Recordings don't stop, end up 40+gb! (1 Viewer)

HappyTalk

Portal Pro
July 16, 2006
UK
I had this problem in rc1 and it seems to have got worse in rc2 whereby a scheduled recording never stops. i get files 40gb+ big. I just freed up 90gb by deleting 4 files! It seems to happen randomly. I just deleted: IT Crowd + Dangerous Jobs For Girls + Harry & Paul + another one I forget... I end up runnign out of disk space and MP then stops working.

HappyTalk

Portal Pro
July 16, 2006
UK
Actually thins morning it had about 8 recordings going!!! it is no longer stopping ANY of them. I only upgraded to rc2 from rc1 to fix this bug. It happened once a week on rc1, now 8 times a day, I think I'll have to revert back to rc1 as rc2 is unuseable for me, here's todays logs.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi HappyTalk

I did not have this, but i was getting 2 recordings of every show, this seemed to occur after installing a M$ security update for MSSql, ended up dropping the database and creating new, this stopped the double recordings :)

Only a possibility

HappyTalk

Portal Pro
    July 16, 2006
    UK
    OK I'm back to rc1, I kept my config & install folders and flipped back without too much hassle. If this ever gets fixed in svn let me know and I'll try upping to that. It's a pretty fundamental flaw I'm surprised it's persisted so long. The tv server must know its still recording and it must know it's supposed to have finished 2 days ago! It's a shame as aside from that its pretty reliable.

BTW I rarely if ever install ms updates.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    OK I'm back to rc1, I kept my config & install folders and flipped back without too much hassle. If this ever gets fixed in svn let me know and I'll try upping to that. It's a pretty fundamental flaw I'm surprised it's persisted so long. The tv server must know its still recording and it must know it's supposed to have finished 2 days ago! It's a shame as aside from that its pretty reliable.

Propably its not going to fixed any soon as it is not a common bug, unfortunately no dev has been able to reproduce it.

To me it sounds like a database issue. Have you tried to check the contents of the database? Also try deleting the database and start with an empty DB.

HappyTalk

Portal Pro
    July 16, 2006
    UK
    delete what the tsql one or the TVDatabaseV21.db3?
    I may try sometime but for now I'll stick to rc1 that was the only real issue I had (once a week or so) and as it seems to be much worse in rc2 no point in the move. I understand re dev not being able to recreate but they could check the code path to see if when a request is made to stop a recording and an error is thrown maybe the stop routine aborts. Logs no help then ?

Derren Brown was one that got up to 14gb (til i stopped it) in second set of logs i posted
    tv.log shows it start recording then an hour later it shows
    2008-09-20 00:13:07.739250 [5]: Scheduler: stop record Channel 4 19/09/2008 23:03:07-20/09/2008 00:10:00 Derren Brown: Messiah
    2008-09-20 00:13:07.754875 [15]: card: StopRecording 2

in tswriter.log it seems ti indicate it stopped an hour after start as expected
    20-09-2008 08:23:58.833 DiskRecorder[RECORD] Stop 'E:\tv\Derren Brown_ Messiah - Channel 4 - 2008-09-19.ts'
    20-09-2008 08:23:58.833 DiskRecorder[RECORD] Reset

-file size however
    20/09/2008 08:23 14,255,290,632 Derren Brown_ Messiah - Channel 4 - 2008-09-19.ts
    19/09/2008 23:03 591 Derren Brown_ Messiah - Channel 4 - 2008-09-19.xml

I seem to have corresponding xml files for each recording that I notice get left behind when you delete files from the recordings page?

Wizard_TPG

Portal Member
    October 25, 2007
    Townsville
    Home Country
    I am getting this exact same error as well.

I recently created a new mediaportal machine and installed everything clean from scratch (including windows). Since this time every show I have recorded does not end when scheduled. I have to manually change to the stream, stop the recording and then stop the stream.

My previous mediaportal box (which utilised the same TV Card) and was installed with RC1 did not have this issue. I do not know if this is due to RC2 or the fact that I am using a multi-seat installation now (One client/server and one client).

I am happy to provide any information or test anything that may help devs.

:(

Wizard_TPG

Portal Member
    October 25, 2007
    Townsville
    Home Country
    I did a recording last night that did stop.
    I rebooted my mediaportal machine about an hour prior to the show starting so maybe this is relevant?

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    I had a similar issue a while ago.
    It turned out to be a rare issue between the web interface that BigKev made and the set up of my machine.
    The post recording time for each program had gone from 20 minutes to 9999999 (or some similar huge number).

Check your database and see what the end time and post recording times are for each recording.

I'm on RC2 and was on RC1 and never saw the issue with either of these in MP themselves, just the issue I mentioned above.

Cheers,
    Marcus.

pnyberg

Portal Pro
    August 21, 2006
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Also, I did experience this when my provider changed frequencies (DVB-T) and channel names. I had episode mgmt enabled (to only keep 1 episode). So I had earlier episodes with the old channel names so when the recording should stop it first checked to see which episode it should remove, then TV-server hanged in a loop.

Fixed it by editing the corresponding .xml files for the recordings to have the same channel names. Then I dropped the "recording" table and then re-imported the recordings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom