Problems with gentle.cnofig after fresh install (1 Viewer)

splatterpop

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2007
    planet ASPARAGUS
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

after a fresh multiseat installation, I got problems related to the gentle.config file. It first occurs during initial tv server configuration, when the database connection is defined. The error message is something like "Unable to create/modify gentle.config" and something about the root element (havent got the original message text anymore). This applies to to the client installation also (e.g. tv client fails).

Analysis: there are two files of 0 byte size named gentle.config in the %appdata%/Team Mediaportal/mediaportal and /.../mediaportal tv server directories (which makes sense since they really dont contain any root or other element).

Workaround: I took a "used" gentle.config from development and replaced both files.

Greetings,
    splatterpop

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    Do you use a custom mediaportaldirs.xml for your config directory?
    Is so, team is already investigating it. Please still confirm here please if it is the case or not.

If it is not the same, please attach logs.

splatterpop

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2007
    planet ASPARAGUS
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    No, nothing like that. As i said the computer had just been set up, there was no MP-related software or modification at the time of the installation.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Uninstall MediaPortal and TvServer
    Make sure you choose the last option which will remove all traces of MP
    After a reboot, try and install it again.
    Then there should not be any more issues.

splatterpop

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2007
    planet ASPARAGUS
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Please let me say again, there was no previous installation, it was a first time install on a system that had just been built. There were absolutely no traces of MP up to that point.

The described problem occured for first time during (or after) tv server installation, when, as a last step, configuration is started. Configuration then asks for the database connection parameters. They test successfully but cannot be stored in gentle.config, giving off the described error. The error is not in the log.

The same problem applies to the client installation, but you dont see any error until you try to use the tv client. To work around, you also have to remove the invalid gentle.config and replace it with a valid one.

Greetings,
    splatterpop

ichessblumen

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 21, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I can confirm this behaviour... clean installation on a win7 32bit machine.

Attachments

• MySQL error.JPG
      MySQL error.JPG
      62.9 KB
    • MySQL error2.JPG
      MySQL error2.JPG
      61.4 KB
    • MYSQL Stammelement nicht vorhanden.JPG
      MYSQL Stammelement nicht vorhanden.JPG
      58.9 KB
    • gentle.config.JPG
      gentle.config.JPG
      29.8 KB

raceer

Portal Member
    February 10, 2009
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I can also confirm on Win XP.

During install of TVServer (from mediaportal-svn-01-31-2010--14-51-Rev24923.rar) I get two dialog windows that pop up indicating "gentle.config file not found! (Root element is missing.)". This happens immediately before the DB connection test window pops up. I would have expected it to attempt to install MySql (the option I selected) first, but it just tries to connect and fails -- which is expected given that it didn't install the server. I also tried manually installing mysql beforehand...no beans. The gentle.config file is 0 bytes long.

Note: I twice completely wiped MediaPortal client & server (and MySql).

P.S. Someone mentioned a workaround replacing the bad gentle.config file with a valid one. Where do I get this from? Can I use one from my MP 1.0 backed up install?

TV-Server Version: 1.1 pre - svn 24923
    MediaPortal Version: 1.1 pre - svn 24923
    Windows Version: XP SP3
    CPU Type: AMD 2GHz
    Memory: 2 GB
    Video Card: nVidia 9600GT
    1. TV Card: HD5500 (ATSC)
    Satelite/CableTV Provider: Over the Air
    TV: Samsung 1920x1080
    TV - HTPC Connection: VGA

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom