recording sometimes works (2 Viewers)

mrkaras

Portal Pro
December 9, 2006
Home Country
Good to know other people have had problems with this card/chip, I had given it higher priority as my experience had been that is was a stronger tuner than the asus one.

normally I have no problems tuning any channels, even when there are programs recording so I am surprised there seems to be any signal problem, but even if this is the case and neither tuner in that card work the asus tuner should still be able to record or play something.

I f I hadn't tried to connect the remote laptop the first I would have know that there was a problem would be in a few days when I went to watch the recording and found that it had not been done, I guess a big part of the issues is that there is never any error messages when something goes wrong, MP just freezes.

I couldn't use the debug mode thing in the report tool because I wanted to get details of things that had already happened, I would have had to run that before the recordings failed.

I think their was the first program supposed to record at 19:28, but more were showing in red for record in the EPG at 20:30 (or perhaps it was 21:30)

for a time grays anatomy was playing but yet not recording, I don't see that that can be a tuner issue (but doesn't rule out tuner issues for Stargate)

I have put in some effort to the cables, I use F-connectors from the wall to a junction box then converted to the dodgey push in connectors/cables but they are gold plated cable connectors.

the only problems I have seen with standby/resume are that if I am not on the EPG (such as being in my music for example) then PM will freeze on resume, the client, not the server (killing and restarting the client usually fixes it). If I were having tuner problems wouldn't it freeze and/or crash their server?

I didn't think CrashUK was trying to take pot shots, but as its marked as beta his probably ok to wait for people with the spare time to test it, he probably wants to watch TV rather than filling in bug reports so will wait for it to be released. although in my experience the released versions are no more reliable anyway and still seem to get bugs reported pretty quick.

yes at times the AU EPG can be pretty hopeless, not in this case, I were just expecting it to record when it said on my EPG (even if it was wrong but I don't think it was)

I just checked and all channels are mapped to all cards.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I couldn't use the debug mode thing in the report tool because I wanted to get details of things that had already happened, I would have had to run that before the recordings failed.
    There is an option there to gather all existing logs and some others bits were are of use when reporting bugs.

I didn't think CrashUK was trying to take pot shots, but as its marked as beta his probably ok to wait for people with the spare time to test it, he probably wants to watch TV rather than filling in bug reports so will wait for it to be released. although in my experience the released versions are no more reliable anyway and still seem to get bugs reported pretty quick.
    If people do not report bugs in the beta version we can't fix them so they will end up in the final version. He obviously had time to install the beta and find bugs but did not bother to report them so they will be in the released version of 1.2 as well....

If it is no on the roadmaps (Roadmap - MediaPortal Bugtracker) for 1.2 RC then it is not going to change between beta and RC...

mrkaras

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2006
    Home Country
    the bug report thing I just ment my logs are so long and with all the extra plugins loaded because the only option for this perticulare issue was the collect existing logs option, thats all i ment, the other two options would have deleted my logs and got smaller fresh ones starting after this issue started. I did infact use the collect all logs button.

mrkaras

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2006
    Home Country
    just a bit more info: i did soem tests on the tuner cards by using the manual timeshift in the tv server setup and found one tuner to lock (tuner 1 on the hybrid card) up every time, but then later I tried again (probably after a restart) and a different tuner had a problem (the asus one), later they all worked.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again

Do you mean "locked onto the signal" or "locked up the TV Server"? How hard was your HDD working during the tests? I'd welcome TV Server logs...

mm
    :)

mrkaras

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2006
    Home Country
    I meant the setup program stopped responding. I'll try to get some logs of it happening, but at the moment it seems to be fine, I'll try again in a little while.

mrkaras

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2006
    Home Country
    Ok here are some server logs. what I did:
    deleted all existing server logs
    started the server setup program
    waited but it never started
    killed it off and tried again, thi time it started (fairly quickly too)
    went to manual controll and tried to start streaming on all 3 tuners 1 after another to 3 seperate chanels
    the firts time I tried I got a no signal error but when I pressed start eimeshifting again it worked
    the second tuner worked first go
    trying to start the third tuner caues the setup program to freeze, after some time (several times as long as the other tuners took to work) I killed off the process, ziped up the logs and posted.

Attachments

• manual timeshift.zip
      7 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again mrkaras

The logs are *perfect* - thanks! :D

I've seen this issue once before and I couldn't manage to solve it. I did figure out that it was related to the EPG grabbing though. I know this is gonna be annoying, but in the interests of resolving this problem is there any chance that you could turn off the idle EPG grabber and see if that makes the issue go away. If it doesn't then could you try disabling the timeshifting EPG grabber too. I can't be sure what actually causes the issue - could be EPG data format, tuner sharing issues... - so I can't tell you how to reproduce the problem for sure except to say do what you did before and hope... either for lockups, or complete stability.

mm

PS: I've asked for help from the rest of the team to see if we can find the problem and solve it once and for all. It is beyond my skill to resolve by myself...

mrkaras

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2006
    Home Country
    Excellent. I have just turned off the EPG grabbing while idle and EPG garbing while time shifting and will test later. is it defiantly only the idle EPG? can I turn it back on for time shifting or am I better off with them both off for now?

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Excellent. I have just turned off the EPG grabbing while idle and EPG garbing while time shifting and will test later. is it defiantly only the idle EPG? can I turn it back on for time shifting or am I better off with them both off for now?

I guess only you can tell us this.

I'll be honest, I don't use suspend/resume, because I have seen problems with cards after resuming. MediaPortal cannot do anything about this, so this problem cannot be fixed (unless it can be fixed by the TV card manufacturer).

Best wishes,

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom