Possible MP convert, but questions first :) (1 Viewer)

speedway

Portal Member
August 26, 2006
Riverstone, NSW
Home Country
Hi All

I am seriously considering moving to Mediaportal. Currently I am a MythTV user that is mildly satisfied only. There are things I like about it and things I don't. Now, I openly admit I am a fully fledged Linux user and prefer Linux over Windows but am not here to start an OS war. If possible, I would like to ask a couple of questions before I go ahead and make my MythTV box into a Mediaportal box. The MP box would be the only M$ machine in the house.

I understand that MP has an autoexpire feature where previously recorded shows are autmatically deleted if the space is needed. In Myth, I can tell it to not autoexpire something if I want to keep it a little longer. Can I do the same in MP?

I currently have a working xmltv solution that is a perl based one. With it I can configure my channels etc and have it download the schedule info into an xmltv formatted xml file. With Myth I execute mythfilldatabase and it imports all my info. I can also setup a cron task to do this on schedule. Can I keep using this solution in MP, perl file and all?

On Linux I can rip commercial DVD's by installing a library that allows it. What in the world would I use in the Windows world? Oh, can DVD ripping be done from within MP?

I would pefer to keep my Linux based disk solution where I can extend my available space whenever I want using LVM. I plan to mount these disks via SAMBA to access them from the Windows box. Doable, yes - no?

I am currently using 2 DVB cards - 1 is a Compro Videomate DVB-T300 and the other is a Tevion DVB-220T (basically a KWorld card). I understand I have to do some things to XP to get them both to work, but what about remotes? I am using the Compro remote at the moment via lirc - (a MCE one is on the works) - can I use this in MP?

I hope someone can help me out with this info. I would like to include my WAF even more.

Cheers
Bruce

speedway

Portal Member
August 26, 2006
Riverstone, NSW
Home Country
Oh, sorry - one more thing.

I am not sure about this one but is there the ability to take recorded shows and create DVD's with them. You know, archiving for the future type stuff...

Cheers
Bruce

ohdarklord

Portal Pro
December 31, 2005
Scotland
Home Country
Scotland Scotland
i dont know the answers to all your question but i hope this helps.

Hi All

I understand that MP has an autoexpire feature where previously recorded shows are autmatically deleted if the space is needed. In Myth, I can tell it to not autoexpire something if I want to keep it a little longer. Can I do the same in MP?

There are all kinds of settings for automaticly deleating recordings (when the hard drive is down to 40mb or when it has been watched etc) as far as i know they can all be turned off.

On Linux I can rip commercial DVD's by installing a library that allows it. What in the world would I use in the Windows world? Oh, can DVD ripping be done from within MP?

technicaly it is illegial to rip encryped DVDs and the media portal devs dont like tt brake the law so theres nothing in media portal.

you could use dvd decrypter to make an exact copy of the dvd on your hard disk.

I am currently using 2 DVB cards - 1 is a Compro Videomate DVB-T300 and the other is a Tevion DVB-220T (basically a KWorld card). I understand I have to do some things to XP to get them both to work, but what about remotes? I am using the Compro remote at the moment via lirc - (a MCE one is on the works) - can I use this in MP?

This thread has the win xp fix https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/showthread.php?t=6344

Here is a thread to get the compro t200/300 remote working in windows
https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/showthread.php?t=2516

Oh, sorry - one more thing.

I am not sure about this one but is there the ability to take recorded shows and create DVD's with them. You know, archiving for the future type stuff...

theres a my burner plugin but ive never used it

Bram

Portal Pro
December 12, 2005
's-Hertogenbosch
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Burning DVD's is not something you should expect alway to work flawless. The plugin is in development. But it might also be that it will become totaly rewritten...

NLS

Portal Pro
April 26, 2006
Home Country
Greece Greece
1) yes can be done

2) yes you can - as long as you make some scheduled script update xmltv, AFAIK MP will use it

3) MP will rip commercial DVD if... it doesn't know they are commercial (same as other apps), this can rather easily be done using various methods that are not directly related to MP and don't belong in this forum

4) doable

5) yes

6) and yes there is an under-development burner plugin

speedway

Portal Member
August 26, 2006
Riverstone, NSW
Home Country
Thansk all, much appreciated. I will continue my journey into the Mediaportal world and see what comes of it.

Just another quicky if I may....

When I first did a quick test with XP & GBPVR with my two cards, the Tevion driver install said it couldn't find any cards (the Compro card was setup). Would this have been because I hadn't yet patched XP to use more than 1 DVB card?

Oh, and as I am slipstreaming a custom XP install CD, would I be able to include the new dll's into it, rather than install them after the fact? I don't plan on running XP update at any stage after install....

Cheers
Bruce

Thraka

August 17, 2006
Just as a note. I've just downloaded it and installed it. I find it very painful experience to try and get running well. It's taken me 5 hours to get a tv guide up and running for Redmond Wa, USA and I'm still 1 hour off in the guide and trying to get it updated so it matches.

I've just now discovered though that if I run the media portal, go to my tv, hit guide, go back to main menu and close it, it continues to run in memory forever at 50-100% cpu.

So far i'm disatisfied.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    there's a whole forum devoted to EPG, post in there if you have any issues.
    Bear in mind, that there will be issues like this with most HTPC software. It's never a painless process. I'm sure you'll be in for a shock if you try MythTV. No offence to that app, it's just that there is so much to set up. MCE is the easiest, but that's only because MS severely limit the hardware you can use as well as what features you can have.

We're all here to help. If you have an issue, just ask :)

Nightmare77

Portal Pro
    July 5, 2005
    Canberra
    Home Country
    probably should have been mentioned that the computers specs dont' match up with the 2 , from what i have heard mythTV runs on much lower hardware requirements compared to MP, so if you have a fairly low end system for your myth computer and re-used it on MP, you won't be impressed with the speed and snappyness.

NLS

Portal Pro
    April 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    When I first did a quick test with XP & GBPVR with my two cards, the Tevion driver install said it couldn't find any cards (the Compro card was setup). Would this have been because I hadn't yet patched XP to use more than 1 DVB card?

Oh, and as I am slipstreaming a custom XP install CD, would I be able to include the new dll's into it, rather than install them after the fact? I don't plan on running XP update at any stage after install....

1) probably

2) most probably

...and why not update after install?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom