powerscheduler preventing sleep (1 Viewer)

stanleywinston

Portal Member
October 7, 2013
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Thanks. Sort of goodish to know I'm not alone. It is definitely mp related, as if I stop the TV service then it'll sleep.

JDWestoby

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 9, 2008
    Poltimore, Devon
    Home Country
    Had a smallish breakthrough courtesy of iboyd.net*, the article was Windows 7 Power Management Fixing PC Insomia

(*I just LOVE the fact that there are people willing to put this stuff out there for other long-suffering souls.)

It is DEFINITELY TVService stopping my PC hibernating (thought it might be a remote share where I have Videos, Music etc.).

Just exiting MP and going to the desktop it doesn't hibernate.

If I stop TV Service (via Sevices.msc) it goes off correctly after around 15 minutes!

Doing (as per the article) powercfg -requests, shows two entries, both TV Service stopping hibernate (one for away mode, which I thought I didin't have/enable).

So, one step forward - try some more tomorrow <grin>!

Weird thing was I did have it hibernating on 1.4 - wonder what I had for settings on that.....?

stanleywinston

Portal Member
    October 7, 2013
    Home Country
    might be a different issue from mine. I think i got to a similar issue last week, when i thought mine was constantly trying to grab epg. I disabled the epg grabbing on idle and timeshifting and the entries in powercfg disappeared and the machine slept. However after a little while the issue came back and i now have nothing showing in powercfg :(

stanleywinston

Portal Member
    October 7, 2013
    Home Country
    Thanks, yes looks like an informative article. I think I've tried everything that's in there but it doesn't hurt to give it another go

JDWestoby

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 9, 2008
    Poltimore, Devon
    Home Country
    Found my issue.

Multiseat and PowerScheduler++ "knows" that the clients are there (even although the are nOT using the HTPC, so it prevents the Windows Hibernate request from working.

I proved this by disconnecting my clients from the network. Voila, HTPC goes into hibernation.

Hope yours turns out to be something as silly as this.

stanleywinston

Portal Member
    October 7, 2013
    Home Country
    but what have you done to solve this? I turned off my router for 15 minutes and the main pc slept. Turned the router back on and the main pc started to sleep and wake as normal. After an evening of use of that and the clients though it is back to not sleeping.
    Driving me mad. not sure what logs to look in or where to go next. Logs say that it will sleep when windows timeouts allows. Windows says there is nothing keeping it awake, but will only sleep if I disable tv server

JDWestoby

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 9, 2008
    Poltimore, Devon
    Home Country
    Nothing yet (Been away for a few days - just uplugged the clients, worked perfectly).

If my HTPC wasn't so greedy (120W) I wouldn't bother an leave it on 24/7 instead!

What I HAVE done is to download the PowerScheduler source and I'll be building that so it ignores the remote clients - just work the request on network activity instead.

That's assuming there isn't some wrinkle in PS that I've missed! Pity the author can't advise, maybe I'll PM him - devs are normally brilliantly helpful.

The code seems fairly straightforward and I'll just be disabling one of the classes rather than making it do something clever.

JDWestoby

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 9, 2008
    Poltimore, Devon
    Home Country
    OK, here is my version of PowerScheduler++ for 1.6 Pre Release.

Literally the ONLY change is changing the lines below (comment, and change).

//_remoteClientStandbyHandler.DisAllowShutdown = true;
    _remoteClientStandbyHandler.DisAllowShutdown = false;

This allows MY HTPC/Server to hibernate (just did) even although the clients are nagging it.

Replace the one in Program Files, under the TV Server and Plugins folder (don't the the path on this PC - it's 64 bit).

Attachments

• PowerScheduler.zip
      56 KB

Portal Pro
    January 11, 2005
    This was a big problem for me on some versions before 1.3. Never had it once on 1.3 itself which I used until a couple of weeks ago but after installing 1.5 it seems to be back. My symptoms are :-
    1: 1.5 Default install (No PS++) No waking to record.
    2: 1.5 Default install (Using PS++) Wakes to record but wont go to standby if 'grab epg when idle' is ticked. (Even though 'grab epg when timeshifting' is selected epg is never updated and has to be done manually).
    3: 1.5 with MP tvserver and FTR scheduler.....Flawless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom