Ongoing PSU for MB? (1 Viewer)

KE_DK

Portal Member
March 31, 2006
Aarhus
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Hi, fellow MediaPortal lovers :)

I have a question for you about PSU for my recently upgraded MB.

My new MB is a MSI P6NGM-FIH (MSI Computer Corp. - Product)
My PSU is a Chill Inovations CP400P which is a ATX12V version 1.3

My problem is that when I close or Hibernate my computer (with WinXP) the PSU does not power down. It continues to rotate the fan within the PSU and the fan for the CPU also rotates.

This is really bugging me.

I have tried almost all combinations of the available BIOS settings, and I can't get it to work properly.

So, my question is: I understand that the ATX specification is now in version 2.2 and my PSU only complies with version 1.3 - could this be my problem?

KE_DK

Portal Member
March 31, 2006
Aarhus
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
I have tried to change between S1 and S3 but this changes nothing.
But as I wrote, this problem also exists when the computer is turned off (Soft off or G2)!
(Wiki about power states)
The computer item in Hardware configuration states that it has recognized the computer as "ACPI multiprocessor PC"

Does this mean that the MB is defective?

KE_DK

Portal Member
March 31, 2006
Aarhus
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Yes, Hibernation does work.. As far as I can tell. Windows shuts down, the screen that states that windows is hibernating shows and the progressbar is filled. Then the monitor says "No signal" but the CPU fan and the PSU fan keep rotating.

Arrgh..

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Pity i cannot find a pdf manual or any other documentation regarding this motherboard from the msi website you linked to, as that should clearly state any power settings in BIOS.

A bit stuffed without this information.

KE_DK

Portal Member
    March 31, 2006
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    First of all, I want to thank you for taking time to help me, it gives me some hope :)

I found a link for the pdf version of the manual that comes with the board. I have DL the manual myself and it is the right one.

Link

If you or anybody else has any suggestions, I am happy to hear about it.

braman

Portal Member
    March 20, 2008
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I had a similar problem before that was down to the fact that in my power options (Control Panel => Power Options) the Power Scheme was using a Custom profile. Setting this back to any of the default profiles (e.g. Always On) fixed the issue.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Thanks for the links, i just love manuals, sad i know, but sometimes you just learn something :)

Will report on any findings tomorrow, if bramans answer has no effect.

cheers

KE_DK

Portal Member
    March 31, 2006
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I had a similar problem before that was down to the fact that in my power options (Control Panel => Power Options) the Power Scheme was using a Custom profile. Setting this back to any of the default profiles (e.g. Always On) fixed the issue.

Hi, just checked that and I set the profile to "Always on" - no effect at all. :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom