Random change in screen resolution (1 Viewer)

Luca Brasi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    me or cladinshadow? guess you don't mind :) as it is kind of difficult to produce logs (everything will be fine after restart in debug) I'll start mp now in debug mode and wait for bad things to happen...

cladinshadows85

Portal Pro
    February 3, 2013
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I tried disabling ViewModeSwitcher, to which I was able to reproduce the problem. Bummer was I forgot to start it in debug mode. I'll get the log files for you soon.

I was fiddling with other settings earlier, in Windows I usually have the power options on high with never to turn off the display. I also had in MediaPortal Configuration - General -Startup/Resume Settings, Turn off monitor when blanking screen unchecked..

Having the button checked and reapplying default settings in Power Options with turn off display in 15 minutes I noticed it took longer time for the error to reproduce itself. I will try to get logs for this as well but will take time.

EDIT: Here are the logs with ViewModeSwitcher disabled.

Can you try something when it happen ?
    Manually change your resolution to another resolution (can be 1024x768 or other one) and back to 1920x1080.
    Does MP react correctly after that ?

I ran this test and MP correctly worked at the right resolution. Also in log attached.

Last edited:

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Thanks for now after multiple disconnect/connect, i can't reproduce it.

So when it will happen again, go to home screen and see if MP looks likein 1920 or if it stay like on 1024 (with windows resolution @ 1920) :)

cladinshadows85

Portal Pro
    February 3, 2013
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Ok, I have reproduced the issue and can confirm that MP homescreen is at 1024.

After closing down MP and reopening it, its at 1920.... for awhile at least

07-10-20.png
    screenshot at 1024...

Looking at the TV screen its is hardly noticeable of the difference between the two resolutions except for clarity of the image, as at 1024, it is stretched to fit the 1920 screen of the TV.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi,

Just do a quick look before going to work, in your error log, there is an error related to audio device not available.
    This mean (i think) that MP didn't detect the new hardware comes (TV + HDMI or receiver).

I try on my side to reproduce different scenario to trigger your issue but also issue when device (reconnected is not fully receive by MP or Windows).
    So in WIP code, i have add a check on MP when audio device is not ready to perform a scan hardware (but this only happen on my win8.1 if i start MP as run as admin). But with this, MP force a windows scan and then audio device is back and so TV so it should perform the video change.

Now it's to know why sometimes the notification is not done, for me it happen with my multi HDMI switch.
    If i disconnect manually the HDMI cable windows always handle the detection (but it seems not always when i turn off TV (for my testing i use my HDMI monitor lol)).

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Code:
    [2014-04-28 22:28:00,816] [Log    ] [MPMain   ] [DEBUG] - Main: Idle timer is entering power save mode after 300 seconds of inactivity
    [2014-04-28 22:28:00,816] [Log    ] [MPMain   ] [INFO ] - GraphicContext: MP will render at 5 FPS, use animations = True
    [2014-04-28 22:44:29,780] [Log    ] [MPMain   ] [DEBUG] - Main: WM_DISPLAYCHANGE

About here did you turn off your TV or just let MP goes let to use 'turn off display mode' to xx minutes ?

cladinshadows85

Portal Pro
    February 3, 2013
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    im getting an error 404 can't find the page with the link with the PM

EDIT - didn't read you post correctly,

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Analysing log again and i found something interesting :)
    Normally, the sequence is (after detection of screen etc.) :

1- Main: Screen MP OnDisplayChange recreate swap chain
    2- Main: RecreateSwapChain()

But in your log, while it was working on resolution change, a second resolution change happen quite in the same time and like the call about the first 'Main: RecreateSwapChain()' is not finished, the second resolution change call a new 'Main: RecreateSwapChain()' but like the first call is not finished, the second/new call is ignored and then MP stay @ 1024x768 :)

So on the second link to the build in PM, MediaPortal should process the message in order of arrival (so like in queue) it's mean (it should) that the second resolution change will be sent only when first one is finished. So in final when the call to 'Main: RecreateSwapChain()' will happen, it should be executed.

So please :
    Try build N°1 and post log.
    Try build N°2 and post log. (i think this second build should work)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom