problem with deleted doubled episode (1 Viewer)

el_gato

Portal Pro
October 15, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
i added episode 5x05 of sons of anarchy with higher resolution (.mp4). an avifile of that episode with lower resolution already existed. so i had two episodes for a short time and as i was about to watch the episode and realized the double entries for episode 5, i thought i could delete the old one (.avi) within mp via gui from "disk and database". the avifile was deleted and the mp4 still exists on disk as expected, but it seems that both episodes have been removed from database since they disappeared in the listing within mp, not only the entry for the avi. trying a new import (in mp) does not add the episode (as mp4) again and also in the plugin configuration via mp config there is no episode 5x5 listed anymore and it also can not be found with a new import...

i hope the logs are not too old to reconstruct the problem since i was not able to open a thread immediately...

Attachments

• MP-TVSeries.bak
    113.8 KB

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    It makes sense for both to dissappear from database as the online reference is the same for both files(when deleting from database you effectivily delete the online data associated with that episode), however it looks like you stumbled on a problem where you can't re-import to get the 2nd ep back.

I will try setup a test for this soon, you may need to delete the whole series from Database only.

el_gato

Portal Pro
    October 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    yeah, i already thought that it would be only the episodes name which would be referenced without the fileending... so i'll wait for your test. thank you!

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Can you double check that the mp4 extension is added to the MediaPortal Video Extensions configuration page?

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    If you are able to recreate the problem of having double episodes show, then open the MP-TVSeries config, goto "Details" and expand the show and season and select first episode. You can then see the filename location at the right side and select the 'double' episode to spot the difference.

From here you can also right click and do the same delete actions as you can from GUI. But this way you can find out in an easier way what is happening. Be sure to keep an eye on the "Show hidden" setting, as this could be your problem.

I've dealt with double episodes myself often as well, but never had an issue with using "Delete from disk" method. The moment you delete from database then you get issues, because the same episode reference is used. Normally running an import again solves this as the 'other' file is still present, but when you deleted the original episode from database it could have flagged the other as ignore/hidden. You can verify all this from inside GUI as well, but much easier inside config.

el_gato

Portal Pro
    October 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    . Be sure to keep an eye on the "Show hidden" setting, as this could be your problem.

in the tvseriesconfig /details /show /season "view" are 0 episodes hidden, 7 episodes total out of 8 existing episodes on the disk. so episode 5 may be flagged as ignore in the database as you mentioned. i hoped to get rid of all sons of anarchy concerning databaseentries especially the probably ignored file by deleting the whole series from database and tried a reimport, but the specific episode 5x5 is also not listed there to be imported again... i have no clue of all this database stuff so i can only guess that the ignores are stored there independently from the series?

koumakkoumes

October 16, 2012
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    There is still bug in the Hide or Delete from database functionality. If I have two same episode (even in different folder) and I want delete/hide one of it then it delete/hide both of them. Reason to have more than one of same episode can be different language, resolution, compression .... It looks that the delete procedure uses only the episode name, not unique database reference of selected record.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    There is still bug in the Hide or Delete from database functionality. If I have two same episode (even in different folder) and I want delete/hide one of it then it delete/hide both of them. Reason to have more than one of same episode can be different language, resolution, compression .... It looks that the delete procedure uses only the episode name, not unique database reference of selected record.

That is because there is only one episode reference at TheTVdB. It gets linked twice via the local media file info table, but it is still only a single episode reference for the metadata table. When you delete an episode from database, you are thereby removing the summary/etc metadata for every episode linked.

What you want to do is to use the "Delete From Disk" option. This then only removes the entry in the local media table that you want to remove and the episode metadata is retained for any other episode still using it.

So this is not a bug, but expected behaviour.

If you by mistake did a "Delete From Disk+Database" on one file and it therefore made the other filename that used the same info 'dissapear', then simply run a new import. The same series IDs should be used, so it will re-link the episode, but it can sometimes fail. Then you need to run manual SQL commands to clean up the database. You can search the forum for help on that, however MP-TVSeries has been improved to deal with this setup, so more then likely you will not have an issue with just running a new import and check for hidden entries.

Last edited:

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi

Found twist on above issue. I created two copies of the same episode by mistake and lost track of which episode was which, so I deleted the SERIES from the DATABASE and deleted the files separately, in OS.

Sorted my episodes, put all 5 back in to place and re-ran the import.

Episode 1, the one I'd duplicate was not imported, checked it was nothing to with file or name (moved it from 01 - Utopia.mp4 to 07 - Utopia.mp4 and imported 100%).

So, I deleted the series from DATABASE again, then loaded up the TVSeriesDatabase4.DB directly in sqlite3 and found the orphan file reference, and removed it from DB and did re-import in MPTVSeries and 100% success.

It seems the duplicate episode is not removed when the series is deleted, but as an orphan, has no attached series and hence cannot be removed in the GUI.

No a big problem for me, and had it not been my crappy episode naming in the 1st place, there would never have been a problem. GIGO:->

TTFN - JCMP

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom