Recording two sequential shows cuts first show (1 Viewer)

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Mr Hipp said:
    Then I don't understand how you manage with one tv-card. One tv-card recording to two files at the same time. Is this possible?

Of course its possible. A (DVB) TV card just allows a program to capture the transport stream, there is nothing preventing the program from saving this to any number of files simultaneously(as long as the harddrive can keep up). However it shouldnt actually be necessary to record to two files, as i believe the Stream Buffer Engine(SBE, as in .sbe files) allows DVR-MS files to reference an SBE file(hence the sometimes small DVR-MS files depending on a large SBE file).

For DVB cards its actually possible to record multiple channels at the same time, since a DVB card doesnt tune to a channel, but rather to a transponder which usually contains more than one channel. I tried this with Twinhans raw capture program(forgot the name, its under Drivers and downloads on their homepage).

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

I do agree that storing the overlapping time in both files would be usefull, but probably more difficult to implement. Implementing the smaller solution (no postrecord for the first and no prerecord for the second) would be fairly easy to implement and would alleviate at least some pains. The way it is now it is worse than any of the other solutions.

Greetings!

broadband412

Portal Pro
    April 20, 2005
    New Yrok
    Hello fellow mediaportians. I'm in this boat too. I am in New York and my shows always start late rather Mediaportal starts recording the shows late not the show comming on before schedule. I have a recorded file that is exactly 29:39 instead of 30:00. Mediaportal is not recording the first 21 seconds of the show. This is with no pre and post record settings. They are both set to 0 minutes. This could be easily fixed if I set pre record to 1 minute but would pose serious problems if I were to record two back to back shows reguradless of what the pre and post recording settings are set to. For example, I have something to reord at 6 PM. Mediaportal starts the recording 21 seconds after 6 PM which causes me to miss the first 21 seconds of a show. If I set the post record to a minute before 6 PM, it would start the recording 21 seconds after 5:59PM. This is find but as stated above, would pose a real problem when recording back to back shows.

smnnekho

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 6, 2006
    Germany
    this popped in my mind some time ago and i came to understand that this is just not possible with the DVR-MS recording engine we're all using right now. so, this will be something for the pre-2.0 release, when the feature-freeze is over and thoughts about another recording engine will come back.

i don't bother anymore by the way. i have to cut out the commercials anyways, so i have no problems to split the end of the first file out of the end of the second or the other way round, neither to record one big file and seperate it since DVRmsCUT plugin for mediaportal is just working fine and fast for that.

broadband412

Portal Pro
    April 20, 2005
    New Yrok
    I don't think this has anything to do with DVR-MS as I also am playing around with Yahoo Go For Tv and am not experiencing this issue. With Yaho Go For Tv, my recordings start on time. However, I like using Mediaportal beasue of the intergrated plugin that lets one cut out commercials and unwanted parts of a recorded file. Plus Yahoo Go For Tv tends to crash on me quite a bit.

broadband412

Portal Pro
    April 20, 2005
    New Yrok
    If my mind serves me correctly, this didn't always used to happen. MP would start recording on time and if I had another show to record right after the first one, MP would stop the first one a fw seconds early now at this point the credits are rollin for the first recored show and since I don't really care for the credits, I would just cut the credits and keep the show. MP would stop during the credits and then immediately stat recording again (with a few seconds of delay but would still start in time for the next recording) Now, MP starts recording 21 seconds late for me and if I wanted to record another show that came on right after the first show would go off, the next recording will start 21 seconds late as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom