Playback of rar files not working anymore (1 Viewer)

kobus

Portal Member
February 12, 2008
MediaPortal Version: 1.3.0

Description
The playback of rarfiles is not working in MP 1.3.0 (also not in 1.3RC). The video files within the rar files do show up in the overview. But when trying to play the file the error message "Unable to play: ...." pops up.
Please also see this thread: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/plugin-rarfilesource-a-rar-filter.91958/page-7
Since RARfilesource is not a typical plugin (but a filter) I think this is a MP bug.

Steps to Reproduce:
Rarfilesource should be installed.
Navigate to My videos
play video file within rar files will give the error

Last edited by a moderator:

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    It seems that filter hasn't been updated for over 2 years, and latest compatibility is MediaPortal v1.1.2
    This version seems to have had an update a year ago, and also supports MediaPortal v1.2.x so give that a try.
    If that doesn't help, please report the problem to the author of the plugin/filter.

kobus

Portal Member
    February 12, 2008
    The link I provided in my first post is the plugins main page, I have reported the problem there also (and some other people too). But it seems the plugin/filter is no longer maintained.

Since it's a filter which still works in WMP and VLC for example, and the "problem" only occurs with the MediaPortal player which is why I think not the filter but the player should be fixed to keep the filter working.

I have installed the filter through the MPEI installer of MP 1.3.0 and this gave no compatibility warnings.

PS: The filter is still working with MP 1.2.3

Last edited:

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Still, the plugin doesn't show compatibility for the latest release, so we have to assume it's not compatible. And sorry, but we're not gonna change code on our player so incompatible plugins still work, that needs to be the other way around. We supply core functionality and plugins can hook into that, not the other way around ;)

Best thing is to get ahold on the author of the plugin and see if he can fix your problems. Alternatively (and that's what i would do!) is simply look for and option to auto-extract your files, because.... playing from RAR files can never be a solid way!

I'm gonna set this to No Bug.

robomonkey

Portal Pro
    August 4, 2005
    I'm sorry, it's definitely a bug.

On my system with a clean install the rar filter works ok, then (and this is after a lot of testing with partition images) simply opening the MP Config and closing it, making no changes, it breaks it.

There is a setting which is being applied the first time you open MP Config which isn't there on a clean install.

Marvman

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2007
    Bavaria
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The filter still works for MP 1.3.
    With MP 1.3 you can select a splitter source (settings -> video codec section), default is LAV Splitter, you have to select the "rar file source".

cheers

Marvman

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2007
    Bavaria
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Tip: If you choose Haali as filter, you won't get an error from the rar file filter when you play non rar files. ;)

Last edited:

gambler3k

Portal Member
    March 11, 2013
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Tip: If you choose Haali as filter, you won't get an error from the rar file filter when you play non rar files. ;)
    Sorry but iam not following, kinda new to this, should i install haali media splitter? I got the rar playing part working but get that error u talk about :)

kobus

Portal Member
    February 12, 2008
    Yes.

After a clean MP 1.3.0 I installed Haali Media Splitter from here: http://haali.su/mkv/
    Then go to the video codec settings page and choose Haali media splitter as splitter source:
    Configuration_Video_Codecs_for_TS.PNG

Attachments

• Configuration_Video_Codecs_for_TS.PNG
      Configuration_Video_Codecs_for_TS.PNG
      60.5 KB
    Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom