plugin for system shutdown after timed recording? (1 Viewer)

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    HPCSourcer, for clarification I was referring to the checkbox in the PS settings Advanced section, labeled "PS forces the system to go into standby when idle", are you?
    If yes the I fully agree with your statement:
    On systems, which run the MP server part, standby is controled by the TV Server service (if PowerScheduler is activated).
    But that is exactly my point, with a single seat system, if you close MP the TV service continues to run but I believe it is no longer able to determin that Windows may be doing something, i.e. not idle and consequently would force the system into standby regardless of any non MP activity.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I was referring to the checkbox in the PS settings Advanced section, labeled "PS forces the system to go into standby when idle", are you?
    Yes an No. Under normal circumstances, i.e. Windows being able to send the system top sleep, this option should not be activated.

if you close MP the TV service continues to run but I believe it is no longer able to determin that Windows may be doing something, i.e. not idle and consequently would force the system into standby regardless of any non MP activity.
    That's why you have to define additional elements such as network activity or maybe an open browser session. All depending on individual needs.

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    with a single seat system, if you close MP the TV service continues to run but I believe it is no longer able to determin that Windows may be doing something, i.e. not idle and consequently would force the system into standby regardless of any non MP activity.
    There's a setting in PowerScheduler called something along the lines of "only allow sleep while MP client is running". My system is a single-seat dedicated media machine, but is still annoying if PowerScheduler puts it to sleep while MP client is closed for PC maintenance or watching something on iPlayer etc, so that setting works really well for me.

EDIT: It's on the "processes" tab of PowerScheduler setup

Last edited:

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    There's a setting in PowerScheduler called something along the lines of "only allow sleep while MP client is running".
    Sure - that's the other extreme. With this option ticked, the system will never enter standby but will remain always on.

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    There's a setting in PowerScheduler called something along the lines of "only allow sleep while MP client is running".
    Sure - that's the other extreme. With this option ticked, the system will never enter standby but will remain always on.
    But if MP client is open, it goes to sleep as normal. I thought that was the point of the original question... with it set this way, leave MP client open when the machine is unattended and it will go to sleep after the recording finishes (and wake up for any more scheduled recordings). If the machine is being used for something else, close MP client and PowerScheduler will not put the machine to sleep (but TVServer is still running). The only catch is he'll have to remember to run MP client again before leaving the machine (not a problem for me because it's a dedicated machine anyway so always has MP running).

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    There's a setting in PowerScheduler called something along the lines of "only allow sleep while MP client is running". My system is a single-seat dedicated media machine, but is still annoying if PowerScheduler puts it to sleep while MP client is closed for PC maintenance or watching something on iPlayer etc, so that setting works really well for me.

EDIT: It's on the "processes" tab of PowerScheduler setup

Thanks for posting that.(y) I was not aware of that setting, but it looks like it will acheive the requested behaviour in conjunction with the other setting with out the risk, as you confirmed, of interupting PC maintenance etc.
    Usefull info. thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom