Recording Woes, please help (2 Viewers)

elconejito

Portal Pro
April 28, 2005
Falls Church, VA
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
@ torrieborrie

If you can post the template information and any logs we can try to help you out. Basically, you need to tell MP to use a certain codec for video and another for audio. Certain codecs don't work (or don't work well), and most others work with significant compromise.

I got my software card to work using Divx as the video codec, and PCM for audio. Your results may vary.

RE your P.S.... the MP devs have a limited amount of time to work on this project, so they have to allocate their time towards the features/requirements that satisfy the most users. HW cards are the way to go, now and in the future. SW cards used to be less expensive (and more common), but you can get a Hauppauge PVR150 MCE for <$70 now so there isn't much reason to not have a HW card unless you previously owned a SW card (legacy) and want to continue using it. In that case you will have to continue using an older version of MP and deal with the limitations.

If you have the $$$ to drop on a new card its definitely worth it. On my system, recording with DivX used up about 60% processor which meant I couldn't use my computer for anything else while recording (i do not use this as a dedicated HTPC). With a HW card, there is no CPU usage, so I can continue to work on anything else that I want to without worrying about my recording haveing dropped frames or skipping.

torrieborrie

Portal Member
November 9, 2005
Hi again,

I found out that with a DivX codec en the PCM codec sellected I do get a video file that plays.
It stutters a little but I have read some articles it MPF over that subject so to be continued.

My PS. wasn't mentioned as negative as it perhaps looked. MP is a great product and the support in the forums always helped forward.
I just thought that there was some kind of standard in capturecard software like TWAIN for scanners. :oops:

torrieborrie

Portal Member
November 9, 2005
Hi Elconejito,
With "MPF" I mented Mediaportal Forums.
It was the article of Frodo about the hotfixes from microsoft that I had seen.
The problem now is that I can't get the 891122 fix installed. There doesn't comes a error message but after finishing the setup there is no hotfix installed. :cry: The 896626 fix was no problem.

My computer has a Sempron 2600+, 768MB, 1x 20GB 1x 300GB
My graphicle card is a Radeon 7000 with 64MB

I use the DivX5.1 codec and I am planning of installing DivX6.0.
The sound of the recording is good with th PCM codec.

If You got any ideas for me I am glad to hear them.

Greetings,

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    sberube said:
    Ok;
    Video Render Type: Overlay

I see you've fixed your problem but you haven't said how.
    Just in case you haven't seen this bit, you should change your render type to VMR9 as your gfx card supports it. This shifts a lot of the CPU load to the gfx card and leaves your CPU to do the conversions with a lot more breathing room. This may have been causing some of your problems because there was too much of a strain on your system. Changing to VMR9 will also give better features during playback.

torrieborrie - you may also be in the same situation, but your card can't support VMR9. You may be better off upgrading to a cheap 5200 or similar.

elconejito

Portal Pro
    April 28, 2005
    Falls Church, VA
    Home Country
    torrieborrie said:
    Hi Elconejito,
    With "MPF" I mented Mediaportal Forums.
    It was the article of Frodo about the hotfixes from microsoft that I had seen.
    The problem now is that I can't get the 891122 fix installed. There doesn't comes a error message but after finishing the setup there is no hotfix installed. :cry: The 896626 fix was no problem.

My computer has a Sempron 2600+, 768MB, 1x 20GB 1x 300GB
    My graphicle card is a Radeon 7000 with 64MB

I use the DivX5.1 codec and I am planning of installing DivX6.0.
    The sound of the recording is good with th PCM codec.

If You got any ideas for me I am glad to hear them.

Greetings,

Hey torrieborrie, as Marcusb mentions, your video card does not support DirectX 9 (even if you have installed DX9, your hardware doesn't support some of the features). As a result, more pressure is put on your CPU. I just bought a Nvidia 5200 for $37 from Newegg.com for my brother, so they are not very expensive. The newer 6200 models were going for as low as around $60.

Another thing to try (and not spend any $$$) is adjusting your DivX settings. You can try a little less compression/quality to get a smoother video file. The PCM option for audio compression actually means that the audio is "uncompressed", which results in a larger file. But if you try to encode audio AND video, you will definitely get stuttering and choppy recordings. If the filesize is an issue, you can always compress the audio afterwards (I dont know how much that would save you...).

I made this and a few other posts in a thread a long time ago, but you may find helpful still:
    http://nolanparty.com/mediaportal.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=40337#40337

I hope that helps, let us know if it works...

torrieborrie

Portal Member
    November 9, 2005
    Hi,
    I still haven't found an acceptable setting for the DivX6.0 codec, but there are still a couple of thinks I want to try.

When I buy a new capturecard with HW decoding I 've get problems with my graphicle card as well?
    Because MP not longer supports SW cards I think of buying a new capture card. (Not yet decided with one).
    Till then I will experiment with my SW card and if I found an acceptable sollution I wil mention it here.

Thanks so far.

elconejito

Portal Pro
    April 28, 2005
    Falls Church, VA
    Home Country
    Hey Torrie, what settings did you use for Divx?

The HW card will be a great choice for you (not as many issues). You will also see a significant improvement in the overall MP performance with a newer graphics card. As I mentioned above, you can get a slighter older DX9 Nvidia card for really cheap. You could also go with an ATI card, but I don't know their model #'s so i couldnt recommend which ones to get.

torrieborrie

Portal Member
    November 9, 2005
    Hi Elconejito,

In DivX6.0 Main I selected Encode mode 1-pass, 4000kbit/s.
    In Codec I selected Fastes with maximum keyframe interval 5 frames.
    In Video I selected Custom Resize, 640x480, Resize Filter Billinear, Noise reduction normal, Interlace progressive source.

With this setup I get an acceptable quality but the recording still stutters every 3 or 4 seconds like the computer is busy with something else.

Hopefully someone got a tip for me to solve the last problem.

To be continued.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom