Recommendations based on my viewing (1 Viewer)

Shangostar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 27, 2009
    Somerset
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Is it possible to set trakt to recommend shows and movies based only on my viewing?

Recently set up trakt for a mate and despite him having completely different taste in Genres to me, his recommended list is identical to mine so it seems recommendations are based purely on the general most popular shows.

This kind of makes it a bit pointless if the recommendations are generalised and it's recommending you shows that are far from what you will actually like.

Cheers

Edit

Also noticed it recommends you shows and movies that are already in your watched list, seems like it doesn't look at your viewing history at all when recommending you things, would this be correct?

Also I realise as I type this may be outside the scope of the plugin and just how the website works :(

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you setup filtering so it doesn't show/recommend movies you have already watched. I'm pretty sure I'm using this feature myself already.

with regards to recommendations, goto trakt.com, I think it explains how recommendations are made. I agree that the recommendations arn't great, I prefer to keep an eye on trending movies and add things to my watch list from there.

Also are you getting "watched list" and "watch list" confused, they are two separate entities.

Shangostar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 27, 2009
    Somerset
    Home Country
    No, no confusion there, I don't really use it a lot tbh I dont find it of much use and I find it a bit too similar to social networking but for your HTPC, but I had a look today as I wanted to check out some new shows, I thought I was mistaken and Glee might actually be similar to Breaking Bad but maybe I was right after all :)

Will check out how it makes it's recommendations though but it looks to be just what is currently popular over all users.

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Recommendations will never show you watched films/shows but it can show you items that are in your WatchList (things you want to watch). Recommendations get a little better as you rate more items, you can also dismiss items if you are not interested. On Movie nights I find genre filtering works well for Recommendations, so that might help your friend. Filtering can be done in GUI->Trakt->Recommendations if your skin supports it.

Shangostar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 27, 2009
    Somerset
    Home Country
    Thanks, I'll take a deeper look into it, I guess i never really made the most out of it

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom