Really bad video playback (1 Viewer)

perry59

Portal Member
June 17, 2007
Lebanon, Oregon
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Video playback is so bad its not even usable.
Most of my ripped-to-hd dvds just show a black screen. When they do play they are very slow and jerky. The preview window plays them ok though. So I cant even use this for video. Tried every codec listed in MP. The same videos play fine with other players.
Going to ffdshow helped a lot, but not nearly enough.
Not sure if this is a bug per se or if this is the proper place to report it. Sorry if not.
Also, heres the logs from testtool.

perry59

Portal Member
June 17, 2007
Lebanon, Oregon
Home Country
Just to update machine config...

TV-Server Version:
MediaPortal Version: 0.2.3 rc3
MediaPortal Skin: xface
Windows Version: Windows xp sp2
CPU Type: Intel pentium mobies 1600 mghz
HDD: western digital 500 mg usb2 7200 rpm
Memory: 1 gig DDR 333mghz
Motherboard: Dell OT1957
Motherboard Chipset: Intel 82855PM
Motherboard Bios: Phoenix 1.10 A09
Video Card: nvidia Quadro FX go 700
Video Card Driver:
Sound Card: sigmatel c-major
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card:
1. TV Card Type:
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec:
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote:
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection:

Mr Hipp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2006
    Malmö
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Well you are having quite high screen resolution - 1920x1200 and using ffdshow.

As far as I know ffdshow does not support dxva. That is why it is so slow. Try using a decoder that supports dxva.

Mr Hipp

OleJ

Portal Pro
    September 13, 2006
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi Perry

Please try just using MPV Codec and post logs from what happens when you use this.

Do I understand you correctly that you've had it working fine with earlier versions of MP?
    In such case, which was the latest you used where it worked?

------------------------

Looking through Perrys logs, what I see is the same jumble of pins as I see when I have problems with RC3 (and late RC2).

Don't know for sure if it's relevant as I'm no developer, but perhaps try comparing my log from https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/dvd_menu_audio_choppy-t29798.html with Perrys log.

-----------------

Oh and Mr. Hipp:
    Perry states that the only codec that will give him anything near decent playback is ffdshow and that he has already tried all other codecs listed.

Mr Hipp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2006
    Malmö
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Ole and Perry
    I have had the same problem my self when I ran ffdshow. Please enable OSD CPU load in ffdshow. If I am right you CPU load should be around 100 %.

Mr Hipp

perry59

Portal Member
    June 17, 2007
    Lebanon, Oregon
    Home Country
    Thanks for the input guys.
    Yes, I tried all the codecs listed in MP, its "native" ones plus cyberlink, intervideo, etc etc.
    All were totally useless, black screens, freezes. Only ffdshow would even show motion video
    but slow and jerky. MP still abruptly croaks sometimes when switching between movies.
    RC2 worked much better, but still not silky smooth. All movies play just fine though with WinDvd, PowerDvd,
    TheaterTek and even Windows media player.
    I'll try the OSD setting as soon as I get home Mr Hipp. Sure hope something works, I really like MP.
    (Downloaded a trial of SageTV and it played movies fine too, but it has its own issues, wma bugs, not
    as flexible and costs money to boot!)

Mr Hipp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2006
    Malmö
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Ok, I would try this.

Select WinDVD as decoder in DVD codec configuration. make sure "Turn of DXVA" is not checked.
    In direct show filter control - WinDVD make sure Enable DXVA and Enable HWMC is checked.

And for better PQ quality make sure in "Video Mixing Render 9 Advanced Settings"
    Use none square mixing is checked. Wait with enabling VMR9 filtering Mode until you get ok playback.

Mr Hipp

OleJ

Portal Pro
    September 13, 2006
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hei Mr Hipp

Da måsta jag forsøka säga detta på svenskt: Problemet er inte ffdshow. Problemet er Video-avspelning i RC3. Han har reda forsøket alla andra codecs til video. Ffdshow var den endasta som vilja spela bara liten.
    Det er inte bra at föreslaga WinDVD då det er ett köpps-produkt.

In english:
    Hello Mr Hipp
    Then I'll have to try to say this in swedish: The problem isn't ffdshow. The problem is playing video in RC3.
    He has already tried all his other codecs for video. FFdshow was the only one giving him just a little playback.
    Proposing WinDVD isn't the best solution since it's something he has to go pay for.

I've always understood MediaPortal as being all about open source.
    Therefore MediaPortal should be able to play "any" content using free or open codecs. Especially the included ones (MPA+MPV).

Now: In 0.2.2.0 final MPA+MPV would play all this content, but suddenly with 0.2.3.0 RCx it doesn't work.

So when Perry post his problems the solution shouldn't be "Just buy somthing proprietary". Then you might as well just tell him to buy Vista and use MCE or buy XP MCE.

I hope any of the above is getting through...

I've used MP for years and I'm very happy and glad for the energy that has been put into the application. Don't hesitate in believing the fact I'm very grateful. Which is also why I get engaged here :)

Mr Hipp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2006
    Malmö
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    In order to play video in 1920x1200. The decoder must support hardware acceleration (DXVA). None of the
    open source decoders does that. And if we talk about DVD playback none of the open source decoders handles menus properly. So, Ole now maybe you understand why I recommend a comercial. Perry's need to do the following if he want to use open source is 1) Lower the resolution and 2) Be without DVD menus. For most people 2) is not an option ;)

perry59

Portal Member
    June 17, 2007
    Lebanon, Oregon
    Home Country
    I'll try all the above tonight and post back.
    Thing is though, I've always run at 1920x1200 resolution and it worked ok until RC3

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom