Question about TV-Server thumb creation (1 Viewer)

megahorst

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • July 8, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello!
    While having a look into the TV server logs I have seen that the server is creating a lot of thumbs after it has been started.
    So far so good. But the thumbs that it is trying to create are from recordings that are very very old.

Example:
    Code:
    [2017-08-12 10:39:04,565] [Log    ] [20       ] [INFO ] - ThumbProcessor.DoWork: Creating thumb for D:\Recordings\Kommissar Wallander\Kommissar Wallander - 2015-04-21-23_35 - Mörder ohne Gesicht.ts
    Checking the filesystem shows that this file is there since the time when the movie was recorded.
    upload_2017-8-12_11-30-19.png

Is this the expected behaviour?

One other thing that I have found:
    There is an error in the log because the server is trying to delete a thumb and the filename of the thumb is to long.
    Code:
    [2017-08-12 10:39:04,603] [Log    ] [TVService] [ERROR] - RecordingFileHandler: Error while deleting a recording from disk: Der angegebene Pfad und/oder Dateiname ist zu lang. Der vollständig qualifizierte Dateiname muss kürzer als 260 Zeichen und der Pfadname kürzer als 248 Zeichen sein.
    But this file is not there on the disk.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello

While having a look into the TV server logs I have seen that the server is creating a lot of thumbs after it has been started.
    The log entry is a little misleading. It does say "creating...", but actually TV Server only creates a thumbnail when one doesn't already exist.
    (At startup TV Server checks that thumbnails exist for all recordings. That's where the log entry comes from.)

Checking the filesystem shows that this file is there since the time when the movie was recorded.
    Exactly. As I said above, TV Server only creates if a thumbnail doesn't already exist. They're not recreated.

megahorst

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • July 8, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thx @mm1352000!
    Do you have any idea why the server wants to delete the thumb that is not thee anymore?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Do you have any idea why the server wants to delete the thumb that is not thee anymore?
    Well, I can only guess like you!
    1. Presumably in the past you had such a recording.
    2. At some time you tried to delete it.
    3. When TV Server deletes a recording, it also deletes the thumbnail.
    4. TV Server will fail to delete any file - recording, thumbnail or otherwise - with name longer than ~260 characters. This is a Microsoft .NET/Windows limitation.
    5. The name of that recording was longer than 260 characters, so TV Server will [always!] fail to delete it.
    6. When TV Server fails to delete a recording, it adds the recording to a "retry" list.
    7. What you're seeing in the log is TV Server trying to remove all recordings that are in the retry list.
    8. Because of (5) and (6), the recording will never be successfully deleted and will stay in the retry list forever.
    9. Maybe the files don't exist because you manually deleted the recording and thumbnail.
    10. TV Server will continue to try to delete recordings even when the files don't exist because the database entry/record still exists.
    If I were you I would just ignore it. It's [a little] annoying, but completely harmless.
    If it really bothers you, delete the recording from the DB with a third party DB access/management tool.

megahorst

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • July 8, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thx @regeszter and @mm1352000!
    I have deteted the entry out of the "pendingdeletion" table.
    The "remove invalid entries" feature did not do the trick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom