MediaPortal Skin: StreamedMP
Windows Version: XP Pro SP3
CPU Type: Athlon II X4 630
HDD: 640GB WD SATA
Memory: 4GB DDR2 1066Mhz
Motherboard: Biostar TA790GXB3
Video Card: HD3300 IGP
Video Card Driver: 10.5
Sound Card: onboard Realtek AC97 (ALC662)
Sound Card AC3: no AC3
Sound Card Driver: 5.10.0.6101
1. TV Card: Hauppauge Nova-T 500
1. TV Card Type: DVB-T
1. TV Card Driver: 4.3.27240
MPEG2 Video Codec: Cyberlink Video Decoder (PDVD9)
MPEG2 Audio Codec: ffdshow
h.264 Video Codec: ffdshowDXVA
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case: Custom
Cooling: Nexus 120mm Intake Fan, Stock CPU HSF
Power Supply: EZCool 450W
Remote: Nova-T 500
TV: Sony XBR800 36"
TV - HTPC Connection: DVI

MP woke up and recorded "Grand Designs" at 19:20. Unfortunately, despite the programme finishing at 20:30, it was still recording when I came home at 22:30. This is rather worrying as if I'd been away, it could have continued indefinitely, filling up my hard drive and causing problems and preventing other recordings due to lack of space/free tuner.

Another recording started at 19:57 and correctly stopped at 22:33, so I don't know why the other recording didn't stop. I did install FTR yesterday, so maybe that's responsible for the problem.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    MP woke up and recorded "Grand Designs" at 19:20. Unfortunately, despite the programme finishing at 20:30, it was still recording when I came home at 22:30. This is rather worrying as if I'd been away, it could have continued indefinitely, filling up my hard drive and causing problems and preventing other recordings due to lack of space/free tuner.
    see below

Another recording started at 19:57 and correctly stopped at 22:33, so I don't know why the other recording didn't stop. I did install FTR yesterday, so maybe that's responsible for the problem.
    I am assuming your installed FTR but are not actually using it? If you are using it then you need to report issues to them

Your setup seems to be having many many issues which makes me think something is fundamentally wrong. I believe you have done complete re-installs but they did not fix any issues which makes me think that you potentially have some dodgy hardware or a conflict with some other installed software. I had a quick scan of your logs and it appears that during this period you had issues with EPG grabbing, your graphics card crashed and there were issues writing to memory

Code:
    2010-09-30 16:10:30.125000 [DVB EPG timer(15)]: Controller: GrabEpg - invalid cardId
    Code:
    2010-09-30 16:43:05.281250 [(15)]: EpgCard: Error in EPG timer - System.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingException: Tcp channel protocol violation: expecting preamble.
    Code:
    2010-09-30 19:20:32.531250 [DVB EPG timer(85)]: Exception   :System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at TvService.EpgGrabber.GrabEpgOnCard(EpgCard epgCard)
    Code:
    2010-09-30 19:22:10.437500 [scheduler thread(26)]: Exception   :TvLibrary.TvException: No TVTuner installed

Code:
    2010-09-30 19:31:13.687500 [scheduler thread(92)]: Exception   :System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
       at DirectShowLib.IMediaControl.Run()

All this seems to add up to something not working so could you try a couple of things

Can you confirm if you are running any anti-virus / anti-malware / firewall software
    Can you check your EPG settings (IIRC the Nova T500 is a dual tuner and you are only using Freeview EPG? so are all channels mapped to both tuners and are both tuners set to grab EPG and any other tuners (things like webradio etc) are not set for grabbing)
    Confirm you have installed the DVB Fix (https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...ner-issue-channel-scan-crash-windows-xp-6344/)
    Can you run a memory test (something like Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool)
    Could you remove all the Hauppauge software, turn off, physically remove the TV card, reboot and run hcwclear.exe (available from here) and turn off again. If possible reseat the card in a different slot on the motherboard and then turn on and install the latest drivers again.

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    I am assuming your installed FTR but are not actually using it? If you are using it then you need to report issues to them

I guess I was probably using it as I had the plugin enabled in MP. So this probably was a FTR problem. I've uninstalled it now, after which I had to manually disable it's plugins which it left behind and delete it's dlls and rename MP's TVplugin.dll to get MP working properly, so I'm not that impressed!

Your setup seems to be having many many issues which makes me think something is fundamentally wrong. I believe you have done complete re-installs but they did not fix any issues which makes me think that you potentially have some dodgy hardware or a conflict with some other installed software. I had a quick scan of your logs and it appears that during this period you had issues with EPG grabbing, your graphics card crashed and there were issues writing to memory.

Thanks for looking at my logs, but I doubt there's any problem with my hardware as it's only a few months old and I did a thorough RAM test when I built it. The GPU is just an onboard IGP, so no chance of it being in the wrong slot or badly seated.

I wonder if FTR caused any of those errors. I'll keep an eye on the logs now that I've uninstalled it and see. I don't see which of those errors you quoted shows my graphics card crashing though.

Can you confirm if you are running any anti-virus / anti-malware / firewall software

I'm running Sunbelt Personal Firewall 4 and SuRun as I run using a LUA. No antivirus on this box.

Can you check your EPG settings (IIRC the Nova T500 is a dual tuner and you are only using Freeview EPG? so are all channels mapped to both tuners and are both tuners set to grab EPG and any other tuners (things like webradio etc) are not set for grabbing)

The Nova T500 is indeed a dual tuner and I'm only using Freeview EPG. All channels are mapped to both tuners. I can't see anywhere to set whether tuners/webradio grab EPG or not. Under DVB EPG - TV EPG Grabber I have the channels I want EPG data for ticked.

DVB Fix is installed. I'll run the runme.bat again just in case.

I'll run another memtest when I get a chance.

Could you remove all the Hauppauge software, turn off, physically remove the TV card, reboot and run hcwclear.exe (available from here) and turn off again. If possible reseat the card in a different slot on the motherboard and then turn on and install the latest drivers again.

I don't really want to do this as it's a major pain installing all the drivers again. I'm not really clear what this is meant to achieve anyway.

wonkyd

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Thanks for looking at my logs, but I doubt there's any problem with my hardware as it's only a few months old and I did a thorough RAM test when I built it. The GPU is just an onboard IGP, so no chance of it being in the wrong slot or badly seated.

It is possible the graphics crash was caused by bad drivers, are you running the latest ATI drivers for XP?

I'll run another memtest when I get a chance.

Firstly ensure all your memory timings & voltages are set correctly and if possible try to test with a separate graphics card installed. The trouble with testing with onboard graphics is that it reserves some of the memory so if there is a fault with it memtest may not detect it.

I don't really want to do this as it's a major pain installing all the drivers again. I'm not really clear what this is meant to achieve anyway.

It seems like a pain and it's the most frustrating thing in the world but welcome to PC troubleshooting. It took me 6 months to narrow a problem on my machine that caused a crash to a black screen down to a incompatible hard drive.

Something that may be worth doing is taking advantage of your hardware and upgrading to Windows 7. It may seem like a big cost but the amount of problems it solves it's well worth it. I would put money on your problems being down to a mix of XP and drivers so the newer driver architectures and better support of Win7 would solve all your issues.

Malingo

Portal Pro
    July 26, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    jameson_uk, do you really mean the graphics card crashed, or was that a typo and you meant the TV card? (Edit: Ah, now I see it. No wonder I don't find it when I look into the wrong log, sorry)

If there is indeed a problem with the graphics card, it might also be worth looking at the temperatures.
    My system was going with the standard Northbridge cooler to temps above 100°C(!) on the Northbridge, and then unsurprisingly just crashed.

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    It is possible the graphics crash was caused by bad drivers, are you running the latest ATI drivers for XP?

I thought I was, but actually I'm still on 10.5, so I'll update those.

Firstly ensure all your memory timings & voltages are set correctly and if possible try to test with a separate graphics card installed. The trouble with testing with onboard graphics is that it reserves some of the memory so if there is a fault with it memtest may not detect it.

I know the timings are OK, at their default 5-7-7-24 and 1066Mhz (533x2). Voltage is on 1.92v I think. Anyway, I doubt my previous memory tests would have passed if there was any problem with the settings. This motherboard actually has a RAM test in the BIOS, so I used that as well as memtest, which may allow it to test more of the RAM than when Windows is loaded and using some of it for the onboard graphics. I don't have access to a graphics card, so the best I can do is set the allocated video memory to the minimum in the BIOS (128MB I think).

It seems like a pain and it's the most frustrating thing in the world but welcome to PC troubleshooting. It took me 6 months to narrow a problem on my machine that caused a crash to a black screen down to a incompatible hard drive.

Heh, I don't need a welcome to PC troubleshooting thanks, I've been doing it for about 10 years now (my greying hairs testify to that), so I already know what a pain it is. I recently had 2 hard drives trashed, due to a faulty PSU that didn't cause any problems with the rest of the system!

Something that may be worth doing is taking advantage of your hardware and upgrading to Windows 7. It may seem like a big cost but the amount of problems it solves it's well worth it. I would put money on your problems being down to a mix of XP and drivers so the newer driver architectures and better support of Win7 would solve all your issues.

Sorry, but I don't see starting again with a new OS as troubleshooting, that's just giving up and handing over yet more money to the people who make our lives so difficult in the first place! If it's impossible to get the Nova remote working properly after resuming from hibernate, I could just use standby instead or buy an MCE remote, which will be a lot cheaper than buying Win7.

I've noticed that HCWHelper crashes a lot, even after a cold boot. It tends to happen when I close MP, so maybe that might give us a clue where the problem is.

If there is indeed a problem with the graphics card, it might also be worth looking at the temperatures. My system was going with the standard Northbridge cooler to temps above 100°C(!) on the Northbridge, and then unsurprisingly just crashed.

Unfortunately I'm not sure this board can measure the IGP temp, but all the temps it does report are below 45C. My case doesn't even have a front on it at the moment, so it's rather well ventilated :)

ARE2

Portal Pro
    May 9, 2008
    Germany
    Home Country
    Poland Poland
    Hi,

I was using RC5 before I updated last weekend to latest MP SVN and gues what happend... same problem occured with recording on my side. It just doesn't won't stop now! Even trying to do so manually makes no change. And furthermore my htpc seems to be hanging after trying to stop it manually and I had no Hardware problems before and can tell you that changing to newest MP changed nothing concerning that!

Now I'm at work so I can't provide logs, but just wanted to tell you the there's someone else who has the same problem and I will provide some logs later if it's ok that it is a SVN version that I'm jusing???

Regards
    ARE2

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    Hi,

I was using RC5 before I updated last weekend to latest MP SVN and gues what happend... same problem occured with recording on my side. It just doesn't won't stop now! Even trying to do so manually makes no change. And furthermore my htpc seems to be hanging after trying to stop it manually and I had no Hardware problems before and can tell you that changing to newest MP changed nothing concerning that!

Now I'm at work so I can't provide logs, but just wanted to tell you the there's someone else who has the same problem and I will provide some logs later if it's ok that it is a SVN version that I'm jusing???

Regards
    ARE2

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...eports-mediaportal-1-1-0-installations-84750/

(I guess 1.1.1 should be really)

Before you report this, I would suggest doing a complete uninstall and reinstall.

It might seem tedious, but maybe your database has become corrupted during the update or something similar. At least we need to work out whether this problem occurs on certain hardware/software configurations, whether it is a general bug in MP, or whether it is caused by updating.

Mark

wonkyd

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2007
    Home Country
    I thought I was, but actually I'm still on 10.5, so I'll update those.

Always worth a punt.

I know the timings are OK, at their default 5-7-7-24 and 1066Mhz (533x2). Voltage is on 1.92v I think. Anyway, I doubt my previous memory tests would have passed if there was any problem with the settings. This motherboard actually has a RAM test in the BIOS, so I used that as well as memtest, which may allow it to test more of the RAM than when Windows is loaded and using some of it for the onboard graphics. I don't have access to a graphics card, so the best I can do is set the allocated video memory to the minimum in the BIOS (128MB I think).

Sounds fairly normal. The BIOS memory tests are usually very basic and often aren't worth the code the written with though.

Heh, I don't need a welcome to PC troubleshooting thanks, I've been doing it for about 10 years now (my greying hairs testify to that), so I already know what a pain it is.

Sorry, didn't mean to insult you. I've been repairing machines now for a similar amount of time, sometimes it takes a fresh perspective.

Sorry, but I don't see starting again with a new OS as troubleshooting, that's just giving up and handing over yet more money to the people who make our lives so difficult in the first place! If it's impossible to get the Nova remote working properly after resuming from hibernate, I could just use standby instead or buy an MCE remote, which will be a lot cheaper than buying Win7.

I wouldn't call it troubleshooting either, but fact of the matter is manufactures bodge drivers together to work on older operating systems. It happens. 9 times out of 10 the hardware manufacturer isn't interested in supporting it. Sometimes you have to weigh up not only how much the operating system will cost (£70) against how much time, effort and stress trying to fix the problem. Bite the bullet and do the upgrade, you won't regret it.

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country

Sounds fairly normal. The BIOS memory tests are usually very basic and often aren't worth the code the written with though.

I've tested with Memtest now, and it passed 2 cycles without error. 256MB was reserved for the IGP, but I'd be surprised if just this part of the RAM was faulty. I'll probably change the video memory to the lowest it goes (32MB) and run the test again though. I've actually started having XP freeze on the booting screen now (IE the progress bar stops). It doesn't happen everytime, more like 1 out of 3, even from a cold boot. I even got a BSOD when booting after doing the Memtest, but as that's never happened before perhaps there was something about the test that required a cold boot (I did a soft boot). After cold booting, my graphics settings were all messed up, so I had to reset them.

I did look at the website for my RAM (Corsair Dominator) and it says it's tested at 1066Mhz 5-5-5-18 @ 2.1v. I'm running at looser timings, but I've got a feeling the voltage is defaulting to something lower, so I'll try bumping that up to see if it helps, although as the boot freezing has only recently started happening, I doubt this can be the cause.

Sorry, didn't mean to insult you. I've been repairing machines now for a similar amount of time, sometimes it takes a fresh perspective.

Don't worry, I wasn't insulted, I just wanted to correct any wrong ideas you might have had. I'm certainly still learning and often forget things and make stupid mistakes, so I appreciate other people's input.

I wouldn't call it troubleshooting either, but fact of the matter is manufactures bodge drivers together to work on older operating systems. It happens. 9 times out of 10 the hardware manufacturer isn't interested in supporting it. Sometimes you have to weigh up not only how much the operating system will cost (£70) against how much time, effort and stress trying to fix the problem. Bite the bullet and do the upgrade, you won't regret it.

No. I will regret it 'cos if I spend the money on Win7, I'll have to wait even longer to buy the things I really need and want, like a washing machine, graphics card, monitor (I've got quite a long list so I'll stop there). I think the only piece of hardware I've got that has less than stellar drivers is the Nova-T 500 and loads of other people have been and still are using it and MP on XP quite happily, so if there is a problem I'm sure it can be fixed. I don't see any reason why Hauppauge would have put any more effort into making the Win7 driver any better than the XP one and they certainly had more time to iron out the bugs in the latter than they've had for the Win7 one. Anyway, apart from the Remote not working after resuming from hibernate, since I got the XP USB hotfix it's been working OK for me in XP for some time, both on this box and my previous one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom