Ready for Testing - PowerScheduler++ integrated in MediaPortal 1.4 (1 Viewer)

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Bumping this thread. Any more testing? Any known issues?
    If there are no known issues, what is the next stage? Code review? Documentation (needed?).
    Thanks!
    I agree they are great, but not ready to be moved because they still document it as an extension. Imo we need a What's New page - could be simple - to say what is changed - e.g. how do you install it with MP 1.5.0? Is it installed as part of MP instead of the old powerscheduler or still via MPEI? how do you access it in config - the same as old powerscheduler or the way it is described in the docs you want to move? (i assume there is no change really since PS++ always replaced PS plugin anyways) The What's new page can simply indicate the changes between it being an extension vs integrated and link to the current docs. That way once 1.5.0 is released the @Docs Team knows to move the pages to TV-Server Config > Plugins. At that time we should manually redirect the old PowerScheduler page to the new one so that anyone who accesses old links to either that page or to PS++ pages will be auto redirected to the new location of the PS++ pages.
    I will have a look at the documentation, as Dadeo said. But what about a code review? The code is available at github, so if we need a review it could be done...

Michael

@tourettes

what do you think? I am guessing there are many changes in the code, so a review will take a little time. The main thing is to decide what needs to be done and who can do it.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    what do you think? I am guessing there are many changes in the code, so a review will take a little time. The main thing is to decide what needs to be done and who can do it.

Review needs to be done - dev should create it in Jira. All other developers are capable of doing parts in the review.

vuego

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 5, 2006
    Göteborg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I agree they are great, but not ready to be moved because they still document it as an extension.
    Imo we need a What's New page - could be simple - to say what is changed - e.g.
    • how do you install it with MP 1.5.0? Is it installed as part of MP instead of the old powerscheduler or still via MPEI?
    • how do you access it in config - the same as old powerscheduler or the way it is described in the docs you want to move? (i assume there is no change really since PS++ always replaced PS plugin anyways)
    The What's new page can simply indicate the changes between it being an extension vs integrated and link to the current docs. That way once 1.5.0 is released the @Docs Team knows to move the pages to TV-Server Config > Plugins. At that time we should manually redirect the old PowerScheduler page to the new one so that anyone who accesses old links to either that page or to PS++ pages will be auto redirected to the new location of the PS++ pages.
    I went ahead and created a What's New page for this issue.

Dadeo: we might need your help creating the redirection (and remove the old PowerScheduler page?). I'm not sure how to do it.

michael_t: If PowerScheduler++ is installed with MP, I guess we can remove the Installation page, right?

michael_t

Portal Pro
    November 30, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Review needs to be done - dev should create it in Jira. All other developers are capable of doing parts in the review.
    I tried to create a review for my JIRA entry this morning, but did not manage to make it - despite I read chefkoch's forum and wiki entries. I cannot create a review out of the JIRA issue (there is no "create review" button like in the example screenshots - I do not even see how to link the github / fisheye code branch to the JIRA issue:confused:). I was successful in creating a review (accidentially I created two of them) out of the fisheye branch overwiew, but this contained no files and I have no idea how to add them. I am sorry, but I have not hours of time to try and try and try, so I would ask someone who knows all this better than me to create a review for the EXP-Replace_PS_by_PS++ branch and connect it to the corresponding JIRA issue.

Michael

Last edited:

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Yep if i understand and all will be semi auto :)
    We need to put issue key (MP1-XXXX) in all commit :p
    But it seems we can manually add it to code review but more complicated lol

chefkoch

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2004
    Dresden / Munich / Maastricht
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have not hours of time to try and try and try, so I would ask someone who knows all this better than me to create a review for the EXP-Replace_PS_by_PS++ branch and connect it to the corresponding JIRA issue.
    I have not hours of time to explain it over and over again so I rather link to an quote the appropriate parts in documentation ;)

Assuming you properly added the JIRA's issue key to each commit message, JIRA is able to list all the changesets related to a specific issue within the source code tab. From there you are also easily able to create a code reviews for all the changesets linked to the issue or only a single changeset.
    source: http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/9_...eviews#Creating_code_reviews_from_within_JIRA

In case your commits are not linked properly to a JIRA issue you can also create acode review from within Crucible.
    From within FishEye you can create a new review while:......
    source:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/9_...ing_code_reviews_if_changesets_are_not_linked

There I also added the following
    Attention: This only creates a review for one changeset (commit). If you want to include more than this single commit, i.e. all commits of a branch see Adding content to existing reviews.

Yep if i understand and all will be semi auto :)
    It's is also possible to use smart commits, but I don't want to overload our devs with "too much information" and alternatives to choose from, which would requires understanding each of them before being able to make a choice.

We need to put issue key (MP1-XXXX) in all commit :p
    Yep, that's makes it easier for the moment you initially create the review, but adding new commits to existing reviews has to be done "manually". The button in JIRA is only for creating a review, iirc.

But it seems we can manually add it to code review but more complicated lol
    Depends on the size of the branch. The CableCard one was a bigger branch and took a quite a bit time to do properly, but a review for 15 commits should be done easily in 5 to 10 minutes once you are used to it. And in case the JIRA issue keys are included in the commit message it's once click in JIRA so less than once minute.

I want to make it clear again:
    • I am not responsible for having code reviews as a requirement for the merge. That was a team decision that has been made after weeks and months of discussion back and forth.
    • It was possible to do these reviews also already since years by using github, forum and IRC like we did it for MP2.
    • There were always requests for a tool for doing code reviews, keeping track of the status and things like comments and who approved this code and when.
    BUT
    • If Crucible is being used and things are not clear how to do it, I am happy to explain the possibilities and document them.
    • If these things are either not read or the amount of time or the effort to try to understand them are too much, then I can not do anything about it. I can not re-code fisheye and Crucible to be more "developer friendly" or I can not change the developing workflow and let a MP1 lead developer magically appear who does these reviews without Crucible.

Nevertheless, maybe the smart commits might help those devs who don't want to use the Crucible GUI to create reviews but remember to add some additional commands to each commit message for each commit. This needs to be tested first and documented, but might need take some time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom