Plugin: MySQL database provider - better performance and no size limit for your MP2-MediaLibrary (1 Viewer)

MJGraf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 13, 2006
    Hi jehe,
    that's most likely the famous "never use MS products to unzip files you downloaded from the internet"-bug :D
    Try to unzip the files using 7zip or alternatively, right-click all the files in the MySQLDatabase plugin directory, click on properties and choose "unblock" (right lower end of the dialog). .Net refuses to load DLLs, which were downloaded from the internet. Unfortunately, the inbuilt MS zip explorer extension propagates this "dirty"-flag to all the files contained in a zip file, which itself was downloaded. We already thought about uploading all our plugins as .7z files, where this problem cannot occur...
    Thanks for testing!
    Michael

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Arlington Heights, Illinois
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    While I have not found if there is a fix for the "Path" issue, there is a work around in 5.6
    I will be downloading and installing MySQL 5.7.2M12 today

[1 Aug 12:09] Jefferson Dollar
    It looks like this is a issue depending on the collation for the table. In MySQL 5.6.13, if the collation was set to utf8 - default collation, creating an index over a certain size will fail. However, if the collation for the table is set to latin1 - default collation, the index is silently truncated.

Edit: Crashed - MP2 Server will not start
    Removed MP2, Installed Mysql5.7.2.M12
    I did a fresh install of MP2
    Stopped the MP2-Server process
    Installed the last post of MySQLDatabase to MP2-Server
    MP2-Server process would not start.
    Crash folder also has install and temp files from MySQL
    Let me know if there is anything else you need.... If you would like me to try something, please give me detail because I do not know what I am doing with MySQL outside of the config file.

Attachments

• Crash_15.10.2013_0755.zip
      791.9 KB
    Last edited:

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Home Country
    But there seems to be different behaviour in differnt MySQL versions

If you reduce the InnoDBpage size to 8KB or 4KB by specifying the innodb_page_size option when creating the MySQL instance, the maximum length of the index key is lowered proportionally, based on the limit of 3072 bytes for a 16KB page size. That is, the maximum index key length is 1536 bytes when the page size is 8KB, and 768 bytes when the page size is 4KB.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/innodb-restrictions.html[DOUBLEPOST=1382015913][/DOUBLEPOST]Morpheus, is there a configuration file I can change so as to test a mysql 5.6 or higher install?
    I was thinking about installing 5.5, import a few things, Export the DB, upgrade it to 5.6 and see what happens

Last edited:

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Home Country
    I installed MySQL 5.5, Installed a fresh Mp2 with MySQL plugin, imported 1 album.
    Went into MySQL and exported the MP2 database
    Maybe this will help with getting MP2 working with MySQL 5.6 or higher

Attachments

• MP2Export.zip
      88.5 KB

ArnoldGoat

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 27, 2007
    Lyttelton
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I am contemplating moving from MP1 to MP2. I have always liked the notion of a 'proper' database and use MySQL for this and many other things. But the trail has been cold for 7 years now, so is this plugin still maintained and/or working?

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    This Database provider is obsolete as it has no advantages but only disadvantages compared to the now (since a long time) default SQLite (that is included in the main installer package for sure). SQLite needs no external database server, it also is unlimited in DB size and it's ten times faster than MySQL (real live speed tested by ourselves). The only "downside" of SQLite is that there can be only one writing access at a time. Opposite to MP1 where everyone can fiddle around with the database of TV server the MP2 server is the only task that read and write to the MP2 database. Sp this is no disadvantage in this use case. I was part of the testing team as we finally (but very easily in the end) decided to go with SQLite. It definitely is way better than any other option we could test ...

MySQL (that meanwhile is commercial, so it should be MariaDB instead nowadays) is the db engine to choose if you need a "multi- user from multi- location" access to the database. This is valid for MP1 and also for Kodi, but this is not the case for MP2. Under "one- user from one location only" access as it is the case for MP2, SQLite is the much better, the best choice without any doubt.

ArnoldGoat

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 27, 2007
    Lyttelton
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks for the prompt reply and recommendation. I have used MySQL since the last century, and stayed with the Community Edition when Oracle took it over. I use it for several projects, and with a bit of glue software, I use it to synchronise TV series and movies between the MP1 server and clients. It seems that the synchronising is redundant now in MP2. Please confirm that the server software for MP1 and MP2 can coexist on the same hardware, provided only one is running at a time. Then it should be relatively easy to switch back if it all turns pear-shaped. The things I worry about are Netflix and TVNZ catchup which don't play nicely with other software. I use IRSS to switch between them and MP1.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Please confirm that the server software for MP1 and MP2 can coexist on the same hardware, provided only one is running at a time. Then it should be relatively easy to switch back if it all turns pear-shaped.
    Yes, I can confirm the two versions can coexists. If you are using MP1 TVServer, you must make sure to stop the service first before you install and setup MP2. Both version are using different program and data folders and even different database engines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom