Problems while streaming DVD's or Video files from NAS (Synology DSM 4.1 2636) (1 Viewer)

sincze

Portal Pro
September 18, 2011
Hi.

I'm a MP 1.2.3 user for some time now, but haven't got a clue what happened to me recently.
After updating my NAS. (Synology) to the latest firmware, DVD playback seems to be impossible.

If I select a movie and try to play a DVD I get the following error.:

VIDEO CODEC: MPEG Version 2
AUDIO CODEC: AC-3

Problem is described here however there seems to be no support:
https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...ds-or-video-files-from-nas.87389/#post-896344

All .MKV, AVI even DVD.ISO files play just fine.

Only my ripped DVD collection is giving troubles and I did work before upgrading the Synology.

Directory Structure: DVD-NAME / VIDEO_TS

Probem is with all my MP machines (3 in total), nothing changed, no codec issues.
Playback in WMP works just fine.

MP 1.3.0 unfortunately.... same problem.... see attached log files.

There is something wrong with MP trying to access the \VIDEO_TS.IFO file.
I've posted my logs in the other thread.
Who knows the answer. Converting my movies with Folder2Iso is not really my idea of a solution. And guys... XBMC doesn't have this problem. It plays my movies well, however for the moment I don't want to use is as I'm an MP fan.
Thanks for helping me.
Sandor

Last edited:

Infidelus

Portal Pro
August 12, 2006
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Interesting. I just updated to the latest DSM too and now can't play DVDs either. It hadn't even occurred to me that there was a correlation between the two.

Infidelus

Portal Pro
August 12, 2006
Home Country
Just to add, I've just installed MP2 Alpha just to have a look. Using that version, I have no problems at all playing my DVDs from the NAS, although after using MP1 for so long, navigating around MP2 was very different :)

sincze

Portal Pro
September 18, 2011
Just to add, I've just installed MP2 Alpha just to have a look. Using that version, I have no problems at all playing my DVDs from the NAS, although after using MP1 for so long, navigating around MP2 was very different :)

Well that is some good news, however.... This means something has to be done within MP1. If the Developers would be so kind to solve the issue.
If I need to post more loggings please let me know.

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.

I'm a MP 1.2.3 user for some time now, but haven't got a clue what happened to me recently.
    After updating my NAS. (Synology) to the latest firmware, DVD playback seems to be impossible.

If I select a movie and try to play a DVD I get the following error.:

VIDEO CODEC: MPEG Version 2
    AUDIO CODEC: AC-3

Problem is described here however there seems to be no support:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...ds-or-video-files-from-nas.87389/#post-896344

All .MKV, AVI even DVD.ISO files play just fine.

Only my ripped DVD collection is giving troubles and I did work before upgrading the Synology.

Directory Structure: DVD-NAME / VIDEO_TS

Probem is with all my MP machines (3 in total), nothing changed, no codec issues.
    Playback in WMP works just fine.

MP 1.3.0 unfortunately.... same problem.... see attached log files.

There is something wrong with MP trying to access the \VIDEO_TS.IFO file.
    I've posted my logs in the other thread.
    Who knows the answer. Converting my movies with Folder2Iso is not really my idea of a solution. And guys... XBMC doesn't have this problem. It plays my movies well, however for the moment I don't want to use is as I'm an MP fan.
    Thanks for helping me.
    Sandor

What DVD Navigator do you have set in MP config?
    There seems also a problem with your Video database.

Last edited:

sincze

Portal Pro
    September 18, 2011
    What DVD Navigator do you have set in MP config? There seems also a problem with your Video database.[/quote said:
    Mmm that would be strange on all 3 mediaplayers at the same time ???
    I'll add the picture. Please do help.

Hopefully your suggestions will save my day ;)

Attachments

• DVD Discs.PNG
      DVD Discs.PNG
      89 KB

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Can reproduce after upgrading my 212+. Will open a Mantis in the next few days once I have a better idea what exactly is not working properly.

Last edited:

Beholder101

March 11, 2012
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Another confirmation. This had me puzzled the whole weekend. After a clean boot I can play one DVD (extracted) without any problem and if I stop after a a few minutes and switch movies it will play fine too. It is only after a more than 5 minutes the problem occurs. If i stop the movie after 30 minutes and switch, others will fail to load. I even tried upgrading to SAF 6.13 WIP2, but this did not help.

This morning i started looking through the forum, only to find I'm not alone. And the Synology forum has some entries about this problem too. They say the engineers of Synology are aware of the bug and are working on it: http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=221&t=56215

Let's hope this is an easy one to fix....

Infidelus

Portal Pro
    August 12, 2006
    Home Country
    Another confirmation. This had me puzzled the whole weekend. After a clean boot I can play one DVD (extracted) without any problem and if I stop after a a few minutes and switch movies it will play fine too. It is only after a more than 5 minutes the problem occurs. If i stop the movie after 30 minutes and switch, others will fail to load. I even tried upgrading to SAF 6.13 WIP2, but this did not help.

This morning i started looking through the forum, only to find I'm not alone. And the Synology forum has some entries about this problem too. They say the engineers of Synology are aware of the bug and are working on it: http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=221&t=56215

Let's hope this is an easy one to fix....

Quick heads up for those interested.

I had a ticket open with Synology for the DVD playback problem. They've just sent me a link to a DSM update that fixes the issue (for me anyway).

I assume it'll be released to the general populus soon, but if you don't want to wait,open a ticket here

https://myds.synology.com/support/support_form.php?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom