[solved] Recording cut short when second tuner used (1 Viewer)

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    One last teething problem with my new build...

I have a dual DVB-S2 card (TBS 6982). If there's a recording using one tuner, then another recording starts (or somebody watches live TV) on another transponder, everything appears fine (tunes to new channel, recording appears to be continuing). But when you go to watch the recording the file is cut short at the time when the second tuner was used.

I've run a test this morning with debug logs to see if we can work out what's going on.
    10:27:19, recording started - uses tuner 10.
    10:28:09, timeshift of another channel started - knows tuner 10 is in use, uses tuner 11 as you'd expect.
    10:29:54, recording stopped manually.

The recording is listed as 2:30 long as expected, but actually only contains 45 seconds (up to the point when the second tuner was used).

It's a completely new machine with clean install, different OS and different tuner card from before, so it could be anything. Driver problem, MP configuration problem? Both tuners obviously work, but apparently only one at a time.

Can anybody narrow it down a bit more from these logs?

EDIT: Hmmm... just noticed somebody else had a similar problem with a TBS quad tuner. I hope it's not a TBS problem that can't be sorted out...

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again Rob

I'm about to go to bed so haven't checked the log files, but I think you should be able to solve this problem by:
    1. Swapping the priority of the 2 tuners, OR
    2. Enabling preloading for the lower priority tuner.

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Well, changing the card priority didn't make any difference.
    But enabling preloading on the second tuner seems to have sorted it :)

Weirdly (or perhaps not if I fully understood what preload does) setting the second card to preload also works if the situation is reversed - i.e. second tuner in use when first tuner is needed. I set a recording to start then purposely made tuner A unavailable by watching another channel. When the recording started (on tuner B) I stopped the live channel and retuned to another one. It did not kill the recording.

So the problem is fixed (yay!) - but I'd be interested to know what you reckon the problem actually was, and why preloading the second card fixes it, if you can explain it without wasting too much time. Is it something to do with initialising the second tuner for the first time causing the driver to drop the first tuner, and preloading gets some of this initialisation out of the way early?

(Thanks for all your help in the last few days @mm1352000)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Is it something to do with initialising the second tuner for the first time causing the driver to drop the first tuner, and preloading gets some of this initialisation out of the way early?
    This is a good one sentence explanation. I won't bore you with the obscure technical details. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom