Possible MP convert, but questions first :) (1 Viewer)

speedway

Portal Member
August 26, 2006
Riverstone, NSW
Home Country
Thanks.

I won't need to update anything, everything required will be installed from the getgo...

Cheers
Bruce

speedway

Portal Member
August 26, 2006
Riverstone, NSW
Home Country
Alrighty

I can't get access to my machine at the moment, my wife wants to watch the Emmies she recorded. So while I ponder an install, I have a couple more questions...

I have been reading the forums and am a little worried about installing MP. Talk of codecs etc and needing the "correct" ones worry me a bit. Is it really that hard to get MP working - ala install, configure cards, install MP, record stuff?

I really do not want an extended period of install given the fact that my wife is happy with Myth and what it does. If I take the box away for a week she will be livid!

I am also after a confirmation of the operation of autoexpire. I have seen a few posts about running out of diskspace or filling up a 250Gb drive. Say I want to record 3 programs and they will take up 9Gb of space. I only have 5Gb available but I have 60Gb of space taken up by old recordings that I have watched and no longer want (ie I haven't told MP to keep them). Does MP automatically zap these old recordings as required, or do I have to manually delete them. Option 2 is not a good option, BTW :)

I am sorry for all the questions but my life would be hell if I zapped the Myth install and installed something that did not work as my wife expected - ala what Myth does (only better!)

Cheers
Bruce

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Well you Have 3 choices

Manual deletion of files of your choice.
    Deletion of files after watching (MP SETUP)
    Deletion of files to free up HD space.(MP SETUP)

Personally prefer 1st one, Deleting after watching affects all recorded, freeing up HD space by randomly deleting oldest recording first, could be your all time favorite that you just lost.

Regards

wortelsoft

Portal Pro
    May 13, 2005
    Rotterdam, The Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    The newest version of mediaportal comes with a set of codecs allready, for hardware optimized DVD playback you can install an aditional comercial DVD player. And that should be it. Problems can occur when installing/unistalling codec packs, if you just stick to the basic stuf you'l be fine.
    Als you might think about a dual boot config, keeps the wife happy while you get to grips with MP.

speedway

Portal Member
    August 26, 2006
    Riverstone, NSW
    Home Country
    Well you Have 3 choices

Manual deletion of files of your choice.
    Deletion of files after watching (MP SETUP)
    Deletion of files to free up HD space.(MP SETUP)

Personally prefer 1st one, Deleting after watching affects all recorded, freeing up HD space by randomly deleting oldest recording first, could be your all time favorite that you just lost.

Regards
    Thanks Ray

Does MP allow to to turn off deletion/autoexpire too? In Myth I can tell it to not autoexpire until I am ready to set it back to be expired...

The newest version of mediaportal comes with a set of codecs allready, for hardware optimized DVD playback you can install an aditional comercial DVD player. And that should be it. Problems can occur when installing/unistalling codec packs, if you just stick to the basic stuf you'l be fine.
    Als you might think about a dual boot config, keeps the wife happy while you get to grips with MP.
    Thanks

Good to hear it comes with a set of codecs. In reality all I would need is codecs for recorded shows, CD rips to MP3 and DVD rips.

Cheers
    Bruce

Bram

Portal Pro
    December 12, 2005
    's-Hertogenbosch
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    You'll need to install some codecs though. I'm not sure you've understood that.
    The codecs included are for...
    MP3 ripping
    SVCD/VCD playback
    DVD Playback
    Recording TV and watching recorded TV

Personaly I use the K-Lite mega codec pack. it will provide you with all you need. Some people will disagree with mee. To them..... I've used them for over three years and never had a problem with them. So I choose the easy way and don't have to download and install every codec sepperately.

Commodore 64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2005
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Just as a note. I've just downloaded it and installed it. I find it very painful experience to try and get running well. It's taken me 5 hours to get a tv guide up and running for Redmond Wa, USA and I'm still 1 hour off in the guide and trying to get it updated so it matches.

I've just now discovered though that if I run the media portal, go to my tv, hit guide, go back to main menu and close it, it continues to run in memory forever at 50-100% cpu.

So far i'm disatisfied.

EPG in USA is tough. You need to be using the Zap2it plugin. Unfortunately it is no longer in development, but it works pretty good right now.

See Here: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/showpost.php?p=60692&postcount=9

O

~ok|

speedway;73239Currently I am a MythTV user that is mildly satisfied only.[/QUOTE said:
    just out of plain curiosity: why do you want to move from mythtv to mediaportal? Features in both applications are fairly similar and it doesn't seem to be a hardware support issue. I don't know if it's really worth the effort.

I'm not here to open a tedious war between both system users, nor to disrepect any developer work. Anyway I know the moderators will cut short any off-topic discussion so I do not really worry about the potential consequences of my post ;). I'm just curious, that's all (I was once a freevo user before migrating to MediaPortal, mainly because of driver support issues)

speedway

Portal Member
    August 26, 2006
    Riverstone, NSW
    Home Country
    You'll need to install some codecs though. I'm not sure you've understood that.
    The codecs included are for...
    MP3 ripping
    SVCD/VCD playback
    DVD Playback
    Recording TV and watching recorded TV

Personaly I use the K-Lite mega codec pack. it will provide you with all you need. Some people will disagree with mee. To them..... I've used them for over three years and never had a problem with them. So I choose the easy way and don't have to download and install every codec sepperately.
    Ah, OK. Thanks for that, I'll look up the klite pack as well...

Cheers
    Bruce

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom