RC3 - choppy livetv / no signal / on dvb - thread restart (1 Viewer)

hoppy

Portal Pro
March 10, 2006
Cambridge, UK
1. Card Name: FloppyDTV
2. Card Type: DVB-S
3. Country: UK - Sky/Dragon
4. If you restart MP does the signal come back? (Y/N) Sometimes
5. If you change channel does the signal come back? (Y/N) Very rarely
6. Do you require a reboot to be able to use TV? (Y/N) No
7. Do you know of any tricks to re-enable TV without restarting / rebooting? Start/close myTheater, restart MP

I find that if I keep the TV running, all is usually ok (it sometimes looses the signal). But if I the TV is off for around 15 minutes or more, it never comes back, just get the No Signal message.

Also, when it looses the signal, I restart MP, which always tunes to a radio station at start up, sometimes it makes a hell of a racket that sounds like about half a second of the audio repeated every second or so. Then if I close MP, start myTheater until I get a picture, close myTheatre and start MP, everything is fine.

Anything I can do to help with the investigation, please let me know.

MrMario64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    hoppy, do you use the epg grabber for dvb ?
    I have the exact same thing if I let mediaportal grab epg from all kinds of channels that I cannot decode.

@ default MP will scan all channels it has found for epg stuff.
    many of the times it was the CAM that hung or the firedtv.
    Could you please make sure by looking @ the logif it was epg scanning?
    (When TV is not used MP will start scanning for epg data.)

To the rest of you guys.
    Do you have 1 or multiple TV cards?

hoppy

Portal Pro
    March 10, 2006
    Cambridge, UK
    MrMario64,

I have the option checked to grab the epg from the DVB stream, but I also use XMLTV, so I don't really notice if it is grabbing stuff or not. I will check the logs if I get the same problem again, but I may have found the problem (for DVB-S anyway).

After some more research I changed the "tone" setting in "LNB setup" from 44Mhz to 22Mhz. You get to this option in Television->Capture Cards->(select the card->Edit->Auto Tune. Since I've done this I haven't had one "No signal" which is a record. I even had music playing for about an hour and went back to tv without a hitch which has never worked before.

The jury is still out, but it may have been a simple miss-configuration.

What dish do you use MrMario64? Are you also using $ky?

hoppy

Portal Pro
    March 10, 2006
    Cambridge, UK
    No, spoke too soon, still have the problem. I checked my logs and it did appear to be carrying out an epg scan so your theory may be correct MrMario64. I've disabled the DVB EPG grab now and see if I still get problems.

robomonkey

Portal Pro
    August 4, 2005
    ohdarklord said:
    I don’t know if this is important

I was just recording somthing and it lost the signal (in the end credits luckily)

I get this on certian programmes at the end, I assumed it was because when the black screen comes up just before the credits MP thinks its not getting a signal (because of 0 framerate) and or a very slow framerate once credits are popping up. Might be completely off the mark with that though.

SweMart

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 25, 2006
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I just wanna add a comment.

I have the DVB EPG-grabber turned off, when the "No Signal" occurs I loose all scrambled channels. I get the same behaviour when using my Twinhan CI-TER or my FloppyDTV-T as well as when I have both cards installed.

If I quit MP and restart it everything works like a dream. This to me would indicate a bug and a not a problem with the signal/reception.

Sometimes the problem disapears after switching to a free to air channel and going back to the scrambled one.

I have also tried deleting all of the channels that I'm not entitled to.

When checking the logs it says that signal and strength is 0, I have tried with two indoor antennas as well as my outdoor Trix which according to my Nokia 112T box gives me approx 98% signal strength and quality.

If there's anything I can do to help the developers let me know, I'm very interested in getting this problem solved - I'm on the verge of throwing my HTPC out of the window and replacing it with a set top box :(

Cheers,
    Martin

gim

Portal Member
    March 23, 2006
    I have noticed, that sometimes the Input-Source in configuration.exe changes von Cable to Antenna for card1(prio 1). I use two analoge avermedia m150-d (the other has prio 2), in this cases i dont get the 'no signal' message, but i see the typical black and white points on the screen. then i have to close mp, change antenna->cable in config and restart mp.

If i get the 'no signal' message, it helps playing with TS,TV on/off or change channels (normal/over guide). The effects of 'no signal' are very different:
    - black screen, no sound (most cases)
    - black screen, but right sound (few times)
    - correct livetv, correct sound, no signal disappears automatically (few times)

I also get a black screen, but no 'no signal' error when i start mp and mp starts immediate/automatically one recording (cause programmed), then i have to change the channels over the guide a few times and i get tv with the other card.

hope its a small hint.

P.S. EPGGrabbing was activated, but no 'EPG' entry in mediaportal.log

P.P.S. recording with both cards causes two choppy recordings, cpu-usage max 70% @2.4Ghz/512 Ram P4 (even if TV is turned off)

hoppy

Portal Pro
    March 10, 2006
    Cambridge, UK
    Mind you, I still get this in the MediaPortal.log:

DVBGraph: grab epg for BBC 6 Music

But then in the epg.log:

epg-grab: EPG grabber disabled.

Both these log entries are made at the same time, so I'm not sure if a call has been made to the epg grabber which does nothing about it, or if it has actually done something, maybe tried to grab the now/next...

Elconejo

Portal Pro
    May 9, 2005
    Belgium
    1. Card Name: Hauppauge WinTV-PVR USB2
    2. Card Type: Analog cable
    3. Country:Belgium
    4. If you restart MP does the signal come back? (Y/N) Yes
    5. If you change channel does the signal come back? (Y/N) No
    6. Do you require a reboot to be able to use TV? (Y/N)No
    7. Do you know of any tricks to re-enable TV without restarting / rebooting?

Mp version: RC4

If I watch tv with timeshifting disabled i loose signal after about 22min.
    When i turn timeshifting on, i get the tv signal back.
    Now i always watch tv with timeshifting so i don't loose the signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom