Playback problem with .m4v files (1 Viewer)

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Guys,

I have recently been converting my films and TV series to a .m4v format using Handbrake. This is to enable them to be played on the GF's iTouch.

I have now come up against a codec problem, in that the converted files will not play in MP (although they do play well in VLC). Whenever I try to play them I get a dialog box popping up saying "unable to play... video codec: AVC "

I currently use SAF 6 unlocked and also the MS-DVD codec that comes with Win7. I have rarely had codec problems, so would be grateful if someone could offer a solution to this one.

Many thanks in advance.

M.

matpe

Portal Pro
    June 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I think i only have one m4v file, and it works in MP after i have added the extension.
    In MP and MPC-HC, LAV Filters are being used (Splitter, Audio, Video)
    In GraphStudio, Lav Splitter and Microsoft DTV-DVD Video/Audio Decoder are being used.
    Tested with ATI 5770 and only LAV Filters installed.

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Matpe,

Thanks for the reply.

After thinking about this, I have now found out the cause. The first thing I did was add the .m4v extension to the video extensions list in MP and I had no problems playing these file types at all.

I realised that I had added VLC player so I could easily check the playback of these converted files. This must have added something to the codec list that was preventing MP's codecs playing back the file. I un-installed VLC, and just to be sure, re-installed SAF6 and all was OK again.

Now I am happy with my settings for video file conversion, I don't need to check the video files in an external player - so have no need for VLC now. I suspect the problem will not occur again.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom