Problem with XMLTV and TV Database (1 Viewer)

blackheart42

Portal Pro
October 13, 2006
Home Country
Canada Canada
Is there a way to schedule when MP IMPORTS the tvguide.xml file?

Yes, there is - I use Windows Scheduler (or PVR Scheduler) to wake the PC, launch a vbs script that runs WEbEPG.exe, then runs TVGuideScheduler.exe to import the new EPG data, and finally launches MediaPortal for 60 seconds to pick up any recurring schedules, before putting the PC back to sleep. Works beautifully ... :D

Which probably explains why I don't see any impact of the TVGuide import on MediaPortal, as the above is all done at 3:00AM each morning.

I can't copy your procedure because WebEPG doesn't support Canada but I was doing something similar. XMLTV runs via Windows Scheduler and (previously) imported the data without any problems. MP was running all the time with PowerScheduler to control waking up for recording and going back to sleep. Now it seems like MP is locking the database most of the time and TVGuideScheduler is having a terrible time getting in. I've had to disable the automatic update completely to prevent crashing my system due to the battle between these two programs.

I don't understand your comment about "...finally launches MediaPortal for 60 seconds to pick up any recurring schedules". Does that mean that MP doesn't run all the time? If so, what do you use to start MP for scheduled recordings? I'm missing something. :confused:

Blackheart

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    If so, what do you use to start MP for scheduled recordings? I'm missing something.

TVE3 has it's own Powerscheduler which can work with or without MP being installed.

Also a program called PVRScheduler, which some of us use that will do much more.

Regards

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    blackheart42 said:
    what do you use to start MP for scheduled recordings?

I use PVR Scheduler for all of this (and some more) - and since PVR Scheduler needs to be updated with any new recurring schedules, I launch Mediaportal after the EPG data has been fully imported and allow it to find any new recurring recordings in the new EPG data, and then I synchronise PVR Scheduler with Mediaportal so that it (PVRS) knows when to wake the PC for the next recording. When that is all done (takes about 5 minutes), PVRS puts the PC back to standby.

sleepycol said:
    is it possible to schedule a task to run only when a previous one completes?

Thats why I do all these steps from within a vb script - each task must complete before the next one can commence - so then it is only necessary to schedule the vb script to run ... :)

Here's an example vb script used with PVR Scheduler:-

Code:
    'A Windows script that is launched to grab the latest TV program data,
    'update MediaPortal's EPG and then synchronise recurring schedules back to PVR Scheduler
    '
    'Usage - cscript epgupdate.vbs

Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

'Launch WebEPG and wait for it to complete grabbing new TV program data

Return = WshShell.Run("C:\Progra~1\MediaP~1\WebEPG.exe", 0, true) 

'Launch TVGuideScheduler to import the new data from TVGuide.xml into the MediaPortal TV database

Return = WshShell.Run("C:\Progra~1\MediaP~1\TVGuideScheduler.exe", 0, true)

'Launch MediaPortal and wait 1 minute

WshShell.Run "C:\Progra~1\MediaP~1\mediaportal.exe"

WScript.Sleep 60000

'Launch the PVR Scheduler synch process

Return = WshShell.Run("C:\Progra~1\PVRSch~1\scheduler.exe -sync", 0, true)

'Exit this script and allow PVR Scheduler to terminate MediaPortal and then put the PC back to Standby mode

I can't guarantee that this will work "as is", because I launch that vb script from a .bat file - the .bat file also runs defrag.exe once a week (to defrag the HDD) and checks if there are any new recordings to run comskip.exe against (to remove the advertisements). You will need "sleep.exe" to use this vb script, but I don't remember where I got it from - try "googling" for it?

I also use PVR Scheduler to turn my audio amplifiers on and off - and PVRS is configured to keep the amplifiers off when the PC is resumed for the above tasks, or for a scheduled recording. It is a very useful addition to MediaPortal and is available here ....

sleepycol

Portal Pro
    June 2, 2006
    Home Country
    Hi,

I've now scheduled the webepg download at 5am and the tvguide.xml import to MP at 6am. This works great! Now when I go into MP I do not get the manic HDD access as its already done whilst im sleeping ;0)

Thanks for the help and advice etc. I'll leave this scheduled until a more efficient way of importing this data is invented, without the need for scheduling.

Incidently, would it be possible to have an option in MP config to prevent MP from auto checking for tvguide updates? That way I can guarantee no random hdd accesswhilst using MP.

Cheers,
    Colin

sleepycol

Portal Pro
    June 2, 2006
    Home Country
    On the SVN changelog.....

MediaPortal tv
    08/11/2007 [01:54:32] rtv added: fixed slow xmltvimport while MP is running.

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    The slow import it's fixed & hdd access should be fine again, the best is to have epg data downloaded & night when none use the comp, here it only takes 30 sec(22 channels & data for 7 days), before the fix it took from 5 to 10 mins ;)

Regards
    Roy

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Yes, I can confirm that both the HDD access problem and the SQLiteClient error mesage are fixed in SVN 16485 - Nov 9, 2007. Thankyou rtv .... :)

blackheart42

Portal Pro
    October 13, 2006
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Looks good. The following issues have disappeared with SVN 16484:
    - multi-megabyte error logs.
    - slow xmltv imports.
    - slow channel sorting in the config tool.

Thanks everyone!

Blackheart

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom