Problem with XMLTV and TV Database | Page 3

Discussion in '0.2.3.0 RC3 and SVN Builds' started by blackheart42, October 23, 2007.

1. blackheart42

blackheart42 Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Home Country:
    Canada Canada
    I can't copy your procedure because WebEPG doesn't support Canada but I was doing something similar. XMLTV runs via Windows Scheduler and (previously) imported the data without any problems. MP was running all the time with PowerScheduler to control waking up for recording and going back to sleep. Now it seems like MP is locking the database most of the time and TVGuideScheduler is having a terrible time getting in. I've had to disable the automatic update completely to prevent crashing my system due to the battle between these two programs.

I don't understand your comment about "...finally launches MediaPortal for 60 seconds to pick up any recurring schedules". Does that mean that MP doesn't run all the time? If so, what do you use to start MP for scheduled recordings? I'm missing something. :confused:

Blackheart

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Paranoid Delusion
    • Premium Supporter

Paranoid Delusion Moderation Manager

Electrical Engineer
    Ratings:
    +1,482 / 0
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Show System Specs
    TVE3 has it's own Powerscheduler which can work with or without MP being installed.

Also a program called PVRScheduler, which some of us use that will do much more.

Regards

4. Taipan
    • Premium Supporter

Taipan Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0
    Home Country:
    Australia Australia
    Show System Specs
    I use PVR Scheduler for all of this (and some more) - and since PVR Scheduler needs to be updated with any new recurring schedules, I launch Mediaportal after the EPG data has been fully imported and allow it to find any new recurring recordings in the new EPG data, and then I synchronise PVR Scheduler with Mediaportal so that it (PVRS) knows when to wake the PC for the next recording. When that is all done (takes about 5 minutes), PVRS puts the PC back to standby.

Thats why I do all these steps from within a vb script - each task must complete before the next one can commence - so then it is only necessary to schedule the vb script to run ... :)

Here's an example vb script used with PVR Scheduler:-

Code (Text):
    1. 'A Windows script that is launched to grab the latest TV program data,
    2. 'update MediaPortal's EPG and then synchronise recurring schedules back to PVR Scheduler
    3. '
    4. 'Usage - cscript epgupdate.vbs
    8. Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    11. 'Launch WebEPG and wait for it to complete grabbing new TV program data
    13. Return = WshShell.Run("C:\Progra~1\MediaP~1\WebEPG.exe", 0, true)
    16. 'Launch TVGuideScheduler to import the new data from TVGuide.xml into the MediaPortal TV database
    18. Return = WshShell.Run("C:\Progra~1\MediaP~1\TVGuideScheduler.exe", 0, true)
    21. 'Launch MediaPortal and wait 1 minute
    23. WshShell.Run "C:\Progra~1\MediaP~1\mediaportal.exe"
    25. WScript.Sleep 60000
    28. 'Launch the PVR Scheduler synch process
    30. Return = WshShell.Run("C:\Progra~1\PVRSch~1\scheduler.exe -sync", 0, true)
    32. 'Exit this script and allow PVR Scheduler to terminate MediaPortal and then put the PC back to Standby mode
    I can't guarantee that this will work "as is", because I launch that vb script from a .bat file - the .bat file also runs defrag.exe once a week (to defrag the HDD) and checks if there are any new recordings to run comskip.exe against (to remove the advertisements). You will need "sleep.exe" to use this vb script, but I don't remember where I got it from - try "googling" for it?

I also use PVR Scheduler to turn my audio amplifiers on and off - and PVRS is configured to keep the amplifiers off when the PC is resumed for the above tasks, or for a scheduled recording. It is a very useful addition to MediaPortal and is available here ....

5. sleepycol

sleepycol Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +33 / 1
    Home Country:
    Hi,

I've now scheduled the webepg download at 5am and the tvguide.xml import to MP at 6am. This works great! Now when I go into MP I do not get the manic HDD access as its already done whilst im sleeping ;0)

Thanks for the help and advice etc. I'll leave this scheduled until a more efficient way of importing this data is invented, without the need for scheduling.

Incidently, would it be possible to have an option in MP config to prevent MP from auto checking for tvguide updates? That way I can guarantee no random hdd accesswhilst using MP.

Cheers,
    Colin

6. sleepycol

sleepycol Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +33 / 1
    Home Country:
    Has this now been fixed?

7. blackheart42

blackheart42 Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Home Country:
    Canada Canada
    I don't think it's been acknowledged as a problem. I'm just hoping that when the next version comes out the database/hard drive access problem(s) are magically gone.

Blackheart

8. sleepycol

sleepycol Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +33 / 1
    Home Country:
    On the SVN changelog.....

MediaPortal tv
    08/11/2007 [01:54:32] rtv added: fixed slow xmltvimport while MP is running.

9. ronilse
    • Premium Supporter

ronilse Retired Team Member

MediaPortal tester
    Ratings:
    +280 / 0
    Home Country:
    Norway Norway
    Show System Specs
    Hi,
    The slow import it's fixed & hdd access should be fine again, the best is to have epg data downloaded & night when none use the comp, here it only takes 30 sec(22 channels & data for 7 days), before the fix it took from 5 to 10 mins ;)

Regards
    Roy

10. Taipan
    • Premium Supporter

Taipan Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0
    Home Country:
    Australia Australia
    Show System Specs
    Yes, I can confirm that both the HDD access problem and the SQLiteClient error mesage are fixed in SVN 16485 - Nov 9, 2007. Thankyou rtv .... :)

11. blackheart42

blackheart42 Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Home Country:
    Canada Canada
    Looks good. The following issues have disappeared with SVN 16484:
    - multi-megabyte error logs.
    - slow xmltv imports.
    - slow channel sorting in the config tool.

Thanks everyone!

Blackheart

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!