Recordings/LIVE TV: Audio goes out of sync after about 10 minutes (1 Viewer)

chrisworkman

Portal Pro
February 9, 2009
Ohio
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Alright, after a little research tonight I'm 99% sure this isn't a playback issue per se, but a recording issue (or timeshifting at the very least if that makes sense). I scheduled a few random recordings tonight and when I opened them in VLC and/or copied them to my laptop, playback audio/video is out of sync just like "live tv". So the lag appears to be happening at the point of recording, etc.

Any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance!!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    If it is not a playback issue then the TsReaders will make no difference - TsWriter is responsible for recording.
    TsWriter is mechanically quite straightforward, so if something goes wrong in there then I'd have expected more reports of problems over the MP 1.2.x release cycle. Keep in mind that the HD-PVR is encoding the video and audio and is responsible for keeping them in sync. It is for that reason that I suspect issues with the HD-PVR. A quick google suggests these sorts of issues are not unheard of.

Can you attempt to record or view live TV with other software and see if it exhibits the same problem.
    Does the problem apply to both HD and SD channels, and have you attempted to fiddle with the recording quality settings?
    Which HD-PVR driver (and firmware) are you using, and have you tried others?
    Have you tried different connections to your source (presumably some kind of STB)?
    Have you got another source (a DVD player,that you could connect temporarily to test if that source exhibits the same problems?
    Have you got any kind of control over the frame rate and other settings that the HDPVR uses?

mm

chrisworkman

Portal Pro
    February 9, 2009
    Ohio
    Home Country
    Can you attempt to record or view live TV with other software and see if it exhibits the same problem.
    Does the problem apply to both HD and SD channels, and have you attempted to fiddle with the recording quality settings?
    Which HD-PVR driver (and firmware) are you using, and have you tried others?
    Have you tried different connections to your source (presumably some kind of STB)?
    Have you got another source (a DVD player,that you could connect temporarily to test if that source exhibits the same problems?
    Have you got any kind of control over the frame rate and other settings that the HDPVR uses?

Yeah, my lag issue is happening regardless of what software/SD/HD/source I use.

After realizing this I emailed Hauppauge and they informed me this was an issue with the driver that came with my device. The tech directed me to their website to download a newer driver that turned out to be the same driver I already had installed via the CD. So I purged the driver software and reinstalled the "new" driver despite they're the same version (
    1.7.1.30059)
    The tech assured me that despite the drivers being the same version number they are in fact different (what?!!). I didn't have allot of time to test the new driver, but even after a few minutes of live tv I wasn't noticing anymore lag. I'm going to keep an eye on it over the next few days to see if this has fixed the problem.

Thanks for your help. It never occurred to me to download the website's driver as they were the same version number as my install CD. I guess I should've tried at least. I love wasting time over something so simple.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The tech assured me that despite the drivers being the same version number they are in fact different (what?!!).
    :confused:
    Wow... just wow. :ROFLMAO:

I didn't have allot of time to test the new driver, but even after a few minutes of live tv I wasn't noticing anymore lag. I'm going to keep an eye on it over the next few days to see if this has fixed the problem.
    :)
    Please report back either way - I'm keen to know the outcome in case this issue is reported by anybody else.

Thanks for your help. It never occurred to me to download the website's driver as they were the same version number as my install CD. I guess I should've tried at least. I love wasting time over something so simple.
    No problem. I usually avoid the install CDs but if I had seen the same version number it wouldn't have occurred to me either. Hauppauge should really know better. ;)

Last edited:

chrisworkman

Portal Pro
    February 9, 2009
    Ohio
    Home Country
    alright, after almost a week of both live tv and recordings all seems well. Obviously Hauppauge was aware of the problem and fixed it despite the driver version inconsistencies.

Thanks again for the help.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    The tech directed me to their website to download a newer driver that turned out to be the same driver I already had installed via the CD. So I purged the driver software and reinstalled the "new" driver despite they're the same version (
    1.7.1.30059)
    The tech assured me that despite the drivers being the same version number they are in fact different (what?!!). I didn't have allot of time to test the new driver, but even after a few minutes of live tv I wasn't noticing anymore lag. I'm going to keep an eye on it over the next few days to see if this has fixed the problem.

I just wonder who they have managed to do such? I'm even more amused that since they know the issue they haven't been fixing it. I guess the user satisfactions is not that important for the company :)

josher

November 29, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Home Country
    @chrisworkman...

I have pretty much the same setup, and am having the exact same problem you originally described. However, I am on driver version 1.7.30059.1 (driver date 2/28/2012). Could you send the link to the newer version of these HD-PVR drivers?

Thanks!

chrisworkman

Portal Pro
    February 9, 2009
    Ohio
    Home Country
    @chrisworkman...

I have pretty much the same setup, and am having the exact same problem you originally described. However, I am on driver version 1.7.30059.1 (driver date 2/28/2012). Could you send the link to the newer version of these HD-PVR drivers?

Thanks!

Oh wow, sorry I don't. It appears your drivers are actually newer than the ones I currently use.

However, I have learned that this is prob more a hardware issue than a software one. The HD-PVR pretty much has to be power off (i.e. unplugged from electricity) periodically. I've seen reports pretty much saying the same things on other sites too.

That said, I haven't powered off my HD-PVR in quite some time, so this scenario may be incorrect also as it's been months since I've had any problems.

Sorry I couldn't help....but good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom