Problems with DXVA in MPC Video Decoder (1 Viewer)

edterbak

Portal Pro
March 4, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Can you test if you select analogue output (no sound as a result) if the jerky playback is still there? If its gone, the problem could be related to the audio part.

Also, did you set vertical sync to always in ati CCC (under 3d>all) Enable/disable pulldowndetection in ATI CCC.
hope you'll find a clue.

Synthetic

Portal Pro
March 23, 2009
Home Country
Germany Germany
AFter testing the files on another system of mine with a completely different plattform (Intel / NVidia instead of AMD / Ati) I discovered that the problem has to be Ati / Amd dependent as the file works fine on the other plattform with dxva.
Tried the "no sound" option, didn't work either. :(
Yes, V-Sync is always on in CCC.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Just to throw a spanner in the works here.

Most of my files are dxva compliant (2 are not apparently), now if i play a file using PDVD's h.264 codec, I get low cpu use with MP, if I switch to MPC codec, cpu rises, but not by a great deal (12 to 20%), if i play the same file in MPC-HC it runs at 50% :confused:,
    and despite all my settings being set to the correct parameters in MPC config, it always shows no dxva.

Think there is a difference between how Nvidia and ATI handle these files, yes I know more modern gpu's are more effective, but it still should not reflect such a difference, unless some major post processing of the file is being done without you knowing.

mr viggo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    My AMD motherboard has a Cool n Quiet feature accessible via BIOS. If turned on, DXVA goes bananas and requires a tweak in the power management settings.

What I've heard, most AM motherboard has this feature, check if yours is enabled!

buddman

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2008
    TX
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Welcome to the wonderful world of DXVA and ATI. It can be a PAIN. But it is possible to get all your content playing correctly under it. I had a similar issue where some files I own have a IDC profile of 5.1, and as a result, play blocky as hell with DXVA with my ATI 4670. Changing just the header of the file won't work (which I see you may have tried that with IDC Changer, I did that too without success).

The only way to get around this issue, that I found, is that you have to re-encode (or I guess it's called transcode) the video file. The easiest solution I found for this was to use mkv2vob and do this to my video files. I used the high quality .h264 setting so as not to lose any quality. The only drawback was that it increased the file size to the files I did it to, but I have a lot of HD space, so was a fair trade off.

Maybe ATI in the future will fix these issues, but for now that's the best solution I've found.

Synthetic

Portal Pro
    March 23, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Welcome to the wonderful world of DXVA and ATI. It can be a PAIN. But it is possible to get all your content playing correctly under it. I had a similar issue where some files I own have a IDC profile of 5.1, and as a result, play blocky as hell with DXVA with my ATI 4670. Changing just the header of the file won't work (which I see you may have tried that with IDC Changer, I did that too without success).

The only way to get around this issue, that I found, is that you have to re-encode (or I guess it's called transcode) the video file. The easiest solution I found for this was to use mkv2vob and do this to my video files. I used the high quality .h264 setting so as not to lose any quality. The only drawback was that it increased the file size to the files I did it to, but I have a lot of HD space, so was a fair trade off.

Maybe ATI in the future will fix these issues, but for now that's the best solution I've found.

So the next hardware upgrade will be a discrete NVidia card :D

Will try the CnQ advice when i'm at home though.

BTW: Thank you all for your tips and answers :)

TheLastV8

Portal Member
    January 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    ATI is much more picky in playing hd files with DXVA, i gave up in the end. Reencoding all my "wrong" files didnt sound as the right option to me. Buying an Nvidia Card which handled many HDs better than the ATI in me HTPC had the risk that the card would also deny some videos. So I ended up with changing my low power BE2450 with a Phenom II X3 710. So fu.. me DXVA anything that doesnt play with ATI is using the CPU, problem solved with raw power! :)

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    LOL, no wonder the nick, but the issue still remains for a lot of people, anyway re-encoded the files with xvid4psp using the Ultra21 setting ceating mkv, and now all files play with dxva, and more importantly will use PDVD8\9 codec, just in case you wish to only use the one codec on your system.

Synthetic

Portal Pro
    March 23, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Even using a different Codec (PDVD9 from Trial version) does not solve the problem, so I think this has something to do with the old encoder used for this file as newer files work perfectly. Doesn't bother me anymore.

P.S.: Tried disabling CnQ, didn't work either.

Thanks everyone for the support :)

coryking

Portal Member
    May 11, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Even using a different Codec (PDVD9 from Trial version) does not solve the problem, so I think this has something to do with the old encoder used for this file as newer files work perfectly. Doesn't bother me anymore.

P.S.: Tried disabling CnQ, didn't work either.

Thanks everyone for the support :)

I was having the same problem that you are, with pretty much the same setup as you. I have the Gigabyte 780G board with onboard radeon HD3200 and am really happy with it except for the skipping problem when using SAF.

I have encountered the issue of skipping before and it was due to using the audio not video. Previous to using SAF I was using Divx 7 and AC3Filter 1.40 and it was working good except that the color was out and some scenes were too dark (due to software decoding and not hardware). SAF was the saving grace for video but the skipping became silly.

I tried installing AC3Filter again and low and behold, no more skipping and videos look fantastic. I haven't checked CPU but all videos that i've tried in 1080 work fine, and better. :D

It's worth a shot for you anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom