Playing DVD's from the HDD

Discussion in 'MediaPortal 1 Talk' started by fathead, January 4, 2006.

1. fathead

fathead Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hopefully got the right forum.

How does Media Portal react to playing DVD's from the HDD. I have spent a large amount of time backing up my entire DVD collection to HDD via DVD shrink, and now have the ability to watch anything I want without having to go find the damn disc.

What I need to know though is whether media portal will be able to open these movies? DVD shrink generates the a movie folder, with 2 subfolders for audio & video. Within each folder are many different files. Will just clicking on the main movie folder be enough to start media portal playing it? Or will I be better off writting something like a batch file that open the correct file?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. fpouels

fpouels Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Yes, media portal will play these dvd's from the hard disk just by selecting the main movie folder. No need for batch files at all.

4. fathead

fathead Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Excellent! Are you using the same method then? I was worried media portal wouldn't be able to look into the sub folders, never mind find the correct file within those subfolders.

5. m0rt

m0rt Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    England England
    Never tried this before so I gave it a whirl last night. Backed up a DVD and selected the movie folder. The DVD started playing!

Only problem I had was in the language selection screen of the DVD. It gives you two options (Spanish or English). Ordinarily you would use the cursor buttons on the DVD remote till the correct language is highlighted and press Select. Unfortunately I couldn't get MP to highlight either option using my keyboard/remote cursor keys. Using the mouse didn't help either.

Anyone have any ideas?

6. fathead

fathead Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I don't backup the full DVD, instead I reauthor the DVD & only backup the actual movie file (no menus). This should mean that I just select the movie fodler & the movie will instantly start playing :D

Now I just need to transfer all 74 movies from my external HDD to my HTPC setup.

7. fpouels

fpouels Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Netherlands Netherlands
    That's exactly what I'm doing. But only for the movies for my kids, these movies are watched over and over again :)

8. fathead

fathead Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What about the DVD covers? Are you downloading these manually? Have you tried using the movie database plugin yet that automatically downloads information about the movie (at least thats what I think it does)?

9. fpouels

fpouels Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Nope, not yet. So yes, a manual download, rename to folder.jpg and move this into the movie folder.

10. Nemulate

Nemulate Portal Pro

IT Manager
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    Home Country:
    England England
    Do you not just have to make sure you name the folder the dvd files are backed into is correct for the film? Then browse to see the folder and press F3 to lookup?

11. thinksnow

thinksnow New Member

Quality Assurance
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Home Country:
    United States of America United States of America
    This is what I've got going on, too. My 1TB RAID in the basement streams movies on demand. :)

As for the images, I was going through, right-clicking every folder, and selecting the IMDB option. Later, I realized that I could just copy images to the main movie folder and name them "folder.jpg", which does the trick much more quickly.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!