recording tv just stopped :( HELP!!! (1 Viewer)

bibo456

Portal Pro
July 22, 2008
Home Country
France France
Hello All,

I am having the exact same issue. I use win8, and will probably go back to win7...

toplad

Portal Pro
October 30, 2013
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
looks like media portal doesnt want to play with windows 8.1. wonder if the team is aware of this?

JJDoherty

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 10, 2013
    Dublin
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    Just to add my tuppence worth to this one, My OS recently upgraded to Windows 8.1 and the problem as described by others is now appearing on my system. I briefly outlined the details below but suffice to say that it does appear to be the same issue. I have also attached logs using the debug version of TVService.exe for MP 1.6 which @mm1352000 uploaded where I have attempted to record a single program when it has already started. Once it failed to stopped as scheduled, attempting to manually stop it also fails.

When a program starts to record from a schedule or when started manually the following occurs:
    • The program will record indefinitely
    • All other scheduled programs are blocked from starting
    • The recording cannot be stopped from within MP
    • The TV Service cannot be stopped from within the TV-Server Configuration > Manual Control or the Windows Services application
    • A restart of the PC will stop the recording
    The only suggestion that I've tried from the thread was to un-check the "Allow service to interact with desktop" checkbox on the "Logon" tab of the services.msc application but this had no affect.

Has anyone checked this issue with MP pre-release version 1.7?

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi folks

Has anyone checked this issue with MP pre-release version 1.7?
    Let me put it this way: we haven't intentionally solved the problem.

Are you a developer? Seen some posts from you that indicate you might be. If so are you able to try attaching a debugger to the TV service process to see exactly where the deadlock is?

I'm still stumped by this problem due to the lack of a pattern.
    It seems to occur at the same place in the code... but I can't see why.
    It doesn't seem to relate to any particular system event.
    Initially the problem seemed to be W8 specific, but l believe we saw reports from W7 as well. Additionally some people running W8+ don't seem to have any problem. This thread represents pretty much the only reports I've seen - I guess maybe up to 10 people out of who knows how many using TV Server.
    Really tough to get my head around.

Recently I'm wondering if maybe this is related to the .NET 4.0 "upgrade".
    My understanding is that W8 comes with .NET 4.5 installed, and that version of the runtime will be used to host TV Server. I think it would be an interesting experiment to try to uninstall or otherwise disable .NET 4.5 and 4.5.1 and see if it makes any difference. The other check would be to ensure all .NET updates and patches from MS update are installed.

Beyond that I'm sorry to say I don't have any further suggestions or progress of any kind to report. Running good old XP here and don't see this problem. No access to W7 or W8 to enable me to even try to reproduce this problem.

mm

JJDoherty

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 10, 2013
    Dublin
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    Yeah, well I am a developer as it so happens, VS 2012 with C# primarily but I haven't taken the leap to downloading the source for MP yet, mainly because I haven't use GitHub before. How difficult is it to download and setup the source locally? Any notes, tips and/or tricks in this regard would be appreciated!

Otherwise, thanks for the reply. I'll have a look at what framework is installed on my Windows 8.1 setup and see if any changes make a difference. I may also get around to upgrading to MP 1.7 to see if that helps in any way too.

Thanks again @mm1352000

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yeah, well I am a developer as it so happens
    Cool. A good guess from me. :)

How difficult is it to download and setup the source locally? Any notes, tips and/or tricks in this regard would be appreciated!
    Not too hard. The documentation in the wiki should make it easy.
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_.../Building_MediaPortal_from_source/1_Git_Setup

Otherwise, thanks for the reply. I'll have a look at what framework is installed on my Windows 8.1 setup and see if any changes make a difference. I may also get around to upgrading to MP 1.7 to see if that helps in any way too.
    Sounds good. Please don't hesitate to ask if you need help. :)

toplad

Portal Pro
    October 30, 2013
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    happens in 1.7 pre release. im going to wait for 1.7 final to come out then down grade to win 7 again and start fresh. Might be a random stab in the dark but could it be the tv tuner causing the problem? im using a tbs quad pcie tuner

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom