Problem in UK Com 7 / 8 Freeview (1 Viewer)

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Is this a new problem (e.g. since those muxes changed frequencies, new pc hardware, new tuner drivers etc.) or have you always had problems receiving some muxes?

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country

alister

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 11, 2010
    Aberdeen
    Home Country
    These are the scan results (parser out of TVService.log):

Note the 'quality:0' for the 746000, 754000 and 634000 kHz frequencies (com7, com8 and loc1 muxes).

So basically, for those frequencies, the tuner is saying it's locked on to the frequency, but the digital stream is rubbish... (the 'locked' 'signal' and 'quality' info comes from the tuner drivers, as far as I know).

That said, the 'signal:100' for those frequencies seems suspicious - could there be interference from something in the PC maybe (which the tuner is picking up instead of the real off-air signal)?

When I do an all regions scan the results for the frequencies where there is no signal is that same as these i.e. signal strength 100 quality 0

I'm thinking that the signal just isn't good enough.

I have in a loft aerial which isn't ideal but the gable end that's ideal in the conservatory extension, that I can't access the loft of (yeah for a danger it yourself builder)

My parents are way worse - they're in a bungalow and are surrounded by 2 storey houses - I've checked on google maps and the direct line to Durris cuts through two of these. Moving the aerial to the other gable means on the front and point back over the roof, which subjects the aerial to the wind and snow in winter.

Looks like I need to find an installer :-(

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    When I do an all regions scan the results for the frequencies where there is no signal is that same as these i.e. signal strength 100 quality 0

I'm thinking that the signal just isn't good enough.

OK - that all makes sense.

I have in a loft aerial which isn't ideal
    Looks like I need to find an installer :-(

I used to have a large high-gain wideband loft aerial (with signal strength/TV corruption problems, even with mast-head pre-amp etc.) - eventually I gave in and got a professionally installed outdoor aerial - that fixed all the problems...

Basically there is no substitute for height (and no walls in the way) when it comes to aerials.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom