Playing DVD's from the HDD (2 Viewers)

fathead

Portal Pro
March 17, 2005
So are we saying that you must find the cover manually, name it folder.jpg & then put it in the main movie folder - this would then be presented correctly in MP?

In which case what is the benefit of the movie database? I presumed it automatically looked up the DVD info & downloaded a cover??

thinksnow

January 29, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
It can, as well as all the other information such as actor bios and movie synapsis.

If all you want is the picture, then you would be better served manually d/l'ing it, sure, but all the rest of the information comes along with using the embedded feature in MP.

jawbroken

Portal Pro
August 13, 2005
Home Country
Afghanistan Afghanistan
fathead: you could always just install MediaPortal and give this a shot yourself. It won't cost you anything and it is really the only way to know if it suits your purposes (i.e. for automatic cover grabbing, etc).

fathead

Portal Pro
March 17, 2005
jawbroken said:
fathead: you could always just install MediaPortal and give this a shot yourself. It won't cost you anything and it is really the only way to know if it suits your purposes (i.e. for automatic cover grabbing, etc).

agreed mate. :wink:

I'm actually running Windows Media Center at the mo so didn't want to cock any of that up by installing MP. I think I'll just run MP on an old PC for now to see what I think.

jawbroken

Portal Pro
August 13, 2005
Home Country
Afghanistan Afghanistan
Ah. I hear you can install MediaPortal at the same time, but it can be hard to get them to play nice. Can I ask why you are considering changing to MediaPortal (just for my own curiousity).

fathead

Portal Pro
March 17, 2005
I just like the open source aspect of it. I only built the original HTPC as something to do & MCE was a pretty easy choice as the software was "available" shall we say. All in all though I think its pretty useless, there are so many times I find myself wanting different layouts or new features, or new ideas intoduced - with a product like MCE you just don't get it. Media portal being open source means if you make any suggestion, there is a chance it could be developed.

jawbroken

Portal Pro
August 13, 2005
Home Country
Afghanistan Afghanistan
That is pretty much why I decided on MediaPortal. I also hear/heard that MCE doesn't work well in Australia, this may have changed with some sort of patch release.

umur

January 5, 2006
fathead said:
So are we saying that you must find the cover manually, name it folder.jpg & then put it in the main movie folder - this would then be presented correctly in MP?

In which case what is the benefit of the movie database? I presumed it automatically looked up the DVD info & downloaded a cover??

Thanks for the folder.jpg trick! Unfortunately, you cannot find all DVDs in the moview database. Simply somefimes they are not classified as movies. Walt Disney Mickey, Donald and Goofy collections, Pink Panter and Popeye cartoons are an example.

I loaded my Walt Disneys to hard disk and looking for the way to show the cover album for them. So the my children can select them. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom