Problem with XMLTV and TV Database (1 Viewer)

sleepycol

Portal Pro
June 2, 2006
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi Taipan,

Please also note the excessive hard drive access associated with this. Often 10-15mins. I do not have a slow PC. It seems way too much for a few MB's of text data.

Cheers,
Colin

joboehl

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Brazil Brazil
    sleepycol,

Does deleteing your TV database file solve the issues? Maybe something got corrupted during a SVN Update/Instalation.

You can just move it somewhere and see if this helps.

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Please also note the excessive hard drive access associated with this. Often 10-15mins.

Sorry Colin, but I have not been able to reproduce the "excessive hard drive access". Does this have any impact on the use of Mediaportal - like "choppy" TV viewing, or slow navigation?

sleepycol

Portal Pro
    June 2, 2006
    Home Country
    Hi,

Yes it does result in choppy TV and slow tv guide navigation while it is importing the new tv guide. This was quite major when using xmltv, but less so when using epg from dvbt stream. I did try deleting the tvdatabase a while ago and it made no difference, but maybe I will try it again.

See this thread as others have found a similar problem.....

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/excessive_hdd_access_tv_database-t29336.html

Cheers,

Colin

blackheart42

Portal Pro
    October 13, 2006
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Please also note the excessive hard drive access associated with this. Often 10-15mins.

Sorry Colin, but I have not been able to reproduce the "excessive hard drive access". Does this have any impact on the use of Mediaportal - like "choppy" TV viewing, or slow navigation?

The best way to see the excessive (and sluggish) hard drive access is:

1. Exit MP.
    2. In the config program, delete all programs from the TV database
    3. Run the grabber. Notice how long it takes for TVGuideScheduler to process the data. In my case it took 90 seconds to process less than 1000 programs. Is it reasonable that my system could only process 11 programs a second? On an Athlon 64 X2 3800+?
    4. Run MP, go to the TV Guide and then immediately exit MP.
    5. Watch the task manager to see how long MP stays in the task list. Depending on how many channels you've got configured, it'll take a few minutes. Again, is that reasonable?

Regarding the bug report you entered in Mantis, I agree that the errors you noted are trivial. My concern is with the 10 - 20 MegaByte error logs that I included in my bug report that started this thread. But I'm assuming that you couldn't duplicate that either. :(

Blackheart

sleepycol

Portal Pro
    June 2, 2006
    Home Country
    Hi,

I've just done a fresh import of webepg data. The TVGuide.xml file was just under 5Mb. It took MP 15 minutes to import this file. Surely thats way too long to process a 5Mb file?

All the time the TV was choppy and the tv guide was slow to browse. I have a fast PC with E6300 Intel processor.

Cheers,

Colin

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    My concern is with the 10 - 20 MegaByte error logs that I included in my bug report that started this thread. But I'm assuming that you couldn't duplicate that either.

That's correct - I only get one entry of the error message and then MediaPortal continues on as if nothing odd had occurred ...

I will do some more testing on the weekend to see if I can reproduce these other issues.

sleepycol

Portal Pro
    June 2, 2006
    Home Country
    Is there a way to schedule when MP IMPORTS the tvguide.xml file? Therefore it wouldn't always check for updates and try importing when I want to use the TV or guide or play a video etc. This would mean the 15 minute HDD access could happen over night? Would be handy to schedule it outside of MP (like I have setup the webepg to run in windows scheduler at 6am everyday). This means there is a new TVguide.xml file everyday. It would be handy to schedule the import at say 6.30am so that next time I use MP it will never check for a new tvguide.xml and also its already imported.....just a thought.....

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Is there a way to schedule when MP IMPORTS the tvguide.xml file?

Yes, there is - I use Windows Scheduler (or PVR Scheduler) to wake the PC, launch a vbs script that runs WEbEPG.exe, then runs TVGuideScheduler.exe to import the new EPG data, and finally launches MediaPortal for 60 seconds to pick up any recurring schedules, before putting the PC back to sleep. Works beautifully ... :D

Which probably explains why I don't see any impact of the TVGuide import on MediaPortal, as the above is all done at 3:00AM each morning.

sleepycol

Portal Pro
    June 2, 2006
    Home Country
    Hi Taipan,

Perfect! I will give this a go. Do you think its essential to run MP at the end? I guess so otherwise you wouldn't have done it!

In windows scheduler, is it possible to schedule a task to run only when a previous one completes? Or maybe I should just allow plenty of time between tasks so that the previous one will have definitely completed.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom