Playing DVD's from the HDD | Page 2

Discussion in 'MediaPortal 1 Talk' started by fathead, January 4, 2006.

1. fathead

fathead Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So are we saying that you must find the cover manually, name it folder.jpg & then put it in the main movie folder - this would then be presented correctly in MP?

In which case what is the benefit of the movie database? I presumed it automatically looked up the DVD info & downloaded a cover??

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. thinksnow

thinksnow New Member

Quality Assurance
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Home Country:
    United States of America United States of America
    It can, as well as all the other information such as actor bios and movie synapsis.

If all you want is the picture, then you would be better served manually d/l'ing it, sure, but all the rest of the information comes along with using the embedded feature in MP.

4. jawbroken

jawbroken Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    fathead: you could always just install MediaPortal and give this a shot yourself. It won't cost you anything and it is really the only way to know if it suits your purposes (i.e. for automatic cover grabbing, etc).

5. fathead

fathead Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    agreed mate. :wink:

I'm actually running Windows Media Center at the mo so didn't want to cock any of that up by installing MP. I think I'll just run MP on an old PC for now to see what I think.

6. jawbroken

jawbroken Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    Ah. I hear you can install MediaPortal at the same time, but it can be hard to get them to play nice. Can I ask why you are considering changing to MediaPortal (just for my own curiousity).

7. fathead

fathead Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just like the open source aspect of it. I only built the original HTPC as something to do & MCE was a pretty easy choice as the software was "available" shall we say. All in all though I think its pretty useless, there are so many times I find myself wanting different layouts or new features, or new ideas intoduced - with a product like MCE you just don't get it. Media portal being open source means if you make any suggestion, there is a chance it could be developed.

8. jawbroken

jawbroken Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    That is pretty much why I decided on MediaPortal. I also hear/heard that MCE doesn't work well in Australia, this may have changed with some sort of patch release.

9. umur

umur New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the folder.jpg trick! Unfortunately, you cannot find all DVDs in the moview database. Simply somefimes they are not classified as movies. Walt Disney Mickey, Donald and Goofy collections, Pink Panter and Popeye cartoons are an example.

I loaded my Walt Disneys to hard disk and looking for the way to show the cover album for them. So the my children can select them. Thanks.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!