Do you think that this is Worth it?

• No, We already have mythtv and Freevo for linux

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

edude03

November 17, 2005
Brampton, Ontario
Hi everyone,
I guess I'm new here since this is my first post. :)
But anyway...
I've read that this software can be ported to linux because of the fact that it's based on alot of stuf f in windows (such as .net)
However, The reason I would want to port this software is it's interface (which is stunning).

So.. Wouldn't it be possible to port the interface to linux by using it as a frontend then using an "engines" system as the backend like in amaroK? (amarok.kde.org)?

I'm sure it wouldn't be extreamly hard plus once we had it stable it wouldn't need to be updated too often.

So, what do you say? I say lets go for it

Update:
Common, this looks so much better than freevo and myth!!
Freevo: http://freevo.sourceforge.net/ss/blurr/freevo_ss1_160.jpg
Myth: http://mythtv.sf.net/mc/liquidtvmenu.png
Mediaportal: http://mediaportal.sourceforge.net/ssbluetwo.html
Michael

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I say if he wants to go for it... let him. After all it is open source!

Or why not get the developers who support freevo or myth to look at getting a better interface?

Mike

gxtracker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2005
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Have you even tried MythTV yet? It's already a great Linux PVR App, and with the right configuration it's a close second to Mediaportal in my books.

You should learn that phrases like:

I'm sure it wouldn't be extreamly hard...

Are a recipe for disaster; usually because people who start the development are expecting a straightforward port which is NEVER the case.

Have you even looked at the source code yet? Myself an a couple of people were simply looking at the ability of porting MP to Straight C++ source - mainly because we hate .NET. :lol:

Mediaportal is so engrained in .NET that it would be crazy to re-write functions specifically to a C port - not to mention that it's a directX app. Have you done vertex and pixel shader programming before? now, how about in linux?

Im sorry to say, it's not feasable at all. I agree with Mike, use those resources to help MythTV become a better HTPC app if you really need something for *nix

edude03

November 17, 2005
    Brampton, Ontario
    Thanks For the Responses,
    However, I have done a pixel shader before (in windows) and I will admit, that I'm not sure if I could do it again without work.

Although, Like i siad I only want to port the interface.
    I klnow that even that would take a lot of work however I am prepared to do it.

I will admit I didn't realize that it is a DirectX app, although, I'm sure if a solid base was written, the would be a way to port the GUI alone, not nessisarily using the source code provided here.

Just the icon and other graphics shouldn't be to hard to put into another program.

Anyway, I'm still looking into this, and I agree that this software should be written using non proprietory software like DX and .net, instead that sould be c++ and OpenGL or Lisp and SDL etc,
    Michael

thechad

Portal Pro
    February 5, 2005
    Geelong, Australia
    Home Country
    If it is just the interface you want to port you may have more success porting the XBMC interface as this is already in C++ but relies on the XDK. This is where MediaPortals origins were and it was ported to .Net with a fair bit of effort i believe.

I agree with the above that you should help on a project like MythTV and improve their interface before trying to port MP.

my 2cents

Agree

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 7, 2005
    gxtracker said:
    Have you even tried MythTV yet? It's already a great Linux PVR App, and with the right configuration it's a close second to Mediaportal in my books.

You should learn that phrases like:

I'm sure it wouldn't be extreamly hard...

Are a recipe for disaster; usually because people who start the development are expecting a straightforward port which is NEVER the case.

Have you even looked at the source code yet? Myself an a couple of people were simply looking at the ability of porting MP to Straight C++ source - mainly because we hate .NET. :lol:

Mediaportal is so engrained in .NET that it would be crazy to re-write functions specifically to a C port - not to mention that it's a directX app. Have you done vertex and pixel shader programming before? now, how about in linux?

Im sorry to say, it's not feasable at all. I agree with Mike, use those resources to help MythTV become a better HTPC app if you really need something for *nix

Hi.

Best comment i ever saw here. Nothing more to say, u wont see MediaPortal on Linux. Take it as a fact.

Greets

edude03

November 17, 2005
    Brampton, Ontario
    f it is just the interface you want to port you may have more success porting the XBMC interface as this is already in C++

I was thinking that when In saw it. the only thing I wounder is what libraries its linked against since it is for Windows 2000 (Xbox runs the windows 2000 kernel + some custom libs)
    Thx for the tip.

Also

This is where MediaPortals origins were and it was ported to .Net with a fair bit of effort i believe.

What the hell? Why port it to .net if it was originally C++? That would have left a lot of portibility options
    Michael

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    MythTV is skinnable so if it is just the interface then why can't you just design an MP style Skin for MP?

If it is mostly the icons and stuff, then they are freely available (provided you give credit where it's due, ususally).

Porting MP to *nix simply for the look and feel would be almost the same as porting windows to *nix simply because you like the idea of a start button.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom