give that a try.
    If that doesn't help, please report the problem to the author of the plugin/filter.

4. kobus

kobus Portal Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    The link I provided in my first post is the plugins main page, I have reported the problem there also (and some other people too). But it seems the plugin/filter is no longer maintained.

Since it's a filter which still works in WMP and VLC for example, and the "problem" only occurs with the MediaPortal player which is why I think not the filter but the player should be fixed to keep the filter working.

I have installed the filter through the MPEI installer of MP 1.3.0 and this gave no compatibility warnings.

PS: The filter is still working with MP 1.2.3

Last edited: April 3, 2013
  5. HomeY
    • Team MediaPortal

HomeY Test Group

Network Engineer
    Ratings:
    +4,736 / 16
    Home Country:
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Show System Specs
    Still, the plugin doesn't show compatibility for the latest release, so we have to assume it's not compatible. And sorry, but we're not gonna change code on our player so incompatible plugins still work, that needs to be the other way around. We supply core functionality and plugins can hook into that, not the other way around ;)

Best thing is to get ahold on the author of the plugin and see if he can fix your problems. Alternatively (and that's what i would do!) is simply look for and option to auto-extract your files, because.... playing from RAR files can never be a solid way!

I'm gonna set this to No Bug.

6. robomonkey

robomonkey Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I'm sorry, it's definitely a bug.

On my system with a clean install the rar filter works ok, then (and this is after a lot of testing with partition images) simply opening the MP Config and closing it, making no changes, it breaks it.

There is a setting which is being applied the first time you open MP Config which isn't there on a clean install.

7. Marvman
    • Team MediaPortal

Marvman Retired Team Member

Application Developer
    Ratings:
    +368 / 0
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    The filter still works for MP 1.3.
    With MP 1.3 you can select a splitter source (settings -> video codec section), default is LAV Splitter, you have to select the "rar file source".

cheers

• Like Like x 4
  8. kobus

kobus Portal Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Thanks!
    That does the trick.

9. Marvman
    • Team MediaPortal

Marvman Retired Team Member

Application Developer
    Ratings:
    +368 / 0
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    Tip: If you choose Haali as filter, you won't get an error from the rar file filter when you play non rar files. ;)

Last edited: April 23, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  10. gambler3k

gambler3k Portal Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Home Country:
    Sweden Sweden
    Sorry but iam not following, kinda new to this, should i install haali media splitter? I got the rar playing part working but get that error u talk about :)

11. kobus

kobus Portal Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Yes.

After a clean MP 1.3.0 I installed Haali Media Splitter from here: http://haali.su/mkv/
    Then go to the video codec settings page and choose Haali media splitter as splitter source:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 31, 2013

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!