Plugin for Netflix with Play now Support (4 Viewers)

dcwp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2006
    Astana
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hi Vlad,

If you take a look at earlier posts in this thread you'll get an idea of what's going on. Basically, this plugin is not fully functional right now because of some changes being made on the Netflix end. If you are a NON-Silverlight member you may be able to jostle the plugin and make it work for a day at a time.

Meanwhile futilemind is working on an update that makes use of the API and will hopefully solve all of our woes. But there are legal and technical issues that he has to resolve before that can happen.

And finally, if you are using the Silverlight player for Netflix outside of MediaPortal (If you're a fairly new customer to Netflix then you almost definitely are) then you won't be able to use the old version of the plugin at all. As of now there is no support for Silverlight.

Sorry to bring bad news, but I hope this helps.

jacc1234

Portal Pro
    April 11, 2008
    So still no updates :(. This was a promising plugin that seems to have died. Has anyone ever heard of Nexflix going after anyone for making a plugin implementing their streaming service?

DigitalFusio

Portal Pro
    January 16, 2009
    Minnesota
    Home Country
    I highly, highly, highly doubt that Netflix would go after anyone for creating an app that would help their PAYING customers use their service!

jacc1234

Portal Pro
    April 11, 2008
    Those are my thoughts exactly! I don't really think its a valid reason to suspend development but sadly im not the OP nor could I develop anything.

poppabk

Portal Pro
    August 8, 2007
    Home Country
    It could be a valid reason for movie companies to pull content from netflix though, which is why netflix might be touchy. I mean there is a reason we have excessive DRM on the online content in the first place. Hopefully this all gets sorted out because I would love netflix integration into MP.

killdashnine

Portal Member
    February 8, 2009
    Home Country
    I'm sorry, but I have followed this thread and the other two before they were closed. Honestly, the excuse used to halt development on this is not that logical. Sure Netflix wants control over their intellectual property, but enabling their users to view the same content, just in a different manner isn't illegal. At best, it's a gray area that would simply result in a letter to halt and desist, but until that, why not continue and see what happens? There are other apps that mimic Netflix, see hackingnetflix.com - all I am saying is that development should continue until netflix says something... you will never get an 'approval' from netflix, plain and simple.

scythe000

Portal Pro
    July 6, 2008
    Well, here's the problem. Just because it's not logical isn't going to make the developer start back up again. Something spooked him, or he needed a good excuse to stop. We're all grateful for the progress he made. If he would even just release his source so others could continue where he left off, that would be a huge contribution.

brainbone

Portal Member
    August 14, 2006
    i am still looking at other ways to handle the play now support with use of their launch buttons to open a new browser like they want.
    The Downside is little to zero control of the movie once its playing via the remote.

It's a bit of a hack, but you're welcome to use Netflix Control to control the Netflix Silverlight Player.

One problem we're having is keeping any window in focus (like Mediaportal, for example) while silverlight is full screen in order to allow the host application (like mediaportal) to capture remote events and send them on to Netflix Control. Any attempt to activate another window causes Silverlight to drop out of fullscreen. As a work-around, you can using something like EventGhost to capture and direct remote events to the appropriate application, but it does complicate remote configuration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom