Powerscheduler problems with MP 2.2 bug? (1 Viewer)

Bavarian

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 4, 2005
    Germany, Bayern
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi Bratpitt,

Powerscheduler is called every 30 seconds to check if something has changed. In your case Powerscheduler had not the time to check and therefore it did not schedule the wakeup correctly.
    Therefor please try it again with a waiting time of minimum 30 seconds or let MP shut down your system.

Bavarian

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    Hi Bavarian,
    Can I hijack this thread for a second to make a suggestion?
    At the moment PowerScheduler will not shut down the PC if it is in the Home screen but the preview window is running.
    I'm having difficulties training my flatmate to return to home screen AND pressing stop if there is a preview window open. As a result, I find the PC is running all the time with a timeshift preview active.
    Would it be possible to make it shut the PC down even if the preview window is open?

As for PowerScheduler with v.2.2, I'm finding it runs perfectly, I'm very glad you have adopted it and made it runj so well ;-)

surfermc

Portal Pro
    May 7, 2006
    Dorset
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Bavarian,
    At the moment PowerScheduler will not shut down the PC if it is in the Home screen but the preview window is running.

Would it be possible to make it shut the PC down even if the preview window is open?
    Can I add my support for this. This would make a great addition.

brickbat

Portal Member
    December 22, 2006
    Home Country
    I think I am also having a problem with powerscheduler in 0.2.2 Since I turned it on, it seems to work fine for recording but not webepg. I think it is because it is not waiting long enough for the wireless network card to kick in after returning from the suspend. Are you sure it is waiting the specified time (1 minute is set in my case) before trying to download the epg or is it trying to download it as soon as suspend is complete? Perhaps I need to set a longer time in config?

samuel337

Portal Pro
    August 25, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hi Bavarian,
    Can I hijack this thread for a second to make a suggestion?
    I'm having difficulties training my flatmate to return to home screen AND pressing stop if there is a preview window open. As a result, I find the PC is running all the time with a timeshift preview active.

As for PowerScheduler with v.2.2, I'm finding it runs perfectly, I'm very glad you have adopted it and made it runj so well ;-)

I requested that change a while ago because it only doesn't make sense if you're watching video (unless of course you enjoy watching it in a tiny window, or you only want to listen to the video). If you're listening to music, there's nothing wrong with being on the home screen for that.

Maybe an option would be good, but I don't think its a good idea as the default because then we'd start getting issues where people's computers' are hibernating while they were watching/listening to something.

Besides, doesn't the sound from the TV annoy your flatmate when (s)he leaves it on in preview? I'd assume (s)he'd then realise (s)he needs to press the stop button to shut the damn thing up. Or better yet, just map an off button to your HTPC so all (s)he needs to do is press the off key when (s)he's done.

Sam

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    This happens after the TV is turned off.
    When he finishes watching something he presses the big green button and then the TV power button. If there is something running at the time he needs to press the stop button too, but this seems to be the bit that causes the "difficulties".

In earlier versions the preview window had a time out, but that was a while ago. Now it just runs forever. Whenever I go away for work the PC has usually died by the time I get home as it has been left running 24x7. Once was a hard drive failure and once was a Gfx card. Looking at the event viewer each time showed endlessly running TV. You know what Melbourne can be like when it comes to heat and the small form factor PC just dies eventually.

I think it's reasonable to make it so that the PC turns off whenever it is in the home screen (which is waht the settings actually say). Does anyone really listen to music always in the home screen and not any of the Lyrics, Now playing, Music or full screen windows? Seems like a weird thing to me...

samuel337

Portal Pro
    August 25, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    I assume the reference to 'the TV' is the physical TV, not the TV component in MP.

I don't have an MCE remote, so what does the 'big green button' do? It returns MP to the home screen right? Maybe instead of telling him to press the 'big green button' when he's done, map a button on your remote to the hibernate/standby command in MP. I mean, we're all used to what an on/off button does and it makes 'traditional' sense to turn something off when we're done with it.

I guess with the Now Playing music screen its less likely, but sometimes I just want a clean screen, free of all my music options, lyrics, visualisations etc. What about radio? AFAIK, that has no Now Playing screen. Sometimes I maybe go into my Pictures and look at some pictures before returning to the Home screen to get out of viewing pictures. I don't think its reasonable to expect that I then have to go and find the Now Playing screen again.

Maybe I'm being pedantic, but I just think that as long as MP gives the impression that its playing something, unless the user gives the command, it should not decide to hibernate itself.

Tell me about Melbourne weather and technology - it killed my original HTPC mobo, and now my replacement one's just recently died too and its being RA'ed at the moment. I haven't had a fully working HTPC for a fair while now, and its not even a small form factor one.

Sam

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    Maybe instead of telling him to press the 'big green button' when he's done, map a button on your remote to the hibernate/standby command in MP. I mean, we're all used to what an on/off button does and it makes 'traditional' sense to turn something off when we're done with it.

That's no solution. What if something is being recorded? Pressing the power button during a recording used to kill the system and the recording. Now I'm not sure what it does, but I am pretty sure it won't put MP straight into a state where it will shut off as soon as the recording is finished.

All I ask for is a simple way for a very forgetful person to put the system to sleep. Two buttons maximum, including turning the TV (the actual physical one) off. It seems really straight forward that the home screen should shut the system down after whatever amount of time you tell MP to shut the system down when in the home screen.

So far we have two in favour of this and one against. What do others think?
    (sorry again for the hijack, I didn't realise there would be so much debate)

darklord2005

Portal Member
    December 28, 2006
    I am running 2.2.0 MP and tried using power scheduler in standby mode but it did not wake up my pc to do a recording, is there an svn update to the plugin I can download? I enabled standby from my keyboard to test if the plugin works and it did not.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    So far we have two in favour of this and one against. What do others think?
    (sorry again for the hijack, I didn't realise there would be so much debate)

Can agee with Marcusb on this one, if in home screen, should be standard behaviour to "timeout" and allow powerscheduler to do its job. The energy savings and hardware failures alone, make this a worthwhile choice to implement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom