Recording not stopping (1 Viewer)

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    No. I will regret it 'cos if I spend the money on Win7, I'll have to wait even longer to buy the things I really need and want, like a washing machine, graphics card, monitor (I've got quite a long list so I'll stop there). I think the only piece of hardware I've got that has less than stellar drivers is the Nova-T 500 and loads of other people have been and still are using it and MP on XP quite happily, so if there is a problem I'm sure it can be fixed. I don't see any reason why Hauppauge would have put any more effort into making the Win7 driver any better than the XP one and they certainly had more time to iron out the bugs in the latter than they've had for the Win7 one. Anyway, apart from the Remote not working after resuming from hibernate, since I got the XP USB hotfix it's been working OK for me in XP for some time, both on this box and my previous one.

I have Win7 on my dev machine and XP on the HTPC and AIUI Win7 actually forces better drivers because of they way they now have to work where as with XP all bets were off and lots of sloppy code is around (goes for software too).

It does sound like the problems are more fundamental than with MP though. If IE is not loading 1/3 of the time this is either going to mean something is on its last legs (HDD or PSU?) or something is conflicting.

I am assuming that your HTPC is in daily use so you can't experiment with it without upsetting the misses? I would seriously consider removing all the hardware and do a clean install of XP. If you can replicate the issue with IE on a cold boot 1 out of 3 times then it would not be too difficult to establish whether this is a problem on a clean system.

Then I would probably install the hardware one item at a time and see if the problem arises then. Assuming everything is still stable then I would then try MP but without hibernate to see whether that is an issue.

You can always use something like Acronis to backup your current setup and it only takes a few minutes to restore an image.

Without going through all this there is little we can do with MP as the problems seem related to your setup and possibly your combination of software / hardware / OS / config that no-one else has got.

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    I haven't got any hardware that I can take out, other than the Nova-T!

I didn't mean that IE isn't loading 1/3 times but that the PC is freezing on the boot screen quite regularly.

I've already got a True Image backup from when I first installed XP/MP, so I'll setup a dual-boot when I get a chance, and restore my TI to the spare boot for testing. That way, if we find that a certain piece of software's causing the problems, I can just uninstall that from my exisiting XP rather than have to start from scratch and reinstall/reconfigure everything.

greybox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I can confirm there is a problem with recordings not stopping, or stopping not as scheduled (1-2 hours later).
    I am using comskip and minidisplay plugins.

globaldonkey

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2007
    Home Country
    +1 for this problem. Seems to have started with 1.1.1. I have had my drive fill up with 50GB .ts recording files on a couple of occasions. Will post logs next time I can trap it, but I think its related to the TV Server process spawning problem (ie comskip).

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    Is comskip a common factor for everyone seeing this problem?

To put it another way, is anyone seeing this and not using comskip?

Mark

globaldonkey

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2007
    Home Country
    Actually, I looked through a few of the big recordings I had made. It looks like it might be back to back schedules that are the problem. I am successfully making correct recordings most of the time (even with comskip enabled and the run dll popup happening). The problem recordings seem to be those that have been scheduled back to back.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: Recording not stopping

It looks like it might be back to back schedules that are the problem. I am successfully making correct recordings most of the time (even with comskip enabled and the run dll popup happening). The problem recordings seem to be those that have been scheduled back to back.
    Globaldonkey,

What do you mean by "back to back"? When I schedule recordings by simply clicking a show from the Programme view, MP will record forever unless Comskip is deactivated.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    Re: AW: Re: Recording not stopping

What do you mean by "back to back"? When I schedule recordings by simply clicking a show from the Programme view, MP will record forever unless Comskip is deactivated.
    I think he is talking about a recording on one channel starting as soon as another recording on the same channel finishes

globaldonkey

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2007
    Home Country
    Re: AW: Re: Recording not stopping

I think he is talking about a recording on one channel starting as soon as another recording on the same channel finishes

Yes, that what I was meaning. Just tested with a back to back schedule, but it did not replicate the problem, so that may be furfy, although the last time the problem occurred it definitely was a back to back schedule on the same channel.

Hmmmmm just remembered, I disabled comskip plugin as a temporary measure. I'll test again with it on. Maybe its the combination of comskip and the back to back recording.

EDIT: OK, nothing to do with back to back schedules or comskip. Just had a single schedule that would not stop. What I can see that is odd is that when I go into recorded TV and look at the recording, it has the same start and finish time. I tried to stop the recording MP hung, and I had to kill MP from task Manager.

Looking at the log files, there are a lot of errors about comparing recording files. Also, there are errors that comskip is not launching even though I have disabled the plugin.

P.S. the recording that would not stop was Glee on Channel 10. Other recordings in the logs finished ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom