[Plugin] X10 Home Automation (1 Viewer)

WileECoyote

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    This is the second build of the Server Configuration tool for the X10 Home Automation service. This package contains two parts, the first being the windows service and the second being the MP Process Plugin. Everything can be configured through the Process Plugin now...

NOTE: If you installed the previus version, PLEASE go into MP Config and Stop & Uninstall service before installing this 0.2 version.

Installation Pre-req

1. Install ActiveHome Pro software (if not already done.)
    2. Configure your devices in ActiveHome Pro (if not already done.) NOTE: Be sure the X10 Device Network Service service is installed and running.

Server Installation

1. Download the X10ServerSetup 0.2.zip file.
    2. Install the setup file (Be sure to remove everything to do with prior X10 tests we have done.)
    3. Go into MP Configuration and configure the X10 Process (See Image 1 below)
    4. Click on the Install Service Button (this will install the service)
    5. Enter a port number (if you desire a different port number)
    6. Enter Room Information
    7. Enter Device Information
    Note: To test a device, hightlight the row and click the Test On or Test Off buttons.

Client Installation
    1. Download X10 Client.zip file.
    2. Unzip and copy the contents of the Plugins folder to your MediaPortal\Plugins\Windows folder.
    3. Copy the contents of the Skin\Blue3Wide folder to your skin folder.
    4. Configure the plugin (Only the Server Tab is required. The Client tab is for actions...)

Please post any issues/questions...

Thanks,
    Wile E.

famewolf

Portal Pro
    June 7, 2009
    Home Country
    I have one of the x10 firecracker systems you used to be able to get cheap...hooks to a serial port..can be used by the pc to turn items on, off, dim etc....there are some apps to control them on windows...but what I would like to see is when I start a movie having the floor lamps on either side of tv auto turn off...and when movie ends (and maybe is paused)...the lights turn back on....not sure how feasible that is currently.

jmvaughn

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 7, 2009
    Houston, Texas
    Home Country
    Funny, I was just discussing how neat something like this would be with my wife over lunch (I know, I'm a rather dull lunch companion).

So count me as very interested.

WileECoyote

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Home Country
    I have one of the x10 firecracker systems you used to be able to get cheap...hooks to a serial port..can be used by the pc to turn items on, off, dim etc....there are some apps to control them on windows...but what I would like to see is when I start a movie having the floor lamps on either side of tv auto turn off...and when movie ends (and maybe is paused)...the lights turn back on....not sure how feasible that is currently.

Hmmm, does the serial controllers interface the same as the USB controllers?

Yes, turning lights off and off with events would be VERY easy. Sounds like you have a pretty sweet setup too!

Funny, I was just discussing how neat something like this would be with my wife over lunch (I know, I'm a rather dull lunch companion).

So count me as very interested.

Yes, in playing around with the software, I think there is a lot of potential with X10 devices. I am starting with a few light switches and recepticles, but I am looking very seriously at adding a Thermostat and other devices real soon.

WileECoyote

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Home Country
    I wonder if X10 controlled motorized blinds are available?

That would be interesting.

There are numerious switches out there. I am looking for a similar switch to trigger my screen, so when I open MP it will automatically drop my screen...

jmvaughn

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 7, 2009
    Houston, Texas
    Home Country
    This does look interesting. I wonder if the plugin still works? Looks like he stopped working on it about a year ago.

I would test, but I don't actually have any X10 devices yet, I have just been considering getting some.

Tophicles

Portal Member
    January 15, 2008
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    My .02

I don't have any X10 devices, but I would buy some if it meant I could control lighting in my theatre room via MediaPortal. Dimming/switchoff of lights would be a definite plus! I have some cool cove lighting around the top of my room that I'd love to dim when the movie starts and bring up when it's paused/stops.

I'll buy the plugs/switches and controller at the drop of a hat if this gets underway!

Cheers!

WileECoyote

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Home Country
    Just for information, and I dont want to influence anyone's decision on what X10 devices to purchase, but the plugin I have been working on is for the CM15A controller (I purchased from here -> ActiveHome Pro USB Transceiver and Software SW31A and CM15A - X10). The reason I went with the CM15A was simply because it supports all house codes (up to 256 devices.) Im not sure if the plugin will work with other serial controllers as I do not have one to test with...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom