Problem with External Subtitles (.srt) with mkv files (1 Viewer)

SoundCave

Portal Member
September 3, 2008
Home Country
Italy Italy
what kind of codec installation do you have?

I'looking for the smallest, simplest and best compatibility configuration.

I'm for sure use Coreavc, ac3filter,Haali media splitter and ffdshow for divx
but probably i get the same result with less codec

hoborg

Portal Pro
June 13, 2008
Nový Jičín
Home Country
Czech Republic Czech Republic
what kind of codec installation do you have?

I'looking for the smallest, simplest and best compatibility configuration.

I'm for sure use Coreavc, ac3filter,Haali media splitter and ffdshow for divx
but probably i get the same result with less codec

Yes, exactly - smallest & simplest.
That is one of reason i created my "tool" - https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/offtopic-57/stand-alone-filters-htpc-44614/

That is what i am using + PowerDVD 7 for DVD playback (i will try to put PowerDVD decoder in to my tool too - not sure if it will be possible, but i will try)

Using Catalyst 8.8 and DXVA works for MPEG2/H.246 acceleration.

Haali media splitter is not codec - it is splitter - it split MKV to audio/video/subtitle streams.

SoundCave

Portal Member
September 3, 2008
Home Country
Italy Italy
Thank you very much for your help in understanding splitter & codecs, i appreciated it a lot !

So starting from a clean winxp sp3 installation you install only your toll and Power dvd, then you can watch:

avi and mkv encoded in divx, xvid, h264,vc1, mpg2 in mediaportal with subtitles and/or multiple language?

I think it's a dream for me !
Do you know some tool to make a complete clean of all my bad direct show filters?
So i can start from the begin and use only your tool

:D

hoborg

Portal Pro
June 13, 2008
Nový Jičín
Home Country
Czech Republic Czech Republic
Thank you very much for your help in understanding splitter & codecs, i appreciated it a lot !

So starting from a clean winxp sp3 installation you install only your toll and Power dvd, then you can watch:

avi and mkv encoded in divx, xvid, h264,vc1, mpg2 in mediaportal with subtitles and/or multiple language?

I think it's a dream for me !
Do you know some tool to make a complete clean of all my bad direct show filters?
So i can start from the begin and use only your tool

:D

Yes, of course :)

Well it is not easy to clean whole system... I am sorry i dont know about any kind of "super cleaner" program...

SoundCave

Portal Member
September 3, 2008
Home Country
Italy Italy
Last things......

What kind of Mediaportal version do you use?

Excuse me, i see it on your profile.......

Thank's again

SoundCave

Portal Member
September 3, 2008
Home Country
Italy Italy
Yesterday evening i try all your suggestion.

Now it's working quite fine.

I cannot use your package because give me an error at the
end of installation, probably because we have a different
path for windows and program (different language).

I clean all, unistall the k-lite codec pack, clean the registry
with CCleaner, and erase the broken direct show filter with Filmerit

Then I get the same file of your pack and put it on the correct path.

Now DirectVobSub load correctly and i can watch internal subtitles in mkv files.

The avi files encoded in divx or xvid need divx codec installation(do you use something else?)

For mkv encoded in h264 i use PowerDvd 7 codec, with dxva checked(but i don't know if it's really working)
Do you use for this "MPCVideoDec" ? How do you registered it? Mediaportal doesn't recognize it for H264.

Another little strange things is that with this configuration i can watch extenal subtitles (srt files)
with Windows Media Player, Mediaportal instead doesn't recognize it.

I'm quite satisfaied even if i had to convert all files with external subtitles in mkv via mkvtoolnix.

Thank's again!

SoundCave

Portal Member
September 3, 2008
Home Country
Italy Italy
Now all is perfect! I made a clean installation of WinXp sp3 , install only drivers, Mediaportal, Haaly media Splitter and your package.

Everithing work fine, i can open mkv and avi (divx) files , Haaly open automatically directvobsub and i can watch internal mkv subtitles.

When i watch a 720p mkv the dxva of MPC video decoder was checked but tell me that it's not in use.This is not a big deal
for me because i have a good cpu so i can handle it.

Is right that even the mkv files have to meet some requirements to make dxva function?

The only little strange things is that Windows Media Player open the same filters but can handle external subtitles, in avi and in mkv files,
probably is a little bug of mediaportal.

Hell_Angel

Portal Pro
June 17, 2005
Home Country
Finland Finland
I had this problem too, but I got it solved! I first used ffdshow subtitle filter and it worked with every other video file types well, except .mkv's. I had Cyberlink H.264 codec installed, for HD material in configuration->movies->player->H.264 codec. I changed it to ffdshow video decoder and voila! After that everything's been working just fine.

Only codecs needed for this:
ffdshow
.. and Haali Media Splitter is need to be installed also.

This problem is caused, because MP won't load ffdshow video decoder at all (if you don't have it as .H264 codec) when you start to watch .mkv files, so subtitle filter won't load also.

Best regards,
Hell_Angel

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom