Recording thumbnails - resolved! :-D (1 Viewer)

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    So;

1. Normal procedure
    2. Windows routines
    3. FFMPEGThat should keep us covered ;)

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Is it in any easy way, possible to contact TV-Server and get pre- and postrecording minutes?

Would be nice to use the seek feature of ffmpeg, to create the screenshot within the actual recording.

SilentException

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 27, 2008
    Rijeka, Croatia
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    Sounds about right and safest solution. But I would even go as far as only

1. ffmpeg :)

or

1. ffmpeg
    2. windows routines

MTN is no longer maintained since 2008 and was always a pain in the ass for thumbs creation.

SilentException

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 27, 2008
    Rijeka, Croatia
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    Is it in any easy way, possible to contact TV-Server and get pre- and postrecording minutes?

Would be nice to use the seek feature of ffmpeg, to create the screenshot within the actual recording.

Pre/Post recording minutes could actually differ from recording to recording. I don't think the current TVServer option is good to use. But, if recording XML contains this info then it could be used to improve recording thumbs creation.

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark

Pre/Post recording minutes could actually differ from recording to recording. I don't think the current TVServer option is good to use. But, if recording XML contains this info then it could be used to improve recording thumbs creation.

Unfortunately the XML only contains programme start and end time. You COULD guestimate the approx. middle of the recording but I would rather it be precise in the first place ;)

SilentException

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 27, 2008
    Rijeka, Croatia
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    I think you can use one ffmpeg option to generate thumb relative to video length. That way you could tell it to generate thumb at 50% of the video without estimations. That would IMO be good enough for recording thumbs.

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    According to FFmpeg Documentation the offset can only be seconds or a HH:MM:confused:S.MS timestamp.

Just did a "quick" test on the thumbcreation, clean recording folder (no screendumps) and clean thumbs folder:

415 files of mixed MPEG2/MPEG4 with ~ 5% 720p recordings took 25 minutes to create dumps and the two different sizes of thumbs.
    This was on WLAN, and considering that ffmpeg needs to actually play the file (I added a 5 second itsoffset), and save the images both on the server and locally, then its not that bad. I even think it's faster than mtn was.

SilentException

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 27, 2008
    Rijeka, Croatia
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    Sorry for the wrong direction, I must have seen it somewhere but not related to ffmpeg.

About the speed, maybe it could be improved:

It turns out that the offset parameter (-ss) needs to be set before the input parameter (-i). That will cause ffmpeg to seek to that position in the stream *without* decoding it and in fact skipping anything but key frames! This is pretty significant as performance improved from ~20 seconds for 4 thumbnails to about 2-3 seconds.

Edit: ignore, I see you already did that :) I also calculated, you have 4 seconds for a thumb which is not that bad at all over wifi. Could you compare performance with MTN?

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Test with mtn.exe with default settings:

411 files (I deleted a few last night) of mixed MPEG2/MPEG4 with ~ 5% MPEG4 720p recordings took 29 minutes to create dumps and the two different sizes of thumbs.
    354 dumps succeeded, so 57 failed. All "DR HD" MPEG4 720p files failed. All files from channel "DR K" (MPEG4 SD) failed. Most MPEG2 SD files and "DR Ramasjang" (MPEG4 SD) files succeeded.

So, mtn fails my HD channel, has mixed success with MPEG4 SD channels and success with most MPEG2 SD channels.

Generally thumb creating is ~ 3-4 seconds, but it spends a lot of time on files that it eventually fails to create screendumps from.

There are some advantages with mtn; it has blank screen detection and blur detection and it can create tiled screendumps. I never liked the tiled ones though ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom