Plugin for Netflix with Play now Support (3 Viewers)

mlburgoon

Portal Pro
November 16, 2006
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
me too. I would love to help out on this. I can test!!!

futilemind

Portal Member
December 7, 2008
Home Country
Sorry,

About the delayed response but classes started on Monday and its been a really crazy week.

I just want to let you all know were the project stands at this point.

Over the past few weeks i have worked on the plugin, and got quite a bit done in relations to the queues and getting support for series listing in preparation for future use in play now.

Now the bad news.

I have sent a few emails to the Netflix folks and posted a message or two in the forums for the netflix dev site about the unusual use of api and play now support we are trying to achieve.

So far i have not receive much of a reply but one email recently letting me know that the use of the plugin in a desktop app is not officially supported as the api was meant to be used in websites for the time being.

I asked a friend who is a lawyer to review the Terms of service and she informs me that technically the TOS does not forbid our use, it would be a really grey area.

She also informed me that Netflix could come after me for this project as it does not exactly confirm to the agreement.

I am drafting an email to send to Netflix this weekend, but until i receive some kind of blessing from Netflix I will have to suspend development.

I know many of you were really excited about this as I was, but its just to risky to release source code or a final plugin until this is cleared up.

I really hope that we can continue with the project.

Thanks
-Fmind

ZetaVu

Portal Pro
December 9, 2005
You can point out that there are netflix plugins in other software like Sagetv which apparently they did authorize.

Sorcerer1089

Portal Member
September 2, 2005
Sorry,

I have sent a few emails to the Netflix folks and posted a message or two in the forums for the netflix dev site about the unusual use of api and play now support we are trying to achieve.

So far i have not receive much of a reply but one email recently letting me know that the use of the plugin in a desktop app is not officially supported as the api was meant to be used in websites for the time being.

-Fmind

This doesn't sound like cease and desist to me. It's your call futilemind, but waiting for explicit permission for something like this may be a long wait.

futilemind

Portal Member
December 7, 2008
Home Country
ZetaVu,

Those implementations dont have to abide by the same rules as they screen crap and use the public RSS feeds and not the API.
The main issue is that as we use the API for more consistent information retrival we must follow the terms of service. :(

woodchuck,
This may be an option but well end up with something similar to the last plugin but with little control of the movie playback with the remote. We would have a more stable way to get our queues and search for movies,

Sorcerer1089,

I agree and i am still looking at other ways to handle the play now support with use of their launch buttons to open a new browser like they want.
The Downside is little to zero control of the movie once its playing via the remote.

I am not ready to abandon this yet. And am still working on it as time is available to get the base features working minus play now while i work on a fix. I will also try emailing the other netflix project for MCE and asking him if he has had any problems from netflix.

They really push the limits as they allow you to download movies for later playback which is really not allowed by the play now terms of service as far as i know.

Thanks
-Fmind

mlburgoon

Portal Pro
November 16, 2006
Home Country
Any word? I would love to control my netfilx stuff through MP. I wonder if you just did the play now support and not the download\play later option????

I hope they let you use the API. that woudl be SOOOOO nice.

thanks

jdoo

Portal Member
January 19, 2009
Home Country
I don't mean to badger you, but this is one of 2 missing pieces to complete my htpc holy grail. I would love to be able to ditch the xbox360 for netflix instant streaming :)

vlad.pambuco

January 29, 2009
Problem with the watch now feature

Hello, (I posted this in the other thread too)

I just installed MediaPortal and the Netflix plugin with Watch Now support.
I configured the Netflix plugin with the 2 required fields, user id and cokie id and when I start MediaPortal and go to the Netflix plugin I can see my queue and browse it. I can probably even add new movies to the queue.

When I get on the Watch Now queue, although I have a bunch of movies in my watch now queue, I don't see them displayed in the media portal. When I click on the Watch Now queue a windows in media portal pops up with 3 things that I can select (1. Dvd, 2. ...). After I select DvD there is nothing listed on the right

Also (if this is a clue) when I try to play a trailer for the non watch now movies it doesn't work. It would just sit there and do nothing.

I reallllly want to use the view now feature in the Netflix manager, for me all the other feaures of th eplugin are secondary.

Can somebody help?
Thank you
Vlad

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom