possible for multiple moving pictures (1 Viewer)

N8jaeger

Portal Member
April 8, 2009
Saarbruecken
Home Country
Germany Germany
ok, the good old "when it's done" ;-) So i will check 2 times a day the forum if there's something out :p

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I have a different reason, in that I'd like to keep "Kids" movies seperate from non-kids movies
    same here :)

i would be happy if there would be "configure-able-groups" to choose from when you enter Moving Pictures.

could be genre (SciFi, Horror, Action, etc) or in our case "Kids" and "parents" :)

psiebe

Portal Pro
    March 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi Whiskaz, could you send me your dll via pm? I know it's not supported, but I do like this functionality.

thanks,
    patrick

vl002001

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 27, 2008
    just putting my 2 cents in, this feature is important to me too for the reasons other people said.
    but for me i think it would be better to have multiple instances rather than just a filtering system, so that in the basichome you could have 2 separate links, one to "kids movies" and one to "movies" or one to "hd movies" or whatever

the filtering wouldn't be bad solution, though, so that once you get into the system it has 2 options, one branching off to "kids movies" and one to "movies".. i think it would be less aesthetically and functionally pleasing though since you'll have to click twice to get into where you want every time instead of just clicking on one basichome entry

anyway, great work. the progress since i started using this 6 months ago has been astounding! it never crashes anymore, the auto-imdb importer works perfectly, and the filtering is awesome.

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Well just to give you guess a bit of a heads up. Filtering as you know will be included in the next major release. This would allow you to have whatever sort of options when you first enter the plugin that you want. This will also integrate into the parental controls system so you could have "Kids Movies" and "Grown Up Movies" without worrying about your kids watching something they shouldn't.

As for multiple instances of Moving Pictures, there are a lot of hurdles to overcome to make this work. Between the way that the plug-in is designed internally and the way the skinning system works in MediaPortal it is not very practical to implement multiple instances in a sane fashion. I don't want to totally rule out the possibility, but as things currently stand, I think it's unlikely it will ever happen. To get a workable and strait forward solution I think some significant changes would need to be made to MediaPortal itself. Maybe we will do this eventually, but I'd like to see what the demand is for "multiple instances" after we get filtering in place.

marvenius

Portal Pro
    September 3, 2008
    Belgium
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Any way to disable fanart?
    You will need to open movingpictures.xml (in your skin folder) with a text editor and set the option for fanart to no (false)
    I'm talking about these settings:
    Code:
     <define>#largeicons.backdrop.used:true</define> 
     - <!--  true if backdrop (fanart) should be displayed in this view   -->   
      <define>#smallicons.backdrop.used:true</define> 
      <define>#list.backdrop.used:true</define> 
      <define>#filmstrip.backdrop.used:true</define> 
        <define>#details.backdrop.used:true</define>

johan_80

Portal Pro
    April 27, 2009
    Well just to give you guess a bit of a heads up. Filtering as you know will be included in the next major release. This would allow you to have whatever sort of options when you first enter the plugin that you want. This will also integrate into the parental controls system so you could have "Kids Movies" and "Grown Up Movies" without worrying about your kids watching something they shouldn't.

As for multiple instances of Moving Pictures, there are a lot of hurdles to overcome to make this work. Between the way that the plug-in is designed internally and the way the skinning system works in MediaPortal it is not very practical to implement multiple instances in a sane fashion. I don't want to totally rule out the possibility, but as things currently stand, I think it's unlikely it will ever happen. To get a workable and strait forward solution I think some significant changes would need to be made to MediaPortal itself. Maybe we will do this eventually, but I'd like to see what the demand is for "multiple instances" after we get filtering in place.

I don't know if this is the same thing as multiple instances of Moving Pictures. But my suggestion (if possible) would be to be able to have multiple "shortcuts" on the home menu. And be able to configure thoose shortcuts with custom names (like now) and custom filtering.

For example I would like to have one shortcut for "Movies" and one called "Concerts". The shortcut "Movies" should load Moving Pictures but filter out everything tagged with genre "Concerts". And the shortcut "Concerts" should load Moving Pictures but filter out everything everything except thoose tagged with "Concerts".

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I don't know if this is the same thing as multiple instances of Moving Pictures. But my suggestion (if possible) would be to be able to have multiple "shortcuts" on the home menu. And be able to configure thoose shortcuts with custom names (like now) and custom filtering.

For example I would like to have one shortcut for "Movies" and one called "Concerts". The shortcut "Movies" should load Moving Pictures but filter out everything tagged with genre "Concerts". And the shortcut "Concerts" should load Moving Pictures but filter out everything everything except thoose tagged with "Concerts".

I understand multiple instances of Moving Pictures is not the same thing as filtering, I was just saying that in your situations they both solve similar problems. Again though, there are a lot of hurdles that make implementing official support of multiple installs very difficult.

Ultimately though, the setup you are describing is also outside the scope of Moving Pictures. Moving Pictures is designed exclusively for movie content. If you want to use it for other things (like for concerts for example) that is great and I am glad you are finding new uses for the plug-in, but that is unfortunately not an area where we are focusing our efforts right now. See this thread for more details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom