Preventing Duplicate Recordings (1 Viewer)

owilsky

Portal Pro
July 11, 2011
Home Country
Germany Germany
AW: Re: Preventing Duplicate Recordings

The final condition that is required is that the old recording exists in the place indicated by the database. If you've moved or renamed it then that would explain why TV Server records.

So if I understand this correctly the old file still must exist. I'm coming from SageTV and am currently evaluating MP.
When I watched an episode of a series I normally delete it and expect my HTPC to never record it again, only new episodes/seasons, no repetitions. SageTV does exactly this, but MP not, right?
Is there a plugin that can help?

I feel kind of ignored here :D
As far as I read, 4therecord can help here, right?

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The final condition that is required is that the old recording exists in the place indicated by the database. If you've moved or renamed it then that would explain why TV Server records.

So if I understand this correctly the old file still must exist. I'm coming from SageTV and am currently evaluating MP.
    When I watched an episode of a series I normally delete it and expect my HTPC to never record it again, only new episodes/seasons, no repetitions. SageTV does exactly this, but MP not, right?
    Is there a plugin that can help?

I feel kind of ignored here :D
    As far as I read, 4therecord can help here, right?

Yes MP only detects duplicates if they have already been recorded and still exist. After deletion MP forgets it has recorded.

I am not sure how 4tr handles this.

Out of interest how did sage manage you allowing to re-record a deleted episode?

owilsky

Portal Pro
    July 11, 2011
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Preventing Duplicate Recordings

Out of interest how did sage manage you allowing to re-record a deleted episode?

SageTV remembers every show/episode you ever watched and sets the "watched" status.
    You have something called favorites in SageTV where you can e.g. say "record every episode of the Simpsons, but only at Tuesday evening and only new seasons I never recorded before".

You also can set a favorite explicitly to unwatched to forget the watched episodes.

foxbenw

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2011
    Welwyn Garden City
    Home Country
    Hello
    I am still getting duplicates. I have worked out how to view the tables in mysql and all the series/episode/titles match, in program and recording. The filenames have a timestamp on them so they are different - but from what has been said it looks like that shouldn't matter. I have tried without moving to another folder and importing but it still happens. This is with both the title and episode # keys.
    In the schedule table there is a field for directory which is blank. Don't know if that is relevant.
    Also, nothing has changed re the naming issue with the folder shares so I guess that isn't related.
    In tv server it says I am using 1.1.8.0 - is that correct? I used the 1.2 rc exe over the top of the 1.1.3 install.
    I am thinking of doing a clean install with the full 1.2 release. Do you think this is worth trying first or should i try the other tvserver.exe you supplied earlier in the thread?
    Thanks
    Ben

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    can you provide screenshots of these duplicates? Based on episode number as the key, the following fields in the program table (new recording) and recording table (existing recording)

Program Title
    Series Number
    Episode Number
    Episode Part

Then the programs need to not overlap. Currently TV server will assume that if the times overlap that it was a failed recording and needs to be restarted.
    then finally it actually checks if the program exists (the filename column in the recording table)

So if you have kept the xml files but deleted the TS files then this will not be recognised as an existing recording (it will be assumed to be corrupt)

foxbenw

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2011
    Welwyn Garden City
    Home Country
    Thanks
    Rather than get a screenshot of it all first, as I know it'll be a bit awkward, the field episode part does not exist in either table. Is that the issue?
    If not, I will get screenshots. I am using a program called MySQL Explorer which doesn't provide for filtering by title etc. What would be better to use?
    I have kept the ts files. Haven't deleted or changed anything with the latest one to try to make it simpler to work out what is going wrong.
    Ben

foxbenw

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2011
    Welwyn Garden City
    Home Country
    program.jpg

recording.jpg

Turned out easier than I thought. But would still be interested to hear a better program to view/filter etc.
    Ben

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom