PowerScheduler++ 1.4.0.x - Stable versions for MediaPortal 1.4 (3 Viewers)

polarie

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 20, 2006
    Hasloh (near Hamburg)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: PowerScheduler++ 1.1.3.0 - Stable version for MediaPortal 1.1.3

would say it depends on what you want the PC to be done.

@ WinXP different possibilitys - pressing the power-button for (don't know on W7):

standby -
    or hibernate -
    or off.

i am not 100% sure - but could be that PS++ uses those settings.

regards

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    Re: PowerScheduler++ 1.1.3.0 - Stable version for MediaPortal 1.1.3

It seems to work without me having to change them, so thats good :)

However during my testing I did come across some logic I don't agree with/could be improved, and am interested in other peoples opinion -

To begin with I set my sleep timer to 30 minutes. I then went and set the network monitor, as I didn't want the machine to sleep when I was downloading something.

This however did not work as I expected.

What I expected: After 30min of the machine being idle, just before going to sleep it would check network activity, and if there was any, then it would not sleep.

What happens: If during those 30min, at any point, if there is network activity over the threshold set, then the 30 min timer is reset. So at 30min my machine was never sleeping, as there was always a spike at some point that was resetting the timer and pushign the sleep time 30 min forward.

At 15 min however things seem to be working ok.

Would this logic be better: Just before sleep, the system checks network activity, if the network activity is above the threshold then the system refrains from sleeping. The system then checks every X seconds, and once the network activity has ended, then the system will sleep. User activity would of course reset the 30min timer

Just an idea, probably some flaws in my logic! I guess the short version is 'Wait for network activity to end before sleeping'

polarie

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 20, 2006
    Hasloh (near Hamburg)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

hmm both have pros and contras ...

for me - your solution setting the timer down to 15 minutes would be ok :D

question is - what logic is more flex?
    (working logic for more users?)

regards

Dragy

Portal Pro
    April 27, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

Maybe a stupid question, but how to let the PC go to hibernate (standby?) on Windows 7 automatically after 10 minutes?
    I have configured Windows in energy management to go to standby after 10 minutes, but I think PowerScheduler is preventing the system to do that.
    I don't like to use this feature of PS++, because the PC just goes to standby when I'm busy with another app and have MP running in the background!

With ForTheRecord this was all much easier.. It has much better power management.

michael_t

Portal Pro
    November 30, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Hi revs,

from PS++'s functionality I see problems in implementing your proposal. Let me explain why:

PS(++)'s basic logic is to check for activities/conditions (here: network activity) that should prevent system standby and telling Windows that the sytem must not go to standby, if it finds any. Depending on your configuration there are two cases:
    • If you have not checked the "PS++ forces system to standby..." option, PS++ leaves the whole standby logic to Windows (idle timeout, sleep mode, ...) and just tells Windows if there is something that prevents standby. This has to be done before Windows decides to go to standby, because a standby once initiated cannot be cancelled. So network activity has to be checked permanently by PS++ to prevent standby reliably.
    • If you have checked the "PS++ forces system to standby..." option, PS++ itself will force standby after the time configured ("Stadby after"). In this case it would be possible for PS++ to check for network activity before starting the suspend sequence. But nevertheless Windows could decide to go to standby, so this would not be reliable either (and would mean a different logic for the two configurations, which would make PS++ even more complicated to understand...).

What can you do?
    As polarie proposed, the easiest way is to reduce the timeout to some lower value and maybe adapt your network activity threshold. If you are not using the "PS++ forces system to standby..." option (which I recommend unless you have problems with drivers permanently preventing standby), you could also try to disable PS++'s network monitor at all and see if Windows alone handles network activity satisfactory for your needs.

Michael

PS:
    :D to polarie for his substantiated support for PS++ related problems in this thread. Since it is not easy to answer all the questions elaborately in an adequate time, this is a welcome help for me (especially since I have been on holiday the last weeks and could not access the forum).

Hi Dragy,

I do not really understand your problem: On the one hand you say that PS++ prevents the system from going to standby after 10 minutes (as configured in Windows), on the other hand you say that your PC goes to standby when you are working on it. The latter lets me assume, that you have not selected the "Desktop" profile in PS++ configuration. Please do so and if you still encounter problems, send me logs.

Michael

Angeldust

Portal Member
    October 29, 2006

Hi,
    I have setup a new MP one-seat HTPC.
    I installed the PS++ 1.1.3 and can enable and configure it on the client config, but it is not listed in the TV Server config.
    The TV Server config shows me within the "plugins" section the PowerScheduler 1.0.0 which is the default one I think.
    I reinstalled PS++ already with the same appearance.

Is there anything I can do?

regards,
    Michael

Dragy

Portal Pro
    April 27, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

Hi Dragy,

I do not really understand your problem: On the one hand you say that PS++ prevents the system from going to standby after 10 minutes (as configured in Windows), on the other hand you say that your PC goes to standby when you are working on it. The latter lets me assume, that you have not selected the "Desktop" profile in PS++ configuration. Please do so and if you still encounter problems, send me logs.

Michael
    On the one hand, I had checked the "PS++ forces system to go to standby" option and on the other hand I have disabled that option.

Now I have not checked the "PS++ forces system to go to standby" option, nor any other function that can prevent standby, so Windows must be able to put the system to standby in my case, but it just won't go to standby automatically anymore with MP TVServer installed instead of ForTheRecord. So, TVServer or PS is the prohibiting factor I suppose..

I had selected HTPC and disabled the "PS++ forces system to go to standby" option afterwards. I will test now with the Desktop configuration and see if it is different now.

michael_t

Portal Pro
    November 30, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Hi,
    I have setup a new MP one-seat HTPC.
    I installed the PS++ 1.1.3 and can enable and configure it on the client config, but it is not listed in the TV Server config.
    The TV Server config shows me within the "plugins" section the PowerScheduler 1.0.0 which is the default one I think.
    I reinstalled PS++ already with the same appearance.

Is there anything I can do?

regards,
    Michael
    If you have problems installing the PS++ server, you should manually stop the tvservice before installing PS++.

Michae

agillett

July 10, 2011
    Home Country

Hi,

I've just done a fresh install of Vista, MP 1.1.3 and PS++ 1.1.3.0. My problem is that PS++ puts my system to sleep after 5 minutes when I'm listening to Music. It's fine with Videos and TV. I often like to have music playing for hours at a time, but I can't do this when PS++ is set to put the system in standby.

The attached log shows my system from bootup, starting mediaportal, selecting music to play and going to sleep 5after 5 minutes. It seems PS++ doesn't detect when MP is playing music.

Andrew

michael_t

Portal Pro
    November 30, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: PowerScheduler++ 1.1.3.0 - Stable version for MediaPortal 1.1.3

Hi Andrew,

it seems that you have not enabled the PowerScheduler++ client plugin (at least from the provided server logs I cannot see that the MP client is running, which should be the case when the client plugin is enabled). So check this and if the problem is still there then send full logs.

Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom