Plugin Ideas (2 Viewers)

jmhecker

Portal Member
January 8, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I would really like a plugin that is like a blank moving pictures or tv series plugin that I can populate with what ever I wanted to, I have on my MP machine 5 or 6 seasons of Football (Aussie rules football) with associated programs like player interviews, highlight videos, and weekly football related tv shows that just aren't supported by any other plugins, at the moment they are just handled by "My Videos" in MP with folder.jpg's and I'd like something fancier for them.
if such a plugin was possible I would also like to run multiple instances of it for other stuff as well, there are many genres out there that aren't supported by other plugins, many niche sports and things like home videos/movies.
:)
I hope it gives you some ideas.

MM

I have started this plugin today...Do not expect magical things to happen over night, as I am just starting writing plugins for MP, and its been a while since I have touched .Net...but, its started :)

jmhecker

Portal Member
January 8, 2009
Home Country
yeah, with fan art and covers, and the ability to export the database so you don't have to redo it every time you reinstall MP.
being able to run multiple version would be very handy, so you could have "My Home Movies" and "My Sport".

MadMagpie;

As I mentioned in my previous post, I am working on this plugin, and it is proving to me great fun as well as a great learning experience.

I am still working on the backend of it (configuration modules), and it is coming along nicely. I just thought I would give you a status update :)

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Thats a great idea for a plugin, you should start a new post in the plugins forum outlining the basic idea and the features you plan to include...

Btw. have you thought about a name? ;)

:D

jmhecker

Portal Member
    January 8, 2009
    Home Country
    I have been toiling with the name for a few days now, and I think I have settled upon MP-MyCollection. You create your own categories for your media, and populate it as desired. Plain and simple, so I think it works. I am going to stick with that one (unless someone gives me an idea that is really clever, heh), because I have all of my namespaces set to MyCollection and it is a pain to change the namespaces project wide. I am open to ideas though.

MadMagpie

Portal Pro
    April 17, 2007
    Home Country
    kewl jm,
    I haven't posted much as I have spent the last week relocating 2000km+ south by car, we have a 12 hour boat ride tonight and won't be settled in for at least a week or so :)
    Glad you are having fun with it, I wish I could code, but hopefully by the time you're ready to test I'll be ready to help. :)

jmhecker

Portal Member
    January 8, 2009
    Home Country
    It is going to be a while before I am ready to test. Getting the backend done is simple (with the exclusion of this damned programming logic problem I am having with a TreeView). But, working on the MP side of things (skin controls, learnign the MP GUI Controls, etc) is going to be a complete pain in the bum.

When I am ready for testers, I will post it up in the Plugins forum and also send you an IM to let you know.

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Some questions:

Would this be usable for music playback?
    If so, could it be set to import the MyMusic database info (paths, downloaded info)?
    Will we be able to use multiple instances of this plugin?

Thanks!
    Emph

jmhecker

Portal Member
    January 8, 2009
    Home Country
    Some questions:

Would this be usable for music playback?
    If so, could it be set to import the MyMusic database info (paths, downloaded info)?
    Will we be able to use multiple instances of this plugin?

Thanks!
    Emph

This will support music playback, as well as video playback and picture viewing, although I do not plan on having it access the current MyMusic database. (not as of yet anyway..perhaps in a future release). The reason I am not wanting to go that route as of right now is because it defeats the purpose of the plugin. It is meant to be the 'holding place' for everything that MP does not currently support. (IE: family videos, news clips, sporting events, etc). Rather than specialize the plugin to support a specific thing, I am generalizing it to support, well, anything you want to throw at it (picture, video, and audio wise).

As for having multiple instances of this plugin, I am thinking no. But, I am circumventing that problem with the ability to add as many categories (and subcategories) as you want. IE:
    Code:
    Family
      \_ Kids
         \_ Daughter
            \_ Chorus Concert
         \_ Son
            \_ Pee Wee Football Games
               \_ Tryouts
               \_ Games
     \_ Wife
     \_ Extended Family
        \_ Uncle Buck
        \_ Grandpa
        \_ Grandma
    Sports
    \_ Baseball
       \_ Games
       \_ Player Interviews
    \_ Football
    News
    \_ Huricane Katrina
        \_ Video Clips
        \_ Pictures

Each category can contain any combination of Video, Picture, and Audio Files.

So, rather than having to load this plugin multiple times (which I dont even know could be done without recompiling the plugin with an different ID each time), you can have the one instance of it handle everything.

Now, this could pose problems if perhaps you don't want your children seeing some of the pictures or movies that you have stored, so I will be implementing a 4 digit pin code system as well. You will be able to lock each category and/or subcategory with a pin code if you desire. Each category/subcategory can have its own pin code that is unique.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom