Plugin request: Archived recordings (2 Viewers)

johnlc

Portal Pro
April 19, 2008
Horsens
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Couldn't I just have kept my big mouth shut :D

I am fairly close with something working, I was starting the copy part (Worker thread) when I realized the obvious that I didn't see initially - what I have done will only work in singleseat installations, bugger.

If it should work with client/server I need to make changes in TVserver, TVcontroller, Powerscheduler (maybe?), etc, further maybe it will be needed with somekind of indication on that copying is working (like REC on homescreen).
I don't know, I am still discovering new things.

So my question to Tourettes, Rtv (and others) is: Is there any chance at all that such a change to so many files, has any chance at all to be accepted ?
I simply ask because it is a lot of time to invest, if it's not going to be used anyway - the stuff I have now solves my singleseat issues, that is okay for me, but not for MP - anyway I hope you can see it from my point of view.

Latest settings attached.

Attachments

• settings.jpg
    settings.jpg
    90.8 KB

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Couldn't I just have kept my big mouth shut :D

I am fairly close with something working, I was starting the copy part (Worker thread) when I realized the obvious that I didn't see initially - what I have done will only work in singleseat installations, bugger.

If it should work with client/server I need to make changes in TVserver, TVcontroller, Powerscheduler (maybe?), etc, further maybe it will be needed with somekind of indication on that copying is working (like REC on homescreen).
    I don't know, I am still discovering new things.

So my question to Tourettes, Rtv (and others) is: Is there any chance at all that such a change to so many files, has any chance at all to be accepted ?
    I simply ask because it is a lot of time to invest, if it's not going to be used anyway - the stuff I have now solves my singleseat issues, that is okay for me, but not for MP - anyway I hope you can see it from my point of view.

Latest settings attached.

Well the definition would have been rather straightforward:
    - create a tvserver plugin (which implements the powerscheduler interfaces to block standby while copying).
    - let the server do all DB and file related work
    - add only "display" related changes to RecordedTV (and trigger the archival from here, of course)

Since the "demand" is there I wouldn't worry about any deadline - we're happy that somehow has some time at his hands to work on this!
    :D

johnlc

Portal Pro
    April 19, 2008
    Horsens
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Well the definition would have been rather straightforward:
    - create a tvserver plugin (which implements the powerscheduler interfaces to block standby while copying).
    - let the server do all DB and file related work
    - add only "display" related changes to RecordedTV (and trigger the archival from here, of course)

Since the "demand" is there I wouldn't worry about any deadline - we're happy that somehow has some time at his hands to work on this!
    :D

Yes, straightforward for you :)

Okay, I will start the work and lets hope something usefull comes out of it, but expect a couple of month of work, because I also have 3 weeks of vacation in Berny-Riviere and by Lago Trasimeno coming up.

henk99

Portal Pro
    October 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi hard workers, again thanks for all your work on my request.

Maybe it's too simplistic, but can't my request work when only the index is changed? Let me try to explain...

My idea is not to physically move the files to another location on the disk. I personally don't mind that my recordings folder has a lot of items. My problem is only the list when I press 'recorded tv'. In my (simple) view this is only a list generated by MP, like the index of a book that points to page numbers.

Isn't it possible that when you select a recording for archiving, only the index get changed, so it is not seen in the 'recorded tv' list anymore, but shows up in the 'archive' list? Physically, it will stay in the same location.

Maybe this an easier approach. You wouldn't have to worry about all the other stuff while a file is copying.

I am blessed without any programming knowledge, so don't mind me when it is a stupid idea :D

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi hard workers, again thanks for all your work on my request.

Maybe it's too simplistic, but can't my request work when only the index is changed? Let me try to explain...

My idea is not to physically move the files to another location on the disk. I personally don't mind that my recordings folder has a lot of items. My problem is only the list when I press 'recorded tv'. In my (simple) view this is only a list generated by MP, like the index of a book that points to page numbers.

Isn't it possible that when you select a recording for archiving, only the index get changed, so it is not seen in the 'recorded tv' list anymore, but shows up in the 'archive' list? Physically, it will stay in the same location.

Maybe this an easier approach. You wouldn't have to worry about all the other stuff while a file is copying.

I am blessed without any programming knowledge, so don't mind me when it is a stupid idea :D

Actually this was the solution to your needs:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/472034-post3.html

henk99

Portal Pro
    October 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

Hi rtv, I agree that it is one solution, although not a very elegant one. Also, a solution that my GF will not use. I don't see her opening an explorer window and moving the files to another location. To be honest, I don't even want her to do that ;)

I thought that the persons in this thread were still kind of working on an integrated solution in MP, but I might be mistaken.

johnlc

Portal Pro
    April 19, 2008
    Horsens
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark

Hi rtv, I agree that it is one solution, although not a very elegant one. Also, a solution that my GF will not use. I don't see her opening an explorer window and moving the files to another location. To be honest, I don't even want her to do that ;)

I thought that the persons in this thread were still kind of working on an integrated solution in MP, but I might be mistaken.

henk99, yes I am working on something - but it is only 6 days ago I started investigating the inner workings of TVserver/Service parts of MP - so please just a little more time :D
    It must be a solution that handles both what you mention above and also other situations, else you will be back soon and say, Now I run out of diskspace, can't we have a Archive on another disk :)
    Btw, henk99, what about "Database import" (TV Server configuration) if you leave all the recordings in that place?

I have made the server plugin, but drowned in figuring out how to communicate with the plugin from the TVclient - OTHER than by sending an event. This one I haven't figured out yet - maybe not nessesary for this - but I get ideas too.

Further I have also wondered about the "Recording.ListAll" function which is used in many places, this should not pick up archived recordings - this seems to come from MyGeneration, hhmm, from template, not good if this function needs changes - but it simply cannot list all archived recodings,I think.

So for a Newcomer as I, there simply has to be some thinking/learning before coding . Especially about everything that operates on Recording table - because this shouldn't break any code there. Maybe a separate table for Archive would be the simpliest solution - then it will not mess with the current code.

I still think it is doable - when I have figured all my issues out :)

henk99

Portal Pro
    October 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

henk99, yes I am working on something - but it is only 6 days ago I started investigating the inner workings of TVserver/Service parts of MP - so please just a little more time :D
    It must be a solution that handles both what you mention above and also other situations, else you will be back soon and say, Now I run out of diskspace, can't we have a Archive on another disk :)
    Btw, henk99, what about "Database import" (TV Server configuration) if you leave all the recordings in that place?

I have made the server plugin, but drowned in figuring out how to communicate with the plugin from the TVclient - OTHER than by sending an event. This one I haven't figured out yet - maybe not nessesary for this - but I get ideas too.

Further I have also wondered about the "Recording.ListAll" function which is used in many places, this should not pick up archived recordings - this seems to come from MyGeneration, hhmm, from template, not good if this function needs changes - but it simply cannot list all archived recodings,I think.

So for a Newcomer as I, there simply has to be some thinking/learning before coding . Especially about everything that operates on Recording table - because this shouldn't break any code there. Maybe a separate table for Archive would be the simpliest solution - then it will not mess with the current code.

I still think it is doable - when I have figured all my issues out :)

Well, I think it's just great that your are willing to try...hats off! :D

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Of course the gentle relation class could get an addition like "select * from recordings where archieved = 0" but don't worry about the table scan - filtering the generic list on the client side just by some archive bit or the path would still be fast enough even with thousands of recordings.

RobinE

Portal Member
    December 30, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Any news on this one? :D

I would like this option very much!
    With this option it is possible to make recordings on a ssd (silent htpc)and archive recordings to a hard disk or network to save space on the expensive sdd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom