[Plugin] [CLOSED] WOL-PowerManager (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jojo1411

Portal Pro
January 23, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
This thread is obsolete please follow
opened by seppi2204, who will continue the work on this plugin.
(y)

---- original Post ----
WOL-PowerManager (Version: 0.3.0.0)

Hi,
I am proud to present my first plugin "WOL-PowerManager" for MediaPortal.

Description:
WOL-PowerManager, allows you to specify diffrent computers in your network that will automatically be woken-up over LAN when you enter a predefined plugin-window in Mediaportal. If you have stored your movies, series, music or other files on a NAS or server, WOL-PowerManager will give you a fully automatic opportunity to awake your network storage if needed and turn it into standby when it will not be used. This will save a lot of power and reduce your energy costs.

Links:
Google code project page
Wiki - Get help!
German thread

Please Note: First, you have to activate the Wake On LAN (WOL) feature on your server to get this plugin running correctly. This procedure is described in our Wiki.
You also have to make sure, that your Windows Firewall is disabled or configured to allow ICMP requests. For further informations how to configure your firewall look here.

If there are issues or feature request etc. please feel free to tell it in this thread or in the issue tracker on the project page. For help on how to use the plugin or how to set up the server please have a look at our Wiki first! If there are further question you can also reach us in the IRC Chat.
Server: irc.freenode.net
Channel: #WolPowerManager

I hope you can use & enjoy it.

Special thanks go to my Co-Developer Seppi2204 as well as to Inker & SilentException for their excellent support on coding questions!

Last edited:

Guzzi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007
    AW: [Plugin] WOL-PowerManager

Hi, thanks for your work!
    The plugin throws an exeption for me when entering config.
    You referenced a dll (Microsoft.CSharp), that probably istn't available on all machines?
    Maybe you should merge required nonstandardressources into the dll?

Edit: Quick Google gives a hint to .Net-Framework 4 - so is this a requirement?

joz

Portal Pro
    March 17, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    :D for your work jojo1411.
    But I have one question, I have been wanting functionality like this but I'd rather see my NAS get poweredon when there's a play event. So when you click play it will intercept that press, send a WOL packet to the NAS, wait x seconds for the NAS to wake and then play.
    Not sure if this is at all possible (I've been working on something that does this with Eventghost) but then the OneButtonMusic usage from basichome will also work. Would be great!

jojo1411

Portal Pro
    January 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Hi, thanks for your work!
    The plugin throws an exeption for me when entering config.
    You referenced a dll (Microsoft.CSharp), that probably istn't available on all machines?
    Maybe you should merge required nonstandardressources into the dll?

Edit: Quick Google gives a hint to .Net-Framework 4 - so is this a requirement?

Should be fixed in Version 0.1.1

Truri

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 9, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Hi,

very nice tool :)
    Latest version runs without problems. :)
    Can you add suport for MyAnime Plugin please?

jojo1411

Portal Pro
    January 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Hi,

very nice tool :)
    Latest version runs without problems. :)
    Can you add suport for MyAnime Plugin please?

@Truri: We will look forward to support some more plugins in next version. But our time is limited these days. I assume it could be ready this WE.

But I have one question, I have been wanting functionality like this but I'd rather see my NAS get poweredon when there's a play event. So when you click play it will intercept that press, send a WOL packet to the NAS, wait x seconds for the NAS to wake and then play.
    Not sure if this is at all possible (I've been working on something that does this with Eventghost) but then the OneButtonMusic usage from basichome will also work. Would be great!

@joz: This would be a good option, we will have to talk to the mediaportal developer, if it's possible to implement. But there will be a problem with database updates. Moving pictures, Tv-Series have a file-monitor running in background, which will update the database automatically when there are new movies available on share. With your solution, there will no database update. Possibly we can implement this optional or only for music.

xr04148

Portal Member
    July 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks for this great plugin idea, it is exactly what I am looking for. I want to wake up my NAS with MP.
    The sad thing is, that I am having some trouble, the plugin looses the MAC-Adresse (IP is still
    correct) when I start MP or MP configuration again, so I is not working for me. Any Idea what
    is happening here?

jojo1411

Portal Pro
    January 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

@joz: This would be a good option, we will have to talk to the mediaportal developer, if it's possible to implement. But there will be a problem with database updates. Moving pictures, Tv-Series have a file-monitor running in background, which will update the database automatically when there are new movies available on share. With your solution, there will no database update. Possibly we can implement this optional or only for music.

We have talked to one of the MP developers regarding this feature request, unfortunately there is no option to implement this feature. Because to get this working we need a function which gives a return, when you are trying to play the file, but this doesn't exist. There is only a function which catches the event when the movie is played, which is not the case in your request (Server offline -> Media can't be played -> no event to catch! -> no WOL!)

I'm sorry, it would have been a good option for this plugin.

Guzzi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007

We have talked to one of the MP developers regarding this feature request, unfortunately there is no option to implement this feature. Because to get this working we need a function which gives a return, when you are trying to play the file, but this doesn't exist. There is only a function which catches the event when the movie is played, which is not the case in your request (Server offline -> Media can't be played -> no event to catch! -> no WOL!)

I'm sorry, it would have been a good option for this plugin.

THis could only be implemented as patch vor Mediaportal itself - it has to be incorporated in the classes, where mediaplaying is launched.
    Because the UNC path is known there, you even would know, what NAS to be started, if you have more than just one running (\\NAS-Name\Share\...)
    I think integration in the player would not be too difficult - more difficult is the dependency - while the path is available in DB view, you of course don't have a path in share view, if the share is offline ;-)

jojo1411

Portal Pro
    January 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Now it's done.
    I've just finished the work on the new 0.2.0.0 release (to download, please click the "download" link on the first post). To add all your wishes, except xr04148's (at least until now it would be too hard for me), I had to rework the whole configuration GUI. But I hope, we got now a nice working WOL plugin. If there are ideas for improvement, please post it in this thread, then we could talk about it and maybe implement in the next release.

I also updated the Wiki. So if there are questions on how to use the plugin or how to set up the server please have a look at it first!

I hope there are no bugs, if there are please don't hesitate to post in this thread or even better add it to the issue tracker on google.code

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom