Practical Way for Porting MP to Linux (3 Viewers)

deezee69

Portal Member
November 27, 2006
hi
this is a great idea. i have just installed a program similar to mp on linux if it helps. go and see this. it is okay but not as much features and it usex .xml for skins.i cant wait to see this on linux. this will mean i can use an older computer .

http://freevo.sourceforge.net/install.html
its hard to configure but does okay

sebrock

September 14, 2006
This is great. MP is THE htpc-software and if ported to linux it will become totally superb! Can't wait for this :D

dubstar

Portal Pro
October 23, 2006
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I throughly support this port as I use mythtv aswell. It would be amazing if mp could be a front end to mythtv.

Has anyone contacted the myth developers to see if they would be interested in incorperating the mp code in to their work??

It would kind of make the work load lighter that way??

I am very interested to see what the outcome would be as media portal on a free operating system would have the possibility to change many peoples opinions of linux!!

maxtrash

Portal Pro
November 27, 2004
Tilburg, Netherlands
I really don't get this. Why not just run Mythtvif you're a unix-user? Isn't mediaportal what it is because it is build on the windows platform, making extensive use of directx?
How would a port ever be able to compete with the mythtv software that is specifically designed for unix?
(no ciritism so proof me wrong)

madsrh

Portal Pro
July 15, 2006
Denmark
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
I truly hope that this is still an active project?

Has anyone contacted the myth developers to see if they would be interested in incorporating the mp code in to their work??
Makes sense to me!

I am also very interested in seeing what the outcome will be. If MediaPortal isn't running on top of Windows, media centers manufactures could save the OS cost - 100% free software. Perhaps MediaPortal would be used in more media centers and thereby reach more users, witch would also make our community grow.

dubstar

Portal Pro
October 23, 2006
Home Country
I have attempted to contact the mythtv developers with no joy. I have been informed that the next release of mythtv (0.21) will include a new rewritten gui with 3d backgrounds and animations!!! Sounds promising but i still can't see it touching media portal!!

Bram

Portal Pro
December 12, 2005
's-Hertogenbosch
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
It would be a great boost for MP if it would run on Linux. Loads of new things can be done.
Also, there are numerous people looking for such a solution in the Linux community, which include a lot of programmers.
I'm pretty sure a port to linux will make MP bigger then WindowsMCE, and all other HTPC solutions together.

Shall I start planning distibution of computers with LinuxMP installed? I think today, a 500 Euro PC will do the trick (consumers price), all features supported. A Windows MCE machine that can do all MCE supports, will cost at least three times that price. It would be a guaranteed hit!

But it sounds like a LOT of work, if we don't want most of the advantages lost (by having to use interfaces like Wine).

*Typing this from my Ubuntu XGL/Beryl workstation :)

dubstar

Portal Pro
October 23, 2006
Home Country
*Typing this from my Ubuntu XGL/Beryl workstation :)

I use ubuntu edgy too. not installed beryl yet as i've heard people have serious problems!!!

Wouldn't it just be a dream to have media portal installed on your ubuntu machine with 'Media portal 0.2.2.3' to use a beryl cube for navigation between screens???

I really wish I had the skills to make it happen, as mythtv has nothing on Media portal other than the fact it is designed for linux!!

Heres to wishing!!

madsrh

Portal Pro
July 15, 2006
Denmark
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
This is a bit ambivalent for me!

Wouldn't it just be a dream to have media portal installed on your ubuntu machine with 'Media portal 0.2.2.3' to use a beryl cube for navigation between screens???

Wow, that is a COOL idea - I'd like too see that!
I actually thought about switch too MythTV for my new HTPC, because it would be open-source all the way. If you are a new user and you are going to buy Windows XP just too run MP, I think many people will choose Windows XP Media Center because it's roughly the same price.
Anyway, I found that that there is many different Media Center software application (just look at the bottom of: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Center), but non of them as good as MP.
MP is (in my opinion) far more user friendly even before you've downloaded it. Thanks too the the great forum and web page layouts.

How would a port ever be able to compete with the MythTv software that is specifically designed for unix?

Maxtrash has a point! It makes it sound just silly - why not just help out on some of the Linux software instead?

I will be looking forward too seeing, as Dubstar mentioned, the MythTV with new rewritten gui, 3D backgrounds and animations. And REALLY REALLY looking forward too the next version of MediaPortal, hopefully with Harley's new more up to date face :cool: .

MadsRH

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom